Another hydraulic question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the valve called that is on the bottom end of the cylinders on some splitters that dumps the oil straight back to the tank on the return stroke so that it doesn't have to go back through the control valve? I'm planning on building another splitter with a 6" cylinder with a 3 1/2" rod and a 28gpm pump. The oil coming out of the cylinder on the return stroke will be moving at almost 45 gpm and the control valve won't handle that kind of flow. Thanks in advance for any answers.

What is the valve called that is on the bottom end of the cylinders on some splitters that dumps the oil straight back to the tank on the return stroke so that it doesn't have to go back through the control valve? I'm planning on building another splitter with a 6" cylinder with a 3 1/2" rod and a 28gpm pump. The oil coming out of the cylinder on the return stroke will be moving at almost 45 gpm and the control valve won't handle that kind of flow. Thanks in advance for any answers.

I don't know of any valve that does that. I put a bypass on mine when I built it that does what you want as I'm running a 28 GPM pump as well.

MVC-025S_8.JPG

You can see it just ahead of the tank. Simple to put on and works fine.

MVC-029S_3.JPG

Auto cycle valve on left that it plumbs into. I got mine from P and J commercial products.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/206143.htm

I don't know of any valve that does that. I put a bypass on mine when I built it that does what you want as I'm running a 28 GPM pump as well.

MVC-025S_8.JPG

You can see it just ahead of the tank. Simple to put on and works fine.

MVC-029S_3.JPG

Auto cycle valve on left that it plumbs into. I got mine from P and J commercial products.

===

I wondering what that T fitting on the end of the cylinder was all about, didn't what to show my ignorance by asking....:stupid:

you are referring to a pilot operated valve, either a PO check or spool or poppet version. The pilot signal would come from the rod side, so when in rod retract the valve on the closed side pilots open and sends oil direct to return line.

Surplus center probably has them. Sun is a common name and good brand.

Not to be too ignorant but what exactly does the bypass do? and why?
thanks,
dave

Nice looking splitter by the way!

As the OP said in his first post, it's to keep all the fluid from going through the control valve. Saving wear and tear/flow though..

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin.

As the OP said in his first post, it's to keep all the fluid from going through the control valve. Saving wear and tear/flow though..

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin.

Can you post some pics of how / where the bypass is installed? I just looked through your splitter build thread and didn't see any really good pics of it. Good job on a nice piece of equipment that'll last a lifetime.

Can you post some pics of how / where the bypass is installed? I just looked through your splitter build thread and didn't see any really good pics of it. Good job on a nice piece of equipment that'll last a lifetime.

I added the pics to the "Catersplitter build thread" Let me know if you need more. Takes a while to figure the best layout for this and it's the only thing I had to draw out to wrap my feeble mind around!

MVC-020S_11.JPG

I added the pics to the "Catersplitter build thread" Let me know if you need more. Takes a while to figure the best layout for this and it's the only thing I had to draw out to wrap my feeble mind around!

Thanks a bunch. Just what I was looking for. The way that it's plumbed, it looks like a pilot operated valve like kevin j was talking about above. Do you know what flow rate and psi that it's rated for?

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch. Just what I was looking for. The way that it's plumbed, it looks like a pilot operated valve like kevin j was talking about above. Do you know what flow rate and psi that it's rated for?

I do not know off hand. James at p and J set me up and he has been using them on his big boy splitters with no problems. I'm sure he'd know the specs.

Log Splitter | Wood Splitters | Hydraulic Cylinders.

Back