Any ideas for blocking logs other than cutting on the ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done this many times, its not as efficient as one may think. After a few cuts the log is not balanced any longer and falls off the forks. Smaller heavier logs approx 2 feet diameter only allow for a couple of cuts before I reach the forks and its time to crawl into the machine again to reposition. A grapple fork works better but you still end up with 5-6 feet of the log that the grapple is holding onto. I like the idea of using a splitter to wedge the log in, I may give that a shot on some longer, smaller diameter logs. But the two footers I will make some kind of table for. Thanks for the input, when I come up with some ingenious design I'll post some pix.

As I said earlier, I usually work them in place on the pile. However, when I've use the skidsteer, I work a few blocks off one end, then a few off the other. By the time you get to the mid section supported by the forks, you've got a pile of blocks that the remainder of the length can be set onto or just pushed off of the forks onto.

:agree2: Then you don't have to cut near the ground, much, except every so many cuts, to be able to roll a section of log.

A peavey is your friend here. :)

And you can excavate a hole underneath to get the log into a manageable size. A pulaski works well for that.

If you want to hold the saw at waist level, get a longer bar on the saw. :greenchainsaw:

I ordered a Mingo today. Got to give that a try!

I wouldn't be without mine! Makes my life so much easier stacking wood that's all 16" +or- .50 :clap:

Before the Mingo, I used to be able to tell which rounds I cut early in the day and which ones I cut late :laugh:

I think I may have found the solution while laying in bed last night. I'm thinking of taking one of my cut logs and laying it on the ground first. Then using my bobcat and forks I will grab another log off my big pile of logs to be cut. And place this log on top of the log on the ground in a perpendicular fashion to make a T. Letting the top log hang over the bottom log about a foot or so. This whole time the log will be supported by the bobcat. Then chain the top log to the bottom of a live (close by) tree to anchor the top log from falling forward or down and this should suspend the top log in mid-air. Back the bobcat away and I should be ready to cut. Who knows perhaps I can suspend multiple logs at once depending on their weight. But this whole contraption will have to wait until next weekend, this weekend is the Minnesota deer hunting opener so no playing in the woods, this weekend its serious :)

I think I may have found the solution while laying in bed last night. I'm thinking of taking one of my cut logs and laying it on the ground first. Then using my bobcat and forks I will grab another log off my big pile of logs to be cut. And place this log on top of the log on the ground in a perpendicular fashion to make a T. Letting the top log hang over the bottom log about a foot or so. This whole time the log will be supported by the bobcat. Then chain the top log to the bottom of a live (close by) tree to anchor the top log from falling forward or down and this should suspend the top log in mid-air. Back the bobcat away and I should be ready to cut. Who knows perhaps I can suspend multiple logs at once depending on their weight. But this whole contraption will have to wait until next weekend, this weekend is the Minnesota deer hunting opener so no playing in the woods, this weekend its serious :)

By your previous posts, we know that you are dealing with 8' - 8'6" "logs". Cutting into approximately 16" pieces means that you will be making 5 cuts per "log". Based on the diamter of the "logs" in your picture, we are talking about a few seconds per cut, even with a small saw.

I continue to be amazed at the effort that goes into contraptions and methods for bucking logs into rounds. In the time it will take you to set this up, I would have blown through 5-6 "logs"... easily and safely. I really don't consider the pile you've shown to be "logs". They are more like "tops" or "limbs".

Mingo + Medium saw (50-60cc) + Longer bar (20-24") = EASY work for the pile you've shown!

???
Out here, longer bars are considered safer. It doesn't add that much weight to your saw. Oh well. :confused:

Agreed... But some people don't have the experience to read the reactions of the saw while cutting. A longer bar can create more kickback force, so an inexperienced user can get himself in trouble real fast.

Back