Another not so good stihl jug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way , thats impossible. The crankcase now, that I could believe,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Oh yes, LOL. How many Stihls has that husky sold to this date? 100? 200? Even if it is a pile, it has paid for itself over and over by selling more Stihl.:laugh:

Oh yes, LOL. How many Stihls has that husky sold to this date? 100? 200? Even if it is a pile, it has paid for itself over and over by selling more Stihl.:laugh:

Well in the beginning I used it and had some fun with it but I haven't had it up here at the shop in a long long time. Don't need it for sales.

I just sold a used MS250 about 10 minutes ago. Nice little saw left behind. I had to put a $3.00 over size bar stud in it. Out the door for 175.00, made a pretty good profit on that one. Can't beat those Stihls,hehe

Well in the beginning I used it and had some fun with it but I haven't had it up here at the shop in a long long time. Don't need it for sales.

I just sold a used MS250 about 10 minutes ago. Nice little saw left behind. I had to put a $3.00 over size bar stud in it. Out the door for 175.00, made a pretty good profit on that one. Can't beat those Stihls,hehe

Tommie,

"THE SHED" scores again.

He walk out grinnin', limpin' or wobblin'?

ole joat

Walked out smiling. I'm waiting for Space to remind me that I said I don't sell used saws,LOLOLOL

Tommie,

Good job. You are a credit to mankind. I won't mention your nemesis, the DebitToMankindDonkey AKA DebitDonkey.

Sell away,

ole joat

I've ported three more Stihls in the last 2 weeks. None of them had Mahle cylinders. One was an older used 361 with HUGE bevels on the ports. That does nothing but open the port before it can actually flow. Certainly not going to make the saw not last, but certainly not ideal. Just more work for the builder. The other two where a BN 460 and 361. Stihl cylinders on both. Nothing serious on either one of these, but certainly not up to the Mahle standards of old.

Mahle cylinders traditionally have very clean castings with little to no casting irregularities in the ports. The bevels on the port edges are very nice and clean and not larger than necessary. They look precision made, virtually perfect. These Stihl cylinders have any where from mild to wild casting irregularities, as shown. The bevels are way larger than needed all the way around the ports. They look as if they're thrown in a fixture and ground away without any precision at all. The transfers are often far from desireable. If these huge bevels are already cut into the cylinder, then you might as well raise the port and let it flow. The factory has already raise the port timing at the cylinder wall, so you might as well go ahead an open the rest of the port. It just looks like lazy work.

Will any of this hurt performance or affect longevity? Maybe not. But it's certainly not the quality and attention to detail that we're used to seeing. That's all I'm saying. Period. No, I'm not getting rid of my Stihl saw. Yes, I will continue to port them. I have been disappointed to find that Husky lazily uses self tapping coarse threaded bolts to hold together much of their pro saws. I don't like that either. But these cylinders from Stihl is a relatively new thing and not up to the standards we expect.

Tommie,

Good job. You are a credit to mankind. I won't mention your nemesis, the DebitToMankindDonkey AKA DebitDonkey.

Sell away,

ole joat

Well the guy that bought the saw was a lawyer, I felt proud sticking him DEEP,LOLOL How often does the public get to screw one of them, I consider him a trophey sale,LOLOLOL

I stopped by a buds house last night to drink a few Coors, he works for Asplundh, a huge tree company. They gave them Stihl 210s as their "small" saw, must be cutting back because they were 026s/260s. They have been running the pee out of those 210s, even climbing with 'em. Out of 6 210 saws, none have showed problems and these guys beat the snot out of OPE. Even for a home owner saw, Stihl makes the best imo. He wants to take the 211 for a week but I don't know about that.:dizzy: I'd be in tears if it got smashed.:cry:

I stopped by a buds house last night to drink a few Coors, he works for Asplundh, a huge tree company. They gave them Stihl 210s as their "small" saw, must be cutting back because they were 026s/260s. They have been running the pee out of those 210s, even climbing with 'em. Out of 6 210 saws, none have showed problems and these guys beat the snot out of OPE. Even for a home owner saw, Stihl makes the best imo. He wants to take the 211 for a week but I don't know about that.:dizzy: I'd be in tears if it got smashed.:cry:

Asplundh is huge indeed. Them cats are everywhere. Speaking of 210's I got one here that been run on water and fuel, lost a bearing. Guy said keep it, I said cool. Nice little saw, in great shape. I'm gonna put a $20.00 bearing in it and hope that lawyer comes back for some more used stuff, LOLOLOL

Well the guy that bought the saw was a lawyer, I felt proud sticking him DEEP,LOLOL How often does the public get to screw one of them, I consider him a trophey sale,LOLOLOL

Interesting sales philosophy.

That explains the "who cares if they are crap, as long as they sell" attitude.

Interesting sales philosophy.

That explains the "who cares if they are crap, as long as they sell" attitude.

Really. Well gee guess what, if it was any of your concern I would have called you first. Now hows that for a attitude Ed? Lawyer by chance?

Last edited:
Really. Well gee guess what, if it was any of your concern I would have called you first. Now hows that for a attitude Ed? Lawyer by chance?

It's an interesting attitude. Generally, I try not to post things that aren't other peoples business in public fora.

More like poor casting, not the alloy. It will take much more than 2 strikes to get them out though.:laugh:

I am assuming that the alloy has been cheapened in quality also. I have no proof of that but it would be an obvious area to cut costs. The only experience I have is in casting small bronze items. When the proportions are changed to lower the costs we seem to end up with more porosity. I don't know what Stihl is doing but they ARE cutting costs and quality.

No, not on the market for a saw, got too many now. I was just curious if your in the saw biz, thats all..

Nope...don't sell saws, don't "screw" people, and don't "stick it to 'em deep."

I always thought those were at least 2 different things.

Seriously!!! I just awakened from a nightmare that there was no more Stihl...

:cry:

Look at what has happened to GM. They were dominant and then began to cut quality and service and where are they now?:cheers: They should be a lesson for all companies that want to be and remain successful.

Back