Any one ride the pick down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i did not watch this video but i do know for a fact that a hanging man basket has no place in tree work. oh, wait.... that tree was a hazardous tree and you wouldn't tie into it or rig off it? i maaaaay know how to remedy that situation...

listen not trying to ruin your day but even though the video was probably made with the bestest of them there intentions..... it was still wrong.

stay safe.

Here's a pic of the super hazardous tree this guy has been talking about non stop since he showed up.

attachment.php

..and here's a pic of what I believe to be his bucket truck. There's a shot of it in the vid too. lol

randypic2.jpg

as Dave always said, "anyone can type"...

Here is an option Blake's.

Attach yourself above the ball of the crane and rig off the hook, you could lower the pieces down from the ball. I believe ANSI will allow it when there is no other way.

Found this article: http://www.tcia.org/pdfs/TCI_MAG_March_07.pdf
On page 54 has a picture and description. Sorry, I was unable to cut and paste it.
Good article.

Rigging off the crane with a block and line? I can't think of a worse idea. Someone actually suggested that and Tcia published it?...wow

Using the lanyard does put a guys face a little close to that hunk of steel though I am sure there is a way to double tie into a crane... if yer a puss:tongue2: But that's fine you cantakerous old stickler, keep em as safe as you can.:rock:

I hear ya, gotta CYA,, btw, if you bump your head into the ball,, you and the CO work it out!
Jeff

Here's a pic of the super hazardous tree this guy has been talking about non stop since he showed up.

attachment.php

..and here's a pic of what I believe to be his bucket truck. There's a shot of it in the vid too. lol

randypic2.jpg

that thing would be perfect for doing hedges and jap maples but other than that someone outta drive that setup of a bridge.... let me guess this guy has every cert the isa can offer, eh?

wonderful, just wonderful.

no wonder i think the certs are a f'n joke. proof positive right there.

Maybe you are getting at the technique of rigging yourself off the crane (I'm not going to join the argument as to HOW), and rappel off the hook after cutting each piece and before it is laid down? I think I read that described here somewhere. The point was, I did not trust the leaders to bear the weight of rigging down the limbs. Turned out they DID bear the weight just fine -- but I did not know that for sure.

I do tree risk assessments (ISA, ASCA cert, yadda yadda yadda). I first got the call because a 40 ft. limb fell on the patio just after the family left -- and it was rotten at the attachment; I did the risk assessment and report before I gave him a bid on the job. With the obvious decay and topping history, i would have wanted to climb each leader and inspect them up close, probably drill them as well to test for decay. There was no time or budget for that (plus I couldn't CLIMB (see below), so I took a conservative option (notwithstanding you and some others believe that the man basket is MORE dangerous).

It so happened that the job was scheduled just after I had my thumb in a splint (dislocated) and two weeks after a rotator cuff injury -- my job was mainly to manage the crew and be a back -up set of eyes for safety that day. I went off my Vicodin to keep a clear head; the pain kept me focused on avoiding MORE pain. I HAD planned to take a turn rigging and cutting some big wood on the tree, but missed the chance.

If we can never agree on the man basket thing, so be it.

The client was a tightwad, and actually agreed to let us crash what we hadn't finished the first day (the last two leaders) to save money. Go figure -- the sound of a 800 pound chunk of locust hitting a concrete patio from 50 ft. was pretty impressive. We rigged the pieces with a fiddle block to make sure and miss the home and the basketball hoop. Which we did. A second crane was obviously out of the question. My climber brushed the tree and lowered three of the five leaders in 7 1/2 hrs., and that was after I had to talk the owner into paying for another hr of crane time.

It wasn't a take down -- the tree is still there and is expected to go on growing -- just gave it a haircut from 94 f. to 20 -30 ft.:msp_biggrin:

We probably could have crashed the entire tree piece by piece with a climber tied into the tallest spar, using the fiddleblock to pull things over into free-fall -- but it is hard to predict the degree of impact, and after the fact, what do you do when the client claims you caused more damage than you said would happen? There was that antique Craftsman home with lots of windows 20 ft. away, after all. I busted a window once tossing the last 4 in. limb of a take down to the ground; it bounced in the reverse direction and through the double-slider window; these limbs were up to four times thicker and three times longer, up to 90 ft. up, and the windows were all antique.

Let it go, he is insecure and is trying to bait you,, let it go...
Jeff :msp_smile:

And that's all you got,, sorry pal, gonna ignore you and your wanna be big boy attitude.
Jeff

and that's all you got, ya slob? lol.

your neck must kill you when you driving around in that truck and hit a bump and that giant head of yours wobbles for a quarter mile down the road. i've seen "your" work and the words "thoroughly not impressed" come to mind.

just as i've been reading the borderline crap you've been posting for years.... my first thread back on this site and in but a couple pictures i've debunked this happy horsechit you call good practices and brainstorming. see jeff, you so far removed from the work that you have deluded yourself into thinking you are offering an opinion of any value... the best of what you have to offer is what you just wiped off your ass and flushed down the toilet.

beautiful day, eh?

and that's all you got, ya slob? lol.

your neck must kill you when you driving around in that truck and hit a bump and that giant head of yours wobbles for a quarter mile down the road. i've seen "your" work and the words "thoroughly not impressed" come to mind.

just as i've been reading the borderline crap you've been posting for years.... my first thread back on this site and in but a couple pictures i've debunked this happy horsechit you call good practices and brainstorming. see jeff, you so far removed from the work that you have deluded yourself into thinking you are offering an opinion of any value... the best of what you have to offer is what you just wiped off your ass and flushed down the toilet.

beautiful day, eh?

I bet if you your work reflected your poetry, you would be the man,
as long as you think you are,, you are,.
Jeff

attachment.php

randypic2.jpg

???

I don't own any heavy equipment, Blakesmaster. What your problem is, I don't know. Or care.

that thing would be perfect for doing hedges and jap maples but other than that someone outta drive that setup of a bridge.... let me guess this guy has every cert the isa can offer, eh?

wonderful, just wonderful.

no wonder i think the certs are a f'n joke. proof positive right there.

Hey Buzz Lightyear---

You are relatively new around here, and maybe don't get it, but many people in the biz don't need to brag about their skills. If you bothered to read some of what I've written, you would get that. I don't need the various certs, BTW. Some people here have figured that out to. But I am always open to learning from anyone. Apparently, you neither need to learn any more nor feel the need to teach. I guess there isn't much more to say.

???

I don't own any heavy equipment, Blakesmaster. What your problem is, I don't know. Or care.

definately gets an award for the most innovative equipment combination-cablevision aerial device, aerodynamic non-metallic (no static hazard) chip box, followed by rentacenter chipper with high lift chute for proper chip fluff! sorry, couldn
't help myself after the length of thread.

Latest posts

Back