Any truth to this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner930

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Talked with a central boiler dealer. He said that in 2011 there will only be owb sold that will meet the new emission rules. He said that will put almost everyone out of business and you won't be able to find anymore parts except for central boiler,and a few others. He says some won't have products to sell.

I have not heard that yet but I guess nothing would surprise me these days. Hopefully someone who knows what the truth is will chime in!

I have not heard anything about this either.
If true it sure won't be good for the prices of new ones!

I guess if true,it's one of the few good things about my Global Hydronics...I can buy any part for it from Grainger.

These regs just went into effect today in Vt.
Effective March 31st Phase II OWB emissions goes into effect for new equipment being sold.Emission limits are .32 lbs per million btus.
You can see the annoucement http://www.vtwoodsmoke.org/VTregl.htlm

These regs are for new furnaces...older ones are grandfathered in I believe.The EPA is out to strengthen them across the U.S. not just in Vt.

I would think there is some truth to it. When EPA regulations came in effect for woodstoves in the 80's, many companies went under. There was alot of added expense for testing, engineering, etc. I guess time will tell. Regulations could become pretty tight.

These regs just went into effect today in Vt.
Effective March 31st Phase II OWB emissions goes into effect for new equipment being sold.Emission limits are .32 lbs per million btus.
You can see the annoucement http://www.vtwoodsmoke.org/VTregl.htlm

These regs are for new furnaces...older ones are grandfathered in I believe.The EPA is out to strengthen them across the U.S. not just in Vt.

I've been watching this with considerable interest. I have an older CB and was concerned about having to replace it. Apparently mine is grandfathered, but there is some talk in the State Legislature about introducing a bill that will outlaw all non-Phase-II boilers by 2014, but also give out grant money or no-interest-loans to replace them. If I were to get most of the cost of my old boiler back in order to buy a new one, I would put in one of the new Phase II boilers and not look back. They are supposed to be much more efficient, and burn far less wood.

2011 Emission Rules

Talked with a central boiler dealer. He said that in 2011 there will only be owb sold that will meet the new emission rules. He said that will put almost everyone out of business and you won't be able to find anymore parts except for central boiler,and a few others. He says some won't have products to sell.

I spoke with several of a Central Boiler Dealers a few weeks back and I was told the same thing. As of 2011 Central as well as the others, will only make the new style boilers that meet the emissions rules.

The days of burning green wood is all but over. These new stoves/boilers will need well seasoned wood or they will not work. Granted, the new boilers will use less wood but so would your present boiler if the wood was well seasoned.

I spoke with several of a Central Boiler Dealers a few weeks back and I was told the same thing. As of 2011 Central as well as the others, will only make the new style boilers that meet the emissions rules.

The days of burning green wood is all but over. These new stoves/boilers will need well seasoned wood or they will not work. Granted, the new boilers will use less wood but so would your present boiler if the wood was well seasoned.

I do not see this as being a bad thing. I'm sure that if more OWB owners had adopted this practice earlier, there would not be an issue today. I think the newer CB units are pretty slick, but I understand there is stilll a bit more refining to be done before they are as solid and reliable as the oldr 5036, and 6048's.

Back