any firefighters headed to tx?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
got at least a dozen fires going on here in this county alone. 40-50+mph winds.

it's pretty bad.

the first one started not 400 yards from the house.

There taking off in Oklahoma as well. We got several burning out of control. I can see smoke in the air all around me but haven't heard any news on local fires so I guess they are under control here. With all the fuel we have on the ground in the woods from the ice storm last year wildfires could be a real problem here.

Hope all turns out well down the below the Red.

they're sending in air tankers now. some from as far as 260mi. away.

at least four towns in the immediate area have been evacuated.

treemd: heard some of the bigger fires in OK are east of stillwater area.
hope ya'll are well.

Yeah Stillwater has fires burning right now. They showed a couple of structures burning on the news. Stillwater is about an hour from me. Biggest fires are in central OK as far as I can tell. They just came on the news and said 32 homes have been burn to the ground around Choctaw. We had a squall line comethrough that produced a couple of tornadoes with 40 and 50 MPH winds behind it. Heard a little news about the TX fires before ours broke out but now they are just talking about our fires. Is the Dallas area effected?

Yeah Stillwater has fires burning right now. They showed a couple of structures burning on the news. Stillwater is about an hour from me. Biggest fires are in central OK as far as I can tell. They just came on the news and said 32 homes have been burn to the ground around Choctaw. We had a squall line comethrough that produced a couple of tornadoes with 40 and 50 MPH winds behind it. Heard a little news about the TX fires before ours broke out but now they are just talking about our fires. Is the Dallas area effected?

as far as i know the majority of the fires are northwest through northeast of dallas.

winds are shifting though, and will soon be out of the north; basically turning all the fires south.

they've set up an incident command post not too far from my house.

also evacuated two schools earlier.

as far as i know the majority of the fires are northwest through northeast of dallas.

winds are shifting though, and will soon be out of the north; basically turning all the fires south.

they've set up an incident command post not too far from my house.

also evacuated two schools earlier.

Bad business. I have quite a few friends in the Dallas area. Hope they get a handle on it.

Heard through the grapevine that they may be sending down the new Evergreen air tanker. They just got testing done and approved for fire drops to use a 747 super tanker. 20,000gal or some ungoddly amount that thing can hold. All at once or in here and there. Pressure drops not gravaty so they can control it better and not use the whole load all at one time. I have heard that thing is amazing in action.

Hope all are well and safe

Owl

Too late for us, bout the time of this post, the family ranch in SW Jack county was burning. Fortunately, no one lives on it, but all structures burned to the ground, and no understory is left anywhere on 375 acres.

I expect we will lose the majority of our post oaks as a much smaller fire back in 83 (which hit about 6 weeks earlier in the season) killed every post oak in its path. Post & Blackjack are the dominant tree species, with cedar elm in the bottoms, some ash, eastern red cedar, and, of course, mesquite. Unfortunately, the largest mesquite flat looks to have survived as it had no understory to feed the fire.

Was thinking of cutting the larger post oaks for milling. I may still do that, but now I'm thinking of just cutting or buldozing everything that looks like it didn't survive and, ASAP, putting in saplings from TFS, and/or discing and planting legumes. After the 83 fire, the dead trees released their moisture back into the ground & before we knew it, oceans of greenbriar & sumac sprang up.

Any tips much appreciated. It's leased grazing, but what management I do is pretty much for wildlife and preserving the old Cross Timbers. Could definitely use advice on a chainsaw, as I call fell almost as fast with an axe as my sorry old Homelite.

P.S. Saw the tankers overhead today while sifting through the ashes of the mobile home. They looked busy. In 40 years, I haven't seen that much air traffic.

Last edited:
Too late for us, bout the time of this post, the family ranch in SW Jack county was burning. Fortunately, no one lives on it, but all structures burned to the ground, and no understory is left anywhere on 375 acres.

I expect we will lose the majority of our post oaks as a much smaller fire back in 83 (which hit about 6 weeks earlier in the season) killed every post oak in its path. Post & Blackjack are the dominant tree species, with cedar elm in the bottoms, some ash, eastern red cedar, and, of course, mesquite. Unfortunately, the largest mesquite flat looks to have survived as it had no understory to feed the fire.

Was thinking of cutting the larger post oaks for milling. I may still do that, but now I'm thinking of just cutting or buldozing everything that looks like it didn't survive and, ASAP, putting in saplings from TFS, and/or discing and planting legumes. After the 83 fire, the dead trees released their moisture back into the ground & before we knew it, oceans of greenbriar & sumac sprang up.

Any tips much appreciated. It's leased grazing, but what management I do is pretty much for wildlife and preserving the old Cross Timbers. Could definitely use advice on a chainsaw, as I call fell almost as fast with an axe as my sorry old Homelite.

P.S. Saw the tankers overhead today while sifting through the ashes of the mobile home. They looked busy. In 40 years, I haven't seen that much air traffic.

if you're in jack county, i ain't too far from ya. i'm in montague county. i'd say 95% of all the understory stuff is gone around here. i've been taking some pics and will upload tomorrow.

post oaks are moderately resistant to fire. but it depends on how hot the fire got and if it got into the roots.

Yeah, we're just a few miles south of Bryson. Heard a couple towns up your way got burned. Still some stuff burning to the east of us, but the wind was out of the east today, so everything in their path is already burned.

Hitting a little close to home, my friend's ranch where I hog hunt is just North of Jacksboro on Farm Road 28. Hate to hear of the damage. He is covered up in Post Oak, Blackjack and Mesquite. Gonna have to give him a call and see if he needs a hand with clean up of damage. Do you know how extensive the damage is in North Jack County?

Kind of Ironic. I went to dinner with the Fire Chief in our town and his wife tonight. He said there was no call for them to go to TX, said that they have been holding, anticipating local fires. We're getting some rain now. Hopefully you guys South of the Red are getting the same.

Hitting a little close to home, my friend's ranch where I hog hunt is just North of Jacksboro on Farm Road 28. Hate to hear of the damage. He is covered up in Post Oak, Blackjack and Mesquite. Gonna have to give him a call and see if he needs a hand with clean up of damage. Do you know how extensive the damage is in North Jack County?

Kind of Ironic. I went to dinner with the Fire Chief in our town and his wife tonight. He said there was no call for them to go to TX, said that they have been holding, anticipating local fires. We're getting some rain now. Hopefully you guys South of the Red are getting the same.

maybe James will chime in on the damage to north Jack county.

it rained here from about 1:30am to now... so a good 6 to 7 hrs. for sure.

it's enough to extinguish the flames.

i'll take a ride down near Jacksboro way (30 mins.) and try and get some pics and will let you know of the damage.

maybe James will chime in on the damage to north Jack county.

it rained here from about 1:30am to now... so a good 6 to 7 hrs. for sure.

it's enough to extinguish the flames.

i'll take a ride down near Jacksboro way (30 mins.) and try and get some pics and will let you know of the damage.

Sorry, I'm south of 380, so no news. From Kinder Mt, where the new wind farm is, I looked north towards 380/Jacsboro and didn't see anything burning.

Will post some pics of our place soon as I locate the camera cable.

Latest posts

Back