Any Interest in tractor trailer loads of oak for $800.00

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
We are considering trying to sell tractor trailer loads of oak (red/white) this year. We believe we can get 22 face cord of wood on a trailer. Buyer can determine the lenght of wood, 16,18,20 up to 22", buyer provides transportation, i.e. trailer, we provide the cut firewood and the stacking,loading. We have our price set at $800.00 per load.
Is there a market for this type of wood sales?

I would think so your market would be the 24/7 wood burners the price is right. Be worth a little news paper add. I get 150-200 per cord in my little town. Your at 36 bucks a face cord for oak thats hard to beat.

Last edited:
Face cord is a WAG

Just a suggestion, humbly offered.

Your choice of measure for a trailer load (22 face cord) is a pretty Wild Ass Guess, and meaningless to most of us.

If a guy gets 22" for face cord, he gets about 1/3 more wood than a guy with 16" face cords.

So does the trailer hold 22 face cords of 22" length pieces or 16 " length

There is a reason many states prohibit selling "face cords"

A better measure might just be how many cubic feet the trailer could hold

Length X Width X Height

Just my .02

Best wishes for success

You might have an issue with the wood being stacked on the truck. If it's not on pallets,on a dump trailer,or a walking floor trailer labor is going to eat up whoever is buying it. Unloading a trailer like that would suck. People who ship wood on tractor trailer pallet and wrap it. You might have to do that. You could most likely charge a little more.

Scott

Palletizing and wrapping wouldn't be a big issue, used pallets are easy to come by in this area. I really need to do a couple and wrap them to see how much additional time it takes. Yes, the unloading would be a killer. We've got an old conveyor so it's not that hard to load it. If palletized we can easily set them on with a tractor. I like the idea of palletizing it. If palletized ahead of time it would take very little time to load a truck.
We've had some calls wanting straight hickory loads, we just don't see enough of it to fill big orders as we mainly just cut tops and cull logs.

I would look for a wood lot in CO and see if they would be a taker. Pallet stacking isn't that bad as long as you keep your wood the same lenght. I would be a taker but I get wood that cheap up here. I actually get it a little cheaper delivered to my place. But the stuff delivered has been run through a Block Buster with a just a 4-way wedge. I have to resplit it for cook wood.

Scott

Just a suggestion, humbly offered.

Your choice of measure for a trailer load (22 face cord) is a pretty Wild Ass Guess, and meaningless to most of us.

If a guy gets 22" for face cord, he gets about 1/3 more wood than a guy with 16" face cords.

So does the trailer hold 22 face cords of 22" length pieces or 16 " length

There is a reason many states prohibit selling "face cords"

A better measure might just be how many cubic feet the trailer could hold

Length X Width X Height

Just my .02

Best wishes for success

Yep. Or stick with the ONLY legally defined measure: CORD. No "face" or "full" or "bush" or any of that other meaningless crap.

A face cord means whatever anybody wants it to mean. Which means, it means nothing.

Back