Another not so good stihl jug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TW, here are the two questions that need to be answered:
1) does the saw put out the spec'ed power?
2) do these flaws effect longevity?

if the answers are "yes" and "no", then this is a moot point. i'm not trying to be a smart-elic, i just need (a great deal of) enlightnement.

I am willing to think that it is not a scheduling issue with Mahle but rather a phasing out/cost issue with Stihl having different markets with different demands. It would be hard to think that Stihl could not anticipate 2010 in North America and coordinate with Mahle. I would speculate that Stihl did anticipate 2010 and the cylinders are the proof.

I guess the question is, does anyone have any interior pictures of the recent Stihls being produced and/or marketed to Central and South America, China and Africa?

JS,

The "truth" may lie somewhere in the middle. Could it be that Mahle has only so much capacity for Stihl, and Stihl chose to dedicate that capacity to newer model saws?

Mahle having a limited capacity is very believable in these economic conditions. Not many plant expansions going on anywhere.

joat

PS: I hope the next Stihl "poor jug" thread is not because their calendar has degraded!

PSS: Stihl jugs from Brazil? This could really be a good thing.

Last edited:
if the answers are "yes" and "no", then this is a moot point. i'm not trying to be a smart-elic, i just need (a great deal of) enlightnement.

Same power? No, I found the new 660 to be about 5% behind the 066/660 from the early 2000 years, both on paper and in the wood. Average Joe fire wood won't know the difference, but if you race thats significant. Also just as gains can be had smoothing and blue printing factory work, equally losses will be suffered with ports that are rougher and more irregular than factory standard.

How long they going to run? No doubt they will run fine, but it does not take much flaked plating at 14,000 rpm to wipe a bore in a hurry. Some of these bits of plating/casting flash don't look to be that well attached. But bottom line it's hard to argue that these rough ports would not cause a loss in efficiency and any machiene that is below peek efficiency will have to work harder/longer to get the same job done.

I highly doubt that dealers are pullin' jugs on all the new non-strato saws because a bunch of overreactin' saw freaks are complainin'...

Gary

I didn't mean the dealers...I meant the "overreactin' saw freaks"!

Howdy,
TW, It's hard to tell with the lighting in the picture but, it looks like chrome plating instead nikasil. What's your take? There isn't anything wrong with chrome as long as it stays stuck to the cylinder. The reason I ask is because of the chips along the bottom. They shouldn't cause any issues but, I don't think I've nikasil do that before.
Regards
Gregg

:spam:

JS,

That thought crossed my mind as the "other" thread unfolded. This seems to be a kinder, gentler thread where information may be shared and gleened.

TW,

I like the thread title. Good show.

joat

:cry::cry::cry:

:givebeer:

Howdy,
TW, It's hard to tell with the lighting in the picture but, it looks like chrome plating instead nikasil. What's your take? There isn't anything wrong with chrome as long as it stays stuck to the cylinder. The reason I ask is because of the chips along the bottom. They shouldn't cause any issues but, I don't think I've nikasil do that before.
Regards
Gregg

Gregg:
I was under the impression the lighter colored cylinders were nikasil, & the darker grey colored cylinders were chrome plated. BTW I enjoy your answers to posts. :clap:
Thanks
AZLOGGER.

Gregg, it looks just like the early generation BBs, the plating is very bright and shows pollished scuffs very quick.

Just from puting the porting nools against it I don't think it's as hard either. Sure chrome is ok, but it lacks the porosity of Nikasil that helps hold oil.

Last edited:
This is a brand new 460/046 Mahle P&C.

534847929_FWEoz-M.jpg

534847829_yinWR-M.jpg

534847956_xkGCw-M.jpg

534847396_YvFdt-M.jpg

534847415_MCaMK-M.jpg

534847540_pQqyH-M.jpg

534847575_AogWZ-M.jpg

534847640_YhkqN-M.jpg

I didn't feel the need to contribute my fluff to the other thread,thought it was justa fluke, but....I am (was) planning to buy a new 460 soon, but I'm not gonna pay almost 900 smackers for crap like that...
someone needs to tell Stihl about this...now!

I didn't feel the need to contribute my fluff to the other thread,thought it was justa fluke, but....I am (was) planning to buy a new 460 soon, but I'm not gonna pay almost 900 smackers for crap like that...
someone needs to tell Stihl about this...now!

If you're going to mod it anyway, most of the bad stuff will be ground away.

Back