Anybody running the Chinese Stihl knockoffs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite new to this hobby. I've been tempted to buy a farmertec, but it loses it's appeal when you have to replace some pretty critical parts to possibly make it reliable.

My big saws were recently purchased for reasonable deals. $370 for a 460, and $550 for an 066. I could of had an 066 for $450 with an aftermarket recoil. For those kind of prices, why even mess with farmertec when you can get an oem Stihl for not much more?

I think you have made the right choice for "you", if I had the availability and a steady selection of secondhand chainsaws in that class I would certainly consider it.
But in my part of the world a 372xp or a ms441 comes along about once every second year, and it will have the same prizetag as a brand new one.
Something like a 038 or 046 simply won't happen because they where never sold here.

With such as a Farmertec aftermarket replica you really need to be prepared that some issues might develop and that you need to solve them.
But I think; if you buy a 20 year old secondhand chainsaw from someone you dont actually know, you should be prepared for that also.

If you move to china or Mexico you can get a lot of stuff cheap. Why do you think the government is taxing that stuff??? So Americans will stay loyal … Go to Stihls website and see what they say about the subject… then take that saw to a stihl repair shop and see what they tell you… they’re just trying to be nice.

You don't buy an affordable Farmertec aftermarket chainsaw and then go to a dealer to get it fixed at a 100 dollas hourly rate - you fix it yourself.
The local dealer here will take on any chainsaw, he will start out charging you about 75 dollas - but that is just to look at it ;)

I would imagine the patents have expired on the older saws.
It's true from my experience thst Chinese made nuts and bolts are junk as well as most of their stuff. However the trouble zI have is that the Chinese are criminals and more important to them is that they intend to put legitimate US companies and their workers out of business. Once that happens they will raise their prices for the same level of junk they have now and you'll be forced to deal with them.

What's worse is that already some name brands are using Chinese stuff with their name on it. I try not to get to hardcore or two political but in my heart I believe buying Chinese knockoffs is a crime.

I don't feel bad for buying Chinese "Knock Off"s" when the companies that are being "Knocked Off" have already climbed into bed with the Chinese! Not to mention, these "Reproduction" saws are NLA (no longer available) from the OEM.
Also consider that the people buying the "Reproduction" saws are the type of people that would never pay full retail for ANY new model saw. I personally avoid AUTO anything and I am an advocate for "Right to Repair" These AT, MT saws are not user serviceable.

"When you sleep with the Chinese, you wake up with "Por Fri Lie." Just ask Eric Swalwell!

I don't feel bad for buying Chinese "Knock Off"s" when the companies that are being "Knocked Off" have already climbed into bed with the Chinese! Not to mention, these "Reproduction" saws are NLA (no longer available) from the OEM.
Also consider that the people buying the "Reproduction" saws are the type of people that would never pay full retail for ANY new model saw. I personally avoid AUTO anything and I am an advocate for "Right to Repair" These AT, MT saws are not user serviceable.

"When you sleep with the Chinese, you wake up with "Por Fri Lie." Just ask Eric Swalwell!
Some interesting mental gymnastics there.

I guess I have an "interesting" background. I'm a heavy equipment tech. I was a small engine tech as a after school job as a teenager. I collect vintage motorcycles and atv's, mainly 2 stroke.

My dad and I split our first saw purchase back in 2003. A ms290. I still have it, in like new condition. Then along came a "used for a half hour" ms230c from a friend. Next was a 025 I found in a shed, along with a 4mix pole saw.

A co worker collects bigger pro saws and I decided I'd try and find one. The 460 was missing the white model tag, and the guy didn't know what it was. I rolled the dice and it turned out to be a 460. Since the 066 seems to have legendary status, I hunted for one. Bought the one mentioned in my last post. Neither saw is mint, but no broken/cracked housings. They start easy and run well. I've run them for several hours now with no issues. I'm just a hobbyist and suspect they will last me a long time.

Unfortunately my state is looking to ban the sale of new gas powered small equipment in the next several years, so I think I'll stock up on various models. 026/044/088/880 are what I'm looking for next.

I know of 3 beat up 660's. No bars, but supposedly run. $300 a piece. Seems reasonable, but still thinking about it. Should I grab them?
Yes.

Have to be just as wary of buying OEM clapped out saws for big money.
Indeed
I was lucky enough to pick up my oem 372 for cheap but only because it was partly stripped.
Turned out the cylinder was scored, piston was damaged, crank bearings were u/s (one had a ball missing, both were feeling rough) and the cases were well worn in places but I rebuilt it for cheap and it's still going today.

I'm just curious here, do any of you know if stihl is make the 070 again or are the cloning the stihl name now to? A lot of what I've read has been that these clones are no longer produced by stihl or husky, so they got nocked off. My 070 has nothing on it label Stihl anywhere but now I'm seeing this thing. I think it was selling from Ohio.
e387a56e1f023ceae2072ae2b74ba7dd.jpg
844cbfdbe443ececd51608a0875e4af1.jpg
9c28a8d373082c9dffb3b14c67085c85.jpg
6deab101efafb4971e4926b1f279cc48.jpg
dbae54c888ec597c89f5cd402ba20cc6.jpg
c18882d557db7dcf428f619ca8ace1d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Knock-off makers are thieves in my books. Knock-off sellers are fences. Knock-off buyers are people who buy stolen goods. The OEM paid for all of the engineering, research and product development. They built the industry and they offer franchises for owners willing to invest in trained staff, a storefront and replacement parts/accessories.

Here is the link. I'm skeptical, only because he says he has five New Old Stock, never run saws. Seems to good to be true, but someone here may be a better judge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154812928461
He shows pictures of all the stihl part numbers and castings. Obviously I couldn’t be for certain, but it looks legit to me

I'm just curious here, do any of you know if stihl is make the 070 again or are the cloning the stihl name now to? A lot of what I've read has been that these clones are no longer produced by stihl or husky, so they got nocked off. My 070 has nothing on it label Stihl anywhere but now I'm seeing this thing. I think it was selling from Ohio.
e387a56e1f023ceae2072ae2b74ba7dd.jpg
844cbfdbe443ececd51608a0875e4af1.jpg
9c28a8d373082c9dffb3b14c67085c85.jpg
6deab101efafb4971e4926b1f279cc48.jpg
dbae54c888ec597c89f5cd402ba20cc6.jpg
c18882d557db7dcf428f619ca8ace1d2.jpg

Looks like a legit Stihl to me...

Someone familiar with the 070, buy one and report back.
Agree, all of the casting and part numbers really make it look legit. Just shocked that these saws, in this quantity are available.

Someone familiar with the 070, buy one and report back.
Agree, all of the casting and part numbers really make it look legit. Just shocked that these saws, in this quantity are available.
It is a identical twin to my clone that hasn't got "stihl" stamped anywhere.

Latest posts

Back