Another Super Split thread?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, I may be getting a super split. Looks like I might be getting a boat load of wood this year - enough to keep me stocked for a couple, and sell several cords as well - enough to pay for the machine, methinks.

I'm wondering about electric vs. gas. That's a toughie. I'm sure the electric is much quieter, which would be nice, but I may also be using it out in the woods where much of the wood is, and I'd rather not do a generator AND a splitter, especially considering I don't have a generator (yet). It's on the list though.

So the first question is: if you had a choice between a generator/with electric vs. gas, which would you choose?

Next question is, which size should I get? I do plan on getting the work table thingy.

Third question is, what modifications should I do? I saw some people had a lever handle installed instead of the little thingymabob. I also saw that some recommended putting an adjustable trailer jack on the front for different heights/towing, etc.

Thanks!

Gas. Just more versatile.

J-Model is fine for most. Didn't realise they did different sizes though. Just confirm the table/beam height works for you as some people find it too low and have to raise the splitter on ramps or suchlike. Oh and yes, get the table. i wouldn't call that an extra as it's crucial and should be standard equipment.

Mods are only limited by your imagination. The handle you speak of is standard nowadays from what I can gather. My mods include a towball hitch coupling front and rear, UHMWPE table for super easy dragging bigger rounds back to the front of the wedge for respliting. Mods to do are, slip-on 4-way wedge, sorbothane on the handle because after a full day I find my wrists get sore from the shock of engagement that can transfer through to my hand - it's a bit like a RSI.

Some people mod theirs to make it highway towable. I have thought about it but just rollit up planks into and out of the truck. This would suck if you needed the room for split wood on the way home so split the wood directly into the truck.

I think the J model will suit your needs just fine. I would go gas, these things sip fuel the way they run. The work table is a must unless you plan on making your own. You will not be sorry you bought one.

Just a thought, but you could always bring the wood to the splitter and save yourself a few grand by going electric. The low noise level, no fumes, and lack of constant maintenance does have it's merits. But with all your $$ uncle 'stache, you could get a gas powered Super Split plus the interchangeable electric motor, and have the best of both worlds.:D

You will NOT regret spending the money on this tool! I just got mine the beginning of May ( J model ). I still havn't been able to split a real long time with it as I have run out of logs on my landing. Still have 20 or so to skid down to the landing, and then start dropping some trees.

I thought about the electric for the noise level, but it wasn't practical. I find the subraru engine is quiter than my neighbors Troy-Built Honda engine.

Without question, you want the work table. I do not weld, or have any friends that do. Paul does have a trailer hitch available for it which I got. I can tow it with either my tractor or rider mower to where I split ( not meant for road use).

It was definetly more money than I wanted to spend, but in the end, the time I save splitting was worth it. As mr. Finn said, these things just sip the gas. I still have not burned through the 1st tank of gas yet, and that is splitting about 50-55 logs so far. I also like the fact that like my tractor, I will be able to leave this to my kids.

The Super Split is without a doubt, a sweet set up. Don't blame any man,or woman, for wanting one. I don't see how anyone would regret owning a powered splitter.;)

Mainewoods, you have a great iea. I could get the gas motor and find an electric motor to add also. The whole thing is belt driven, so I don't see why I couldn't have both of them on the machine and just switch the belt from one to another. Anyone know what the rpm's are?

Kiwibro, I was going to ask where to get a 4-way, but I'd rather not ship from Down Under. Surely there's somewhere in the states I could get one. I'd rather not weld one on, but I saw some pics of slip-overs. Anyone know where to get one that would fit the super split?

I have a electric J model (they upgraded the motor to the 1.5hp because they didn't have the standard 1hp on hand at the time).
I tried to run it off a 3500/4000w generator at the wood lot - not enough juice. I currently use it in my garage and the low noise is really nice. However right now I'm cutting 100% dead elm - popping a breaker is a common event and sometimes a pain in the you know what. Buy your SS with the gas motor and add electric your self later if you really want the electric option.

There will be those elm rounds that you will just need to save for the hydraulic splitter - out of a pickup load I usually have a half dozen or so (less than 5%) it might be different if I had the gas version - I just don't know.

Somebody on here recommended the gear reduction version if all you ever do is elm. But that's a $4k unit.

Easy to add an electric motor to the gas version- not as easy to go the other way. (gas has a clutch that the electric verison will not) Electric is just a common single phase motor and pulley.

Electric would be nice if you are close to neighbors.

But go with gas... Ear mufs are your friend.
Look into ext warranty if that is a option. My DR-RapidFire in less than 8months old and I've got a new rack/pinion on order after 10 cords or so.

Where do I start????????? I bought the heavy duty model just because. It is awesome! I welded a couple handles to mine under the table(which is a MUST) to ease moving it around the pad. I was going to modify it to tow, but changed my mind. I decided if I had that much wood somewhere else to split, I would just trailer it over, split and then use the trailer to help haul the wood home. To each his own. The only real complaint about it is the table is a little small. but that is only my opinion.

I also will add that I don't think one guy cutting can keep one guy on the splitter supplied with wood. It seems to me that I can split a lot faster than I can cut and pile.

I got the J with 4hp Subaru. Super quite, small tank (1/2 gallon I think), 4+ hours of splitting on a tank. An electric motor can easily be mounted under the gas motor, then just switch belts. The HD model is cool if you have the extra $, but the J does all I ask, 10-20 full cords a year and a fair bit of red elm. There's not a splitter made I'd trade this thing for!!!

I own a Model J , this one was made up here in Canada before Paul's time at SS .
It was a rental unit that I bought used from a fellow that bought it from the rental company a while ago .
Other than dust the little 3 hp Briggs was still the original glossy paint , 450$ delivered to my door from 5hrs away :)
It is not a machine for someone that expects to split crotches and knarley wood all day because you will hate it but it sure makes short work in the right wood .
I know a 4 way would be a waste of time on mine but I am going to weld an extension for height on the wedge of an inch or two .
I'm not saying that it won't split crotches or knarley wood because it will , you just have to think it through and after having one you certainly try to read the wood before you split and it has split some maple easily that wouldn't split for me unless I wanted to spend 20 minutes a round to bust up with wedges because it would stay strung together .

Yellow birch , 5 stems in this crotch .

IMG_20140531_170056.jpg

Flipped after the first hit and hit a second time .

IMG_20140531_170145.jpg

One section fell off after the third hit .

IMG_20140531_170207.jpg

Done after the forth hit .

IMG_20140531_170237.jpg

That crotch didn't take that much time to do , I should have taken a closeup on some of the knots that it just shears through .
Pasture spruce which is loaded with branches and stringy all over the place wavy grain .

IMG_20140608_164556.jpg

Plowed through it , work hard and got it done .

IMG_20140608_181756.jpg

I'll be bringing my hydro splitter home the next time I have a load of that stuff to split .

I'd like to see how the bigger SS's work , if they're not much more and have more working umpf go bigger .
My observations with the unit I have YMMV :)

IMG_0480.JPG You can get the gas and have Paul quote you shipping the additional electric motor and mounting plate. I considered buying it with both but did not. The table is well built and I felt worth the cost once I saw it. Yes, you would think it come with it, but it doesn't. Oh well. I thought moving it about was difficult but no one else seems to be complaining about it. I contribute that to how well it splits, that the lack of a hitch is somewhat minor, and people modify the unit to suit their specific need. Paul does offer a hitch not shown on his web site. NHMike shows it here in post #6. I added fork tubes to mine.
It is important to read the manual as this machine splits differently than a hydraulic splitter, and there is a learning curve. I bought the SuperSplitHD and very happy with it. Did not feel I needed the biggest and best this time, referring to the 9 hp unit. So far my son and I have run eleven cord through it! It will give you a work out in a couple hours time. I bought it to decrease the amount of time in splitting a cord. It takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours for one person with my set up for splitting cut and staged rounds. Tried to post a video but didn't happen. Again, very happy with it.

IMG_0393.JPG IMG_0473.JPG IMG_0464.JPG Now the wait! They come pretty quick... You will need something to pick it up with to install legs; an engine hoist, chain fall, forklift, and straps... something that will pick 500 lbs. Read manual through, add oil and go! And, you will need a grease gun. Hope you have something to feed it...

Back