Another Craftsman 3.7 thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was searching earlier and havent been able to find out a replacement bar for this saw. Its a Craftsman 3.7 18" ( from what i have seen I believe its the "Roper" type)

Maybe i havent searched correctly but what I can tell it needs a bar for .325pitch/74drag/.050 gauge.

Any help is appreciated!

Local saw shop actually made a chain for it but I was just looking for a bar, Thanks guys!

I have 2 of the 917-353750 (solid state ign.) and one 917-353760 (points ign.) Both saws sharing the same mounts. I couldn't find any off the shelf modern bars but did modify a couple different versions to see what worked and would be the easiest. It's late and I just got home from work so I'm not going out to the garage tonight to get the specifics but will throw a few pics up tomorrow of what I came up with if that is the version you are refering to.

If it looks like this one. I ordered a bar for mine several years ago from sears and they sent an oregon bar #180PXBD176. There was another # 37360 on the packaging that I assume is a Sears Number.
Cannon

Last edited:
I was searching earlier and havent been able to find out a replacement bar for this saw. Its a Craftsman 3.7 18" ( from what i have seen I believe its the "Roper" type)

Maybe i havent searched correctly but what I can tell it needs a bar for .325pitch/74drag/.050 gauge.

Any help is appreciated!

Local saw shop actually made a chain for it but I was just looking for a bar, Thanks guys!

Are you sure its a Roper? Most were 3.7 17" the 18" are useally Poulans

If indeed it is the older Roper, you can use a Oregon K041 mount bar on it with no mods.

Just ask for a bar for a Poulan Pro 295.

If it looks like this one. I ordered a bar for mine several years ago from sears and they sent an oregon bar #180PXBD176. There was another # 37360 on the packaging that I assume is a Sears Number.
Cannon

Yep, it looks like that one! I looked on the Baileys site and that particular oregon part number says it might not fit the Craftsman mount though.. I guess I just need to call somebody and get some info.

Ok another silly question... if the chain pitch is correct (.325), and the gauge is right..(.050) what does drive link count matter if the mount works on the saw?? I know the mount needs to fit to oil properly but just trying to find a bar for this great old saw.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thats the bar I have had on mine for several years. I just ordered and installed this chain
WOODLANDPRO 18" CHAIN LOOP (.325 X .050) 20RC 74
so your chain should work.
Cannon

Are you sure its a Roper? Most were 3.7 17" the 18" are useally Poulans

If indeed it is the older Roper, you can use a Oregon K041 mount bar on it with no mods.

Just ask for a bar for a Poulan Pro 295.

thats how i just handled it,, i got an oregon bar for a p3300, with a ko41 mount,,, mine needed a little file work to line up with adjuster pin, but it was an easy fix, teh oil holes were right on....

Yep, it looks like that one! I looked on the Baileys site and that particular oregon part number says it might not fit the Craftsman mount though.. I guess I just need to call somebody and get some info.

Ok another silly question... if the chain pitch is correct (.325), and the gauge is right..(.050) what does drive link count matter if the mount works on the saw?? I know the mount needs to fit to oil properly but just trying to find a bar for this great old saw.

Thanks!

The drive link count determines the length of the chain.

Alright.. got an Oregon bar that fits! I cut a couple passes with it today and it runs good. I worked the oiler a bit too, seems to be working better since everything go a good cleaning. Seems the 74 drive length chain is kind of odd, had a chain made for it. Is there a better pre-made chain you guys know of? If not Ill just hit the saw shop when needed again.

Its nice to see the first chainsaw I remember as a kid still running..

Anybody wanna see pics of just another plain ole Craftsman/Roper? Ill see if i can figure out how tonight.

Thanks again!

Here's what I got. This was the first time I got to run her about a month ago. Wish I had better pics but all I had to take them was my phone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats right, I forgot you said you had to do that. The one I had went right on.
Hello Mark
I just got a 917353771 old Roper/Craftsman running recently. Could you possibly let me know what Part# your new bar and chain were?
I believe you used an Oregon looking at your post.
Thank you

Joe

Hello
Yes that is it. Model # 917353771
I called Oregon Tech support and unfortunately he stated that Oregon doesn’t make the replacement bar anymore. Unless I change the .325 sprocket to 3/8 (.375).
I see you have one on the saw. Any details that might help me?
Thanks for the reply

Joe

Joe, I have that particular saw at an old farm house an hour or so away, I just used a pic I had on my desktop.

So I can't get the model no off that bar right now but I am possibly(weather dependent) going down there this weekend if you can wait I'll try to get a number off that Oregon bar.

I have another saw here just like it and this is what is on this bar.

1ST 3700 ROPER CRAFTSMAN BAR INFO.jpg

Latest posts

Back