Another homemade Hookaroon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I lost or misplaced my old Hookaroon that I’ve had for years. I can’t remember if I might have taken it to the property in Pennsylvania. My old memory is not working too good. If it is not there then it is in the tall grass in my back pasture here in Texas. That is not good because I’m sure my tractor will probably find it. I’m still looking.

Well, once you have a Hookaroon or Picaroon, you just can’t function without one. So I made this new one. I was testing it on a very dense Live Oak limb. I kept hitting it and working on the tip. It just refused to penetrate. After many tries it finally started to easily penetrate. Now I have it where a light tap digs in pretty good. I put a slight curve on the tip. It may need more work but it is usable now.

Last thing is I’ll add a straight point on the head. That way I can stick it in the ground and let it stand ready to work.There are other good uses for that straight point. Finally it will need a little paint job.

C343E9AD-CFF7-4C71-8C54-405635370F83.jpeg

It will last longer than you. Nice work and great job

Looks mighty heavy to swing around

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Thanks U&A. Well, here is the final product. It now needs the handle wrap and a screw on PVC cap. The cap keeps the hand from sliding off. The weight is not a problem for me. I’m taking this one to Pennsylvania in case the missing Hookaroon is not there. I need a Hookaroon there.
6827352E-3E8F-45F0-BF93-790E36187696.jpeg

Today I was throwing some old wooden model airplane wings on my burn pile. As I threw them on the pile, low and behold I saw about 8” of the handle on the missing Hookaroon. I yanked out of the burn pile and was so happy to see it again.

I have gone around that burn pile half a dozen times while on my tractor. I never saw that handle. I believe it was totally covered with debris.The Underneath side of the clean handle has lots of dirt attached. Very recent heavy rain storms apparently uncovered that 8” portion of the handle.

I will clean it up and give it a new paint job.
CCE13A96-3791-4B69-9D67-A7F8336CFFF6.jpeg

Back