Any love for the Poulan 25DA and variants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I reluctantly took a pile of Poulan stuff on trade today. The guy said he was wanting $250 for all of it and I don't doubt he could get that much on eBay but told him the 25DA saws just don't have that strong of a resale. I typically sell those Poulan top handles for $45 to $50 or so. I hemmed and hawed and suggested he sell them himself rather than me get them and resell them. He didn't want to haul the pile back home and he finally made me an offer I didn't refuse. (I maybe should've though, lol)
What I got was 3 runners. One is a 25DA and two are some tractor company saw branded. I think Allis Chalmers but I would have to look as I don't remember. Seems they're brown or tan colored.
Then there are a bunch of parts which is most of three other 25DA variants and a bin of hardware, carbs, oil pumps, etc. One is an oddball brand called a Zip or something but obviously a 25DA under it's skin.
Anyway, I already have a tote full of top handle Poulans and don't find them all that exciting so don't build one up that often. So I am just wondering if you guys mess with these much anymore? Not sure whether to post them up on eBay or just start selling them one at a time on CL. At least these things ship fairly compactly.

What would a real nice Poulan version fetch?

What B&C lengths and sizes perform best?

Right now my 25SuperDA and a Craftsman 2.1 version are the only small saws I have that run right. I think they both have a 14" bar and 3/8 low profile chain, non safety. In answer to your question I usually don't pay much over $10 for them if they're fairly complete and usually don't try to sell them because they don't bring much.

Dang, eBay netted over $200 for an Allis Chalmers version? Wow! Maybe I didn't do as bad as I thought. I have two that look at least as good as that one did... (the guy bought them new and did regular mx on them)

The S25 saws are one of the best in the line. These saws are 25 or more year old technology and still will run with most top handles produced today. There were many people that all they had was one and cut lots of wood and heated many homes with them. Typically a fairly nice one will bring ~$75-100. They don't command the money of a 192 but are faster and way better built. Think of a mini tank on these saws

if you want to make money stay with Stihl
Money can be made on any saw. Doesn't matter what brand it is. Stihl's do sell well but they are harder to acquire at a good price too. I'll buy and flip any brand of saw but mostly buy ones that appeal to me for one reason or another. My "permanent" line up is all Stihl but I probably have 20 saws of other brands. I'm not into antique saws at all as they don't do anything for me. I also don't collect saws either. (just accumulate, lol)

Dang, eBay netted over $200 for an Allis Chalmers version? Wow! Maybe I didn't do as bad as I thought. I have two that look at least as good as that one did... (the guy bought them new and did regular mx on them)

Right, the rebadged ones have collector interest. Outside appearance being the big factor. Plain green ones not much.

The S25CVA is a fine bucket truck saw. Bit obease for climbing.

The S25 saws are one of the best in the line. These saws are 25 or more year old technology and still will run with most top handles produced today. There were many people that all they had was one and cut lots of wood and heated many homes with them. Typically a fairly nice one will bring ~$75-100. They don't command the money of a 192 but are faster and way better built. Think of a mini tank on these saws
I was contemplating picking up a 192T as a spare to my 200T, but those that know talk good of these.

I've tried to sell the DA saws on ebay but kinda got discouraged waiting for buyers. With a Stihl sometimes you sell it the same day if you price it okay. I've cut a bunch of firewood this fall and I don't think I used a Stihl even once. I actually prefer to use something like a Poulan for something not too big. For something bigger I have a Mac 700, a Husky 359 and a 362XP. Most people want Stihls so I'll gladly sell them one if I ever get one in..

It is a Poulan...DA only old guys know about them. Nobody in their right mind would want one. A very narrow market. I must admit my $35 Earthquake does it better.
I've been questioned about my mental state before so no big deal. I am an old guy and don't cut wood all day long like the young ones do and I'm not in a hurry so I don't need a 14000 rpm saw (although I own one or two). The DAs will run for many years with little maintenance if you use the right fuel and you never have to replace an intake boot, pulse hose, or rubber mounts. They are low priced so that's a plus for me... I know about the changing world also, been through much of it and I'm sorry that some younger people didn't get to see some of the things I have...

Latest posts

Back