Another poison ivy thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well I guess I have to quit braggin about how I don't get poison ivy. Never used to get it. I could swim in the stuff and walk away with nothin. A few years back I got a little bit. Then later a bit more. Then more. So on and so on. Boy I got into some a couple weeks ago and my forearms are COVERED.
Been 2 weeks and just now getting it to clear up. Looks like I'm gonna have to watch out for the stuff from now on.

Looks like what they say is true. Once you get it, you get it easier all the time.

sorry about the PI, Looks Like a nice Brit in your avatar. I had a brace and then a single years back lot of good times with those companions. Have a brace of springers now.

Funny thing, I grew up in Western PA. Never got poison ivy. Moved to eastern PA, get it very easily now. Even when I go back to visit my parents and cut firewood for them, I still don't get it there. But around here, I practically bath in Technu.

Not a paid spokesman, nor any sort of shill, but before/after exposure try "Oral Ivy". Check the user comments on Amazon.

Seriously worked for me after massive sneaky exposure cleaning up after "Sandy."

I stopped spending money on the expensive ivy remedies awhile ago. I started using fels-naptha soap. It is a bar of laundry soap. I shower with it asap after I think I have been in contact with poison ivy and the soap breaks down the poison ivy oil on your skin. Plus I use it to wash my work cloths as well to get the oil off of my clothes. If you do get poison ivy I found that if you lather the fels-naptha on the poison ivy and let it dry it will really dry out the poison ivy rash usually in a few days. Bonus is the stuff costs like a $1.50 and should be with the laundry detergents. Not all stores carry it but it is all that I use any more.

Thanks for the soap tip.

I just got over a rash last Friday. Yep, about 2 weeks from start to finish for me.

I had done some weeding and small sapling removal around my moms blackberry row. I pulled two poison ivy plants (saved them for last), then washed up right away after. I guess I didn't wash with the correct stuff, because I ended up spreading the oils to both wrists, my right arm/inside elbow, my forehead, and a on my belly. The belly was the worst for itching. Come to think of it, I knew I should have put on some gloves first.

Oh well,
I'm sure I'll get it again in the future. It had been nearly 4 years since the last time.

Cheers.

I never was worried about poison ivy until a few years ago, I was cleaning up a big oak that was dropped and bucked. We were moving the wood around with a bucket loader, I was on the ground rolling them into the bucket. My mistake was wearing shorts because it was so hot out, My legs got scraped up and the ivy was able to get under my skin. At the end of the day I took a shower but by bedtime I could tell something was wrong, the next day I was at the doctors office getting a steroid needle. That was the first time I had a reaction to ivy and now I get it fairly easily.

I guess I am glad I have a good physician. I get poison ivy several times a year. When I feel it coming on, I call the doc, he prescribes me a steroid pack, start taking it and gone with in a couple of days. Usually try to keep a pack on hand in case it comes on during a weekend or holiday.

I started using fels-naptha soap. It is a bar of laundry soap..

Yup...grandparents always had that on hand for us little kids when we used to play on their farm and come home "itchy". Just the smell of it alone reminds me of there.

To the original poster; sorry you got hit bad with Poison Ivy. I'm battling the stuff myself.

And mine keeps spreading. The worst spot is fading but it just took me 10 minutes tonight to put Calidryl on all the tiny spots crawling up my legs and torso. It's really freaking me out, tomorrow I'm driving 3 hours to pick up the insulated line for my OWB refab, wouldn't it be something if after all I've gone through to get my furnace running right I won't be able to do firewood anymore because of PI sensitivity!

PI won't stop me from cutting wood. I'm just learning that I have to be more careful. Like I said. Sucks, till a few years ago I never used to have to worry a bit about it.

The procedure that I use and recommend...

ASAP...

Cold shower, as in the hot water is not turned on. Warm to hot water opens pores, that is not good.

Dish washing liquid, such as Dawn. Made to remove grease and oils such as canola, unlike bath soaps which often have moisturizers and generally do a crappy job on grease and oils.

Plastic mesh bath soap sponge, sheds water and oils quickly unlike a wash cloth.

Decon wash down, wash the specific areas of known contact first, more than once then move on. Repeat.

Try not to scrub to the point of skin irritation, better to use multiple gentle washings than fewer but harsher. The whole goal being to remove the oil without irritating the skin.

It is an allergic reaction so if the blisters show up and or itching/burning has begun the individual's body will determine how severe the reaction, do not wait to long before seeking medical attention. The more severe the allergic reaction the more likely it will be severe the next time as well.

The oil will spread by sweat and body oils so if it is bad wash cloths and bed sheets, frequently. Remember to wash the steering wheel, arm rests and truck seat with something like Windex if applicable. Wash down the bath tub, shower stall, and or sink. Yeah, sharing PI is not typically well received.

Poison Ivy is right up there with ticks in things that make me wish for winter.

The procedure that I use and recommend...

ASAP...

Cold shower, as in the hot water is not turned on. Warm to hot water opens pores, that is not good.

Dish washing liquid, such as Dawn. Made to remove grease and oils such as canola, unlike bath soaps which often have moisturizers and generally do a crappy job on grease and oils.

Plastic mesh bath soap sponge, sheds water and oils quickly unlike a wash cloth.

Decon wash down, wash the specific areas of known contact first, more than once then move on. Repeat.

Try not to scrub to the point of skin irritation, better to use multiple gentle washings than fewer but harsher. The whole goal being to remove the oil without irritating the skin.

It is an allergic reaction so if the blisters show up and or itching/burning has begun the individual's body will determine how severe the reaction, do not wait to long before seeking medical attention. The more severe the allergic reaction the more likely it will be severe the next time as well.

The oil will spread by sweat and body oils so if it is bad wash cloths and bed sheets, frequently. Remember to wash the steering wheel, arm rests and truck seat with something like Windex if applicable. Wash down the bath tub, shower stall, and or sink. Yeah, sharing PI is not typically well received.

Poison Ivy is right up there with ticks in things that make me wish for winter.

Very similar to my procedure in college after a drunken night out and jumping on a grenade for a buddy.

I get poison ivy rash easily. Washing with mean green soap after exposure limits the affected area. It will take about a week after exposure to fully break out, then 3-4 days to dry out. HOWEVER if I get into poison OAK there is no washing it off, my skin turns purple and pussie, looks like the severe cases on google images, and I need a steroid shot. For poison OAK I handle it with a pitch fork and loppers, DO NOT CUT IT WITH YOUR CHAINSAW!!!

mechanics goop works well, followed by sessions of dishwash soap and cold water.

goop is deisgned to cut thick grease, a light oil like poison ivy oil is no match, then the dish soap will finish getting it off. No hard rubbing and never ever ever scratch!

for me, there is a ten or fifteen minute window of intense itch. No scratching. Eventually it gets to actual chills. No scratching. After the chills leave, the itch is almost entirely gone. It's like telling your brain, 'OK, I know I have poison ivy, you can stop reminding me now".

Can't say why, but it works. If you give in ONCE and scratch it...ehh..too late.

So far, P.I. has never bothered me(49 y.o.) but, Poison Oak is a differant mistress! I agree with a steroid pack! Don't suffer any longer than needed.

Stopping The Itch

I've had P.I. several times and here is what I do to stop the itch for a few hours. Soak the affected area in hot water. Make the water as hot as you can stand it. It will also feel good while numbing the itching nerves. Then apply whatever medication you choose.

Nosmo

Latest posts

Back