Another tree id please

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodman, now that you have it cut, take 5X magnification and look at the end grain after a quick slice with a razor blade. If the bands of pores are wavy, it's elm. Elm is stringy when split. Leaves of river birch have an angled base, elm and hophornbeam, the base is inequalateral[not symetrical]. Hophornbean is small and uncommon in NJ, the wood is yellowish in heartwood IME. JinNJ

Ok I will get out there with some shaving cream, a bic razor and my big ass magnifying glass;)
Woodman, now that you have it cut, take 5X magnification and look at the end grain after a quick slice with a razor blade. If the bands of pores are wavy, it's elm. Elm is stringy when split. Leaves of river birch have an angled base, elm and hophornbeam, the base is inequalateral[not symetrical]. Hophornbean is small and uncommon in NJ, the wood is yellowish in heartwood IME. JinNJ[/QUO

I suppose it could be hackberry but I have no experience with it. Elm and hackberry are both ring porous and have a wavy look to the late pores; hop is diffuse porous. That should tell you something if you can cut a small sample pc and zoom in. JinNJ

I suppose it could be hackberry but I have no experience with it. Elm and hackberry are both ring porous and have a wavy look to the late pores; hop is diffuse porous. That should tell you something if you can cut a small sample pc and zoom in. JinNJ

Definitely not hackberry. Totally wrong bark.

I dont know why they dont believe it is Birch.:(

I'm not going to pretend I know if it is or isn't birch. We don' t have that many in Iowa. River birch is all I'm familiar with. I have cut a lot of hackberry and have taught the Scouts tree id and that's a prominent one in eastern Iowa. The tree the op posted a pick of is not hackberry.

I've looked at pictures of all the suggestions and I'm thinking black cherry now. Bark is a little off but not near as much as trying to claim it as an elm. If I could have seen a picture of the entire tree from a distance I could have id'd it if it was a black cherry. See a lot of those in the woods here. Another one that has a distinctive bark. Was it forked about a 1/3 of the way up? That's another black cherry trait.

I've looked at pictures of all the suggestions and I'm thinking black cherry now. Bark is a little off but not near as much as trying to claim it as an elm. If I could have seen a picture of the entire tree from a distance I could have id'd it if it was a black cherry. See a lot of those in the woods here. Another one that has a distinctive bark. Was it forked about a 1/3 of the way up? That's another black cherry trait.
Its not. The leaves on Black Cherry are different. The bark may fool some though.

Latest posts

Back