Another ? about stacking firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberwerks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First off, thanks for the great tips from my previous post. The question I have now is, since I plan on stacking a large supply of wood and to come across that many pallets may be tough and costly. Is there anything else I can due to help keep ground contact or wicking minimal? As of now I'm stacking the wood on a 3" wood chip base. Are soil drains well and we do not get a lot of rain during the summer. Worse case maybe I'll just lose the bottom row of wood. Or maybe I'll be ok because what I'm splitting should be gone after this upcoming season.

Dale

Lay down long pieces from the junk tops that you won't use to get the wood off the ground a few inches. 3-4" diameter is about right. Enough for support and to keep from sinking in the ground in May.

However, I think you could find pallets easily, many places toss them after a while and they're not cheap to get hauled away. Probably only cost you gas money. Where I work, they just threw out 2000 of them last year. Had a hard time getting rid of them.

Back