Any opinions on 5 ton Electric log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunfoolio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I only split 3-6 cord a year and was wondering if these are worh it? The reviews on line seem to always have the same them in that they are a lot better then they look. In the past I have rented for about $100 a day which I am ok with but I would like to have the convience to split when I like. Have any of you guys been happy with on of these?

I think the type of wood you split will have something to do with the performance of a 5 ton electric. I would say it won't handle dried euc or gnarly hardwood rounds but would be okay with dried pine rounds or smaller diameter rounds of softwood.

One member here had a slick setup with one. He doesn't post anymore for a long time, but from memory, it was setup in his garage, with a big sloped table to hold rounds, roll down to the splitter, split, toss in trailer. All inside out of the weather and his wood looked like normal 16 inch hardwood, he was in wisconsin I believe.

I would think some gnarlier or larger rounds you would need to shave splits off from the outside, that's about it.

Someone posted the other day there is one on sale at menards this week for 200 bucks.

7 ton better. make sure the split length is what you need plus a little. Going to need a good 20 amp 110v circuit and at least a 12 gauge extension cord. A lot of them require holding the power button on and operating the valve with the other hand- but that can be over come. I have an early one that is rated 4 ton- 14" stroke, it is ok but doesn't like any twisted or knarly stuff. It was fine for the stove in use at the time in a mobile home.

I've got an earthquake
image.jpg
I've split green post oak roundsimage.jpg
Up to 16 inches in diameter. Some of the larger or more twisted rounds you have to work in from the edges. Split approximately 6 cords with since I bought it this spring. Paid 300 for it and wouldn't take that for it if I couldn't buy another.

They work good but the cycle speed is slow and stroke I'd short. . Most of these use same motor and cylinder and tonnage rating is meaningless a 4 ton ryobi is same as a 7 ton

I had a 5 ton Speeco electric and was quite impressed what it would split. It took anything straight with no issues and i tried some big pieces just to see what it was capable of. The single handle was what I liked most. For $300 it was worth every penny. Definitely use a 12 gauge extension cord. Nice to split wood in the garage or basement out of the weather. This particular one has 2 handles, mine was an earlier version.
speeco splitter.jpg

I wonder if one of those could be retrofitted with a real small gas engine.

Although..I guess if you already have a generator, you could do it that way, someplace where you can't plug in.

Get yourself one of those aluminum short fold out bench things painters use and set it on it to get the proper height

My brother had one a guy gave him in lieu of cash for rebuilding a lawn tractor engine. Brother took it next door to the neighbor's woodpile to try it out. He said it worked as advertised but 5 tons isn't much when you're splitting logs.

Good for small straight-grained rounds, wouldn't bust hard burl or crotch wood. The cycle is slower than most commercial grade splitters.

The value falls somewhere in between using a splitting axe.. and a hydrolyic gas splitter . Slow but effective and easy in the back I've split probably 15 cords with a homelite electric splitter no gas to buy runs cool it's super quiet and will do 95% of the firewood sometimes you just have to chop away around to get it apart on big pieces or narly stuff

I only split 3-6 cord a year and was wondering if these are worh it? The reviews on line seem to always have the same them
in that they are a lot better then they look. In the past I
have rented for about $100
a day which I am ok with
but I would like to have the
convience to split when I
like. Have any of you guys
been happy with on of
these?
I just bought a 5 ton at Measure for $199.00 to try it out for what the builders say it will do it. I only do Ash and it done a very good job. I was going to buy 5 but they only had one left.

One member here had a slick setup with one. He doesn't post anymore for a long time, but from memory, it was setup in his garage, with a big sloped table to hold rounds, roll down to the splitter, split, toss in trailer. All inside out of the weather and his wood looked like normal 16 inch hardwood, he was in wisconsin I believe.

I would think some gnarlier or larger rounds you would need to shave splits off from the outside, that's about it.

Someone posted the other day there is one on sale at menards this week for 200 bucks.
$199.00 at menards

I have one, don't no the tonnage 3 or 5. I don't use it, but I tried it on some rounds that I could not split with the maul. It split 75% of those. On the tailgate is a perfect height and a built in table.

He's the same example I was going to use.

I believe Don was his name and he had a Ryobi. It was a slick little setup. Worked great for his needs.

I only burn about 5 Facecords (1-2/3 full cords) every winter and cant justify spending a lot on a gas splitter so 2 years ago I found a guy selling the 4 ton Ryobi splitter on craigslist for $100.
I went to look at it, a little beaten up but said Why Not and brought it home.

It is perfect on the tailgate for straight grain rounds 12" diameter and smaller. I have split some 24" silver maple rounds on it starting from the edges and working inwards. It has worked great for ash and some types of maple.

I still consider this my best Craigslist find ever.....I also have a Fiskars x27 and use either depending on how much energy I have. I love swinging anaxe :)

Would I spend $300 plus tax for the Homelite model now ? Possibly......

IMG_20140919_182855_403.jpg

I think his name was Don.

Back