Any one bother making their own loops when correct DL# is available retail?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnybar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just calculated Woodlandpro rolls of 50' .325 063 920DL to be within less than $2 per loop of buying factory 74DL loops. I was surprised there was not a better margin when buying in bulk. Other than for odd sizes, does anyone bother making their own loops any more?

Yup.
$2+ savings per chain adds up fast...
If you're not paying someone to make the loops, maybe so for higher volume users. For me, making standard chains sizes doesn't make sense when there's $200 in inventory sitting there quite a while and frequent bargains pop up for new loops online. Was hoping to pick up some insider secrets on how guys make loops for lots less than factory chains.

Keep looking for deals. There is no "secret" that I am aware of. If you are not in a position to bulk order whole sale rolls of chain then it is hunt and peck for deals.

Buying bulk used loops and resizing them is pretty easy to accomplish at flea markets, Craigslist, etc. I have purchased many partial rolls, buckets, bags and boxes of chains over the years. Purchased 5 bread loaf pans of "used" .404 chains once, more than half the loops were new. All were 18" or shorter.

Eyes open, cash in hand.

If you're not paying someone to make the loops, maybe so for higher volume users. For me, making standard chains sizes doesn't make sense when there's $200 in inventory sitting there quite a while and frequent bargains pop up for new loops online. Was hoping to pick up some insider secrets on how guys make loops for lots less than factory chains.
There is no secret the only way to get low price loops is either to buy a large quantity of chain possibly between 5/10 100 ft rolls Not an option if you only use 6 or so chains a year or scan all the online & local advertisements for chain/s at bargain prices,as per "Justsaws" post longer chains shortened or short chains lengthened, if most or all of your chain is same pitch/gauge it helps, as odds & sods 6 or more DL"s can be joined to make up a loop Depends if you consider it time well spent or not worth the trouble, for the savings.

If other people operated my saws all the time i probably would order a roll of chain... I mostly am the only person operating my saws. I mostly sell firewood and do some tree work. As long as i don't hit to many foreign objects my chains last a long time. Also, i have found"good deals" on my bars so i need diffrent chains. I have a 28" bar with .063 3/8, 24" bar with .058 3/8, 2 20" bars with .050 3/8 and then 2 18" .050 .325 chains. So i shop around to find the best deals on my pre made loops.

nothing wrong with being self sufficient, I have thought of trying to get all saws to use the same 3/8 050 as my ms360 uses to simplify things and getting into making my own loops.
does that make any sense for a home heat cutter

At our dealership we stoped making standard loops. Even though it is cheaper once we figured in the time it just didn't make sense. Our shop guy very seldom was able to make much more then 6 an hour while that took him away from other work and paying him $15 an hour to save $12 doesn't add up.

I'd really like to get a breaker/spinner and a small roll of lo pro, as I need 7 different DL counts for the saws I have. Also I have some broken loops I could salvage. But for now I have enough loops for each so it's always cheaper to just get one more pre-made loop if I need one.

I just calculated Woodlandpro rolls of 50' .325 063 920DL to be within less than $2 per loop of buying factory 74DL loops. I was surprised there was not a better margin when buying in bulk. Other than for odd sizes, does anyone bother making their own loops any more?
I can guess how you calculate that however let me note a few things about what is quoted above.
Generally there is quite a premium per drive link with rolls less than 100 feet.
Baileys (where Woodland pro comes from) sends me promotions 10 loop for $10 each every so often. They also send me $40 off on orders of $300 and more.

The definition of an odd size is variable, If one wants say Stihl 63 chain their standard loops are 44,50,55,61 where brand x is 45,52,56,62. I can talk with the guy provide him a part number and get 56 drive link loops in a bit less than a week if I want ps or wait around while he makes up a loop of pm3 no telling how many times the phone will ring. It is about $20 where it appears I can get 25 feet and some presets off ebay and make the loops after dark.

Once I have a roll or what is left of a roll stuffed into a gallon zip lock bag of course use that unless I want skip.

If I had ten loops of woodland pro chain, at least in the sizes I have used the temptation to discard early would likely be hard to resist.

If other people operated my saws all the time i probably would order a roll of chain... I mostly am the only person operating my saws. I mostly sell firewood and do some tree work. As long as i don't hit to many foreign objects my chains last a long time. Also, i have found"good deals" on my bars so i need diffrent chains. I have a 28" bar with .063 3/8, 24" bar with .058 3/8, 2 20" bars with .050 3/8 and then 2 18" .050 .325 chains. So i shop around to find the best deals on my pre made loops.
With that assortment, when bargain chains pop up, you're likely to be able to take advantage.

I can guess how you calculate that however let me note a few things about what is quoted above.
Generally there is quite a premium per drive link with rolls less than 100 feet.
Baileys (where Woodland pro comes from) sends me promotions 10 loop for $10 each every so often. They also send me $40 off on orders of $300 and more.

The definition of an odd size is variable, If one wants say Stihl 63 chain their standard loops are 44,50,55,61 where brand x is 45,52,56,62. I can talk with the guy provide him a part number and get 56 drive link loops in a bit less than a week if I want ps or wait around while he makes up a loop of pm3 no telling how many times the phone will ring. It is about $20 where it appears I can get 25 feet and some presets off ebay and make the loops after dark.

Once I have a roll or what is left of a roll stuffed into a gallon zip lock bag of course use that unless I want skip.

If I had ten loops of woodland pro chain, at least in the sizes I have used the temptation to discard early would likely be hard to resist.
Thanks for the heads up on 10for10's. Do you get those offers because you spend XXX$ per yr or do they send them to all customers?

The paper ones in the mailbox are probably the same for everyone on the mailing list. I suspect similar for the email stuff as well if it is not the same promotion. The chain promotions are generally their house brand, Woodland pro. Loops, any brand and size can be added to an order to get it past some level depending on shipping or coupon if you want to expend effort to "save".

I have spun my own loops starting with 100 foot reel of milling chain from bailey's several years ago. Now I'm making my own from skip square chisel ( special order localy) for 32", 36", 42", 50", 60" & upcoming dual powered 72" ( 213 DL ?) bars.I don't know $ savings, but agravation avoided is priceless

I'd really like to get a breaker/spinner and a small roll of lo pro, as I need 7 different DL counts for the saws I have. Also I have some broken loops I could salvage. But for now I have enough loops for each so it's always cheaper to just get one more pre-made loop if I need one.
Breaker-spinner not rquired.Grind & punch to break chain , anvil & ball pein hammer 8 - 12 oz will do to set the pins to unite. Wish I'd known that before I paid for the breaker & spinner:angry:

I have spun my own loops starting with 100 foot reel of milling chain from bailey's several years ago. Now I'm making my own from skip square chisel ( special order localy) for 32", 36", 42", 50", 60" & upcoming dual powered 72" ( 213 DL ?) bars.I don't know $ savings, but agravation avoided is priceless
Your definitely in the "roll your own" territory with some of those sizes.

You gotta put the time in and scour around for deals. I buy all my chain in rolls, either partial or 100' and pay $1 per foot. I have one roll of RS I paid close to $2 a foot. That's where the savings are. Just gotta look around.

At our dealership we stoped making standard loops. Even though it is cheaper once we figured in the time it just didn't make sense. Our shop guy very seldom was able to make much more then 6 an hour while that took him away from other work and paying him $15 an hour to save $12 doesn't add up.

Shouldn't even take 5 mins to make a loop, and that includes sticking it in a box, labeling it and ringing up the customer.

Back