Anybody ever shorten the shaft on a Honda?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguyinoh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have come up with a Honda 390gx for a song to use on a splitter, but the shaft is about an inch too long to mount to a direct couple mount. Cutting an inch of the shaft on the engine will do the trick, but i have never tried this before. So, instead of learning the hard way as usual, I thought I would ask you guys. Will this cause a problem? I can just reach with a vert. self feed bandsaw(Roll-In) with a lot of fixturing, but other than that, I am probably down to an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. This seems like it may get a little hot on the oil seal. If anyone has ever tried this, please let me know. Thanks

yea, i did it..
i used a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder, worked great !!!!
mine was a briggs but the situation was the same as yours, had to take an inch off to work with the lovejoy coupler..
good luck

Go slow and use oil to save the saw teeth, I have done it on an old Kohler to get a clutch assembly on.

Thanks a lot guys. I have a spiral air jet on that saw, as it does not lend itself to flood or mist, but i may try to dribble a little oil in there while she cuts. Thanks again

Use a hacksaw with a special "blade". It is a wire that has abrasive on it. You idle the engine and use hold the hacksaw to it. We have done it many times. Gives a perfectly square cut. Really not hard to do either.

Instead of cutting shaft and ruiing engine for something else later can you build a new pump mount? Just my 2 cents??

The shaft on that honda engine is harder than those on briggs.You wont be able to cut it with a hacksaw.Friction disc is your only option.

Thanks guys. Bandsaw teth were juls making it shiny, so after about 5 seconds of trying to saw it, I just grabbed the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Worked like a charm.

The shaft on that honda engine is harder than those on briggs.You wont be able to cut it with a hacksaw.Friction disc is your only option.

That Honda shaft is hard... Put a damp rag around the shaft by the oil seal to keep away the heat and cut it with a grinder..

Back