Any one bother making their own loops when correct DL# is available retail?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most everything I find online in .325 and 3/8 100ft rolls is around $3/ft. Any sources for better prices from online dealers?
There is an ebay seller discussed on here every so often that has 0.325 Stihl chain in 25 foot lots. not a lot past $120 or so even if you have to get the splice parts local. Not the cheapest but might be the best value and not tie up funds.

Breaker-spinner not rquired.Grind & punch to break chain , anvil & ball pein hammer 8 - 12 oz will do to set the pins to unite. Wish I'd known that before I paid for the breaker & spinner:angry:
No need to bang head on wall, I used grinder and hammer and anvil technique before getting the breaker and spinner. I found a machinist hammer sort of like a mason brick hammer better for hitting the rivet without hitting something else, or use a punch on the rivet to be peened. With the breaker the pressed parts could be re used most of the time if no new presets available. The spinner does a nicer job of forming the rivet.

Spinners make chains purdy maybe? If I find one cheap, I'll grab it in a heart beat. Surely they are less likely to mushroom rivets. I already have a universal chain breaker from other activities with roller chain.

Shouldn't even take 5 mins to make a loop, and that includes sticking it in a box, labeling it and ringing up the customer.
I agree it shouldn't. But that is not what was happening. Sooooo. I put a kibosh to it.

I agree it shouldn't. But that is not what was happening. Sooooo. I put a kibosh to it.

Glad to hear it's not just me that gets stuck with workers like that. Have one he only is here because he's a kid of a friend. 20 min job takes him 2+ hrs.... and even still it's done at best 1/2 ass.
Other day I asked him to go do something, he was just sitting on his ass and I got a "huff"... I had to go outside and do a few "woosahhhhhss" I could have broke him in half with the rage I had. I spent 12 years in the USAF, got out as an E5 so know how to be a boss, but I've never seen someone so eager to collect money for as little work as possible.

Glad to hear it's not just me that gets stuck with workers like that. Have one he only is here because he's a kid of a friend. 20 min job takes him 2+ hrs.... and even still it's done at best 1/2 ass.
Other day I asked him to go do something, he was just sitting on his ass and I got a "huff"... I had to go outside and do a few "woosahhhhhss" I could have broke him in half with the rage I had. I spent 12 years in the USAF, got out as an E5 so know how to be a boss, but I've never seen someone so eager to collect money for as little work as possible.
Wow! Never will understand those types. I worked since I was 11 yrs old. Mowing yards when gas was 25 cents a gallon, hauling square bales in high school, pumping gas, butcher's ass't and welding all while going to college full time and getting two degrees. Then I worked 60-80 hr weeks for 32 yrs and hands on ran a cattle ranch in my "free" time. Man...tired thinking about it! Maybe that kid has the right idea????? .....NOPE!

I'd fire him... tell his old man the truth that he's a lazy worker. The kid needs to learn that loafing doesn't pay somewhere along the line. I sure wouldn't coddle him!

As for rolls... I somehow arrived at 2 auctions of power equipment shops and ended up buying the chain room out of each. Yes it pays to make loops if the price per roll is good enough. I make just enough on each roll to cover my own chain usage without loss of $$. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back