Another happy tsc splitter owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a TSC 22 Ton splitter about a week ago . I did go over it pretty good checking all fittings and hose clamps , they did a pretty good job of setting it up except one of the hyd. connections was very loose and would have leaked oil pretty bad , all fluids were right on the mark .Its a joy to use , starts very easy and has a throttle control so its not screaming away all the time , cycle time seems perfect compared to my old splitter which was very slow .I love the vertical position for the big rounds and the auto detent is great . I think this is probably the best splitter for the money in a 22 the ton class. And I don't see how you could build it for 999.00 if you had to buy everything .If you had alot of time and wanted a big project and you already had a engine and I beam and some of the parts it would be a fun and rewarding project. Has anyone made a protector for the filter or does speeco offer one ?

Last edited:
I have the same splitter going on 5 years without any trouble at all, not bad for a $999.00 splitter, I had a 10% coupon, so I got a great deal.

When I bought mine, I worried about the filter too.
Never have dropped anything on it yet.

Is your filter on the suction side, or the return side?
Mines on the suction side, but I see on the newer ones they moved them to the return line, that one hangs out in the open more than the other.

Mine too is 5 plus years old with the filter on the suction side and I'm still pleased with it. This spring was the first time I had any problems with it, the Briggs, carb/ governor acting up. I was going the replace the carb which was $34 online. Instead a good carb. cleaning, new air filter and spark plug took care of the problems.
One thing I will warn you about is I got lazy a couple of years ago and started dropping the beam onto the hitch pin when going from vertical back to horizontal and buckled the tongue right where the latch pin bolts through. after repeatedly doing this I almost punched the pin right though the tongue as it is only .090" thick. Some .25" flat plate with a .875" hole and my arch welder reinforced it easily.
It has done well over 50 cords so far, 12 this year, and these are the only times I needed to repair it.
I change the engine oil and hydraulic filter every year and it runs.
I do consider it a good buy.

I'm not to good with hyd. but a hose comes out of the middle of the valve runs to the filter and into the tank with direction going from valve to tank . I would think that is the return ??? I think it might be a good idea to make a guard to protect the filter.

I change the engine oil and hydraulic filter every year and it runs.

What part number and brand hydraulic filter do you use?
I've been told that it should be at least 145 microns because it on the suction side of the pump.
They list 3 or 4 in the owners manual, but I can't find them locally, have to order.
How do you change the filter without dumping oil all over, I've had the best luck raising the tongue as high as I can before removing the filter.

Last edited:
What part number and brand hydraulic filter do you use?
I've been told that it should be at least 145 microns because it on the suction side of the pump.
They list 3 or 4 in the owners manual, but I can't find them locally, have to order.
How do you change the filter without dumping oil all over, I've had the best luck raising the tongue as high as I can before removing the filter.

Filter #s
Fram 1653A
Napa 1553
Cross 1A9023
Baldwin BT839
Wicks 51553
You don't, I just put a cleaned oil pan under it and change it quickly,then pour the oil from the pan back into the tank.
TSC is about 10 miles away and they have them for like $15.99 and I'm there maybe 5 times a year. There is a Napa auto parts store in the same area and he ordered them for me at $8.99 each and had them in a couple days.

Filter #s
Fram 1653A
Napa 1553
Cross 1A9023
Baldwin BT839
Wicks 51553
You don't, I just put a cleaned oil pan under it and change it quickly,then pour the oil from the pan back into the tank.
TSC is about 10 miles away and they have them for like $15.99 and I'm there maybe 5 times a year. There is a Napa auto parts store in the same area and he ordered them for me at $8.99 each and had them in a couple days.

Thanks for the filter cross reference. This is timely for me as I need to change my hydraulic filter.

Happy to hear about the new splitter, here's hoping things run as fine 5 years down the road.

Two year old Huskee 22 ton here (bought used). Still split most straight stuff with 6 or 8 lb maul, but for the crotches and elm, it's great. Haven't run into anything it would push through when the pump switches to high pressure.

I should ship you the latest oak crotch that stopped my 35 ton Huskee. :D

I did manage to whittle a few chunks off of it with the splitter, but now, it's scheduled for noodling! :chainsawguy:

Anybody who says their splitter has split anything they've thrown at it just isn't splitting tough wood. :laugh:

chugbug, you're going to enjoy your Huskee! :cheers:

I bought a 22 ton speeco splitter a year ago. Still very happy with it.

The latest TSC flyer has the splitter for $999 with a $150 gift card.

On another message board, there was a suggestion to use a TSC charge account (do they offer this?) to purchase and then use the $150 gift card to pay part of your charge bill - brings purchase price down to $849. I don't know if this would work (using a gift card to pay down a charged amount) but maybe someone can check it out.

Shari

Last edited:
dhibbs75 and i use a 22 ton splitter,,it is basically the same thing a tsc but we got i from falders,,,been using it for over 3 years now and have had no problems

I should ship you the latest oak crotch that stopped my 35 ton Huskee. :D

I did manage to whittle a few chunks off of it with the splitter, but now, it's scheduled for noodling! :chainsawguy:

Anybody who says their splitter has split anything they've thrown at it just isn't splitting tough wood. :laugh:

chugbug, you're going to enjoy your Huskee! :cheers:

Mark forgot to tell you his rounds are 30" plus most of the time! LOL :)

Changing Filter

Here is a quote from another thread using another method for changing the hydraulic filter and not loosing oil.

QUOTE=Erik B;2480421]I was told by one of the small engine mechanics at Farm and Fleet to tip the splitter towards the foot and you would have very little oil spilled. I tried it and the only oil I had to deal with was the oil in the filter. QUOTE

Nosmo

Back