anyone else quit cutting due to the heat??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been starting early and quiting at noon. We are having 100 degree heat index know may be time to quit for a while.
No relief in sight. They now say 100 F highs for the next ten days. Hard to believe. The so-called real-feel could easily reach 115 F with the humidity this high.

My neighbor walked outside barefoot this afternoon and stood on his sidewalk for awhile, reading his mail. Second degree burns greeted him on the bottom of his feet. Hot concrete is unforgiving.

Was a little rough today. Over 100 degrees again and the humidity went from 25% yesterday to 47% today. I sweated so much I soaked my clothes enough to wring them out :laugh:

I had to stop about every 15 minutes and go drink water and stand in front of the AC.

100 degree weather for the foreseeable future with no relief. Ballbuster of a summer for sure.

Was a little rough today. Over 100 degrees again and the humidity went from 25% yesterday to 47% today. I sweated so much I soaked my clothes enough to wring them out :laugh:

I had to stop about every 15 minutes and go drink water and stand in front of the AC.

100 degree weather for the foreseeable future with no relief. Ballbuster of a summer for sure.

love that global warming huh?

wished i had your trouble with all that humidity!!

wished i had your trouble with all that humidity!!

But then you'd be in this situation :laugh:

soilmoist_720x486.jpg

Last edited:
Headed out to cut this morning, but I dulled 2 chains just trying to cut through the humugity!:laugh: So I went back home and decided to wait it out. Talking mid to hi 90's all week with heat indexes of 100+ for the next week.
Ted

its not alaska, but i would put ya up in ohio if you cut & split about twelve cords of wood for us...:laugh::laugh:

But then you'd be in this situation :laugh:

soilmoist_720x486.jpg

its not the heat that gets to a guy so much, its the danged humidity... hard to hang onto the splitting maul with a wet handle!! but then again a good cold can of adult beverage is about the same?? lol always going to get another after tipping the fluid out for a rental time period!

We've had 51 days this year of temps over 100 degrees. Sorry to send some of it your way :laugh:

Am I a wimp, or is it just too darn hot to fool with firewood? We have had 17 days in a row of 100 degree or higher temps. I have a trailer loaded with 4 cords of split oak that have been on the trailer 4 weeks, and can just not talk myself into unloading it. This is my first year in the business, and while I want to get stocked up for fall sales, I am not working in this heat. It was 84 degrees at daylight this morning.
Do I need to toughen up, or do most of you guys take a break from this during the heat of the summer??
Jeff

Well no have not quit as that is where we pay the bills.. but what you call heat and what we call heat is not same. If I had 100+ degrees plus humidity.. think I would be sitting under a tree somewhere.

What is your UV index? Ours is sitting at 10 today; supposed to be 10 tomorrow and 9 on Monday. Sun is hotter than *(#@ with UV index sitting at 10.

Last edited:
I would love to be out cutting/splitting in this weather it's just that I have had so much other crap come up that I am behind.

I have enough wood I think,its just not split or stacked yet :bang:

Too dang hot to go logging for me when it gets over 85* and more than 60% RH. I get splitting headaches in the heat, always have. HATE summer. Wish it were 22* and snowing lightly- year round.

Still chilly and dampish here. 65 indoors, 57 outdoors.

But don't move here. You'll get cranky. Plus there's too many people who moved here. That means a lot more cranky people. I think I will go make a cup of snooty coffee. Perhaps cheer up a bit.

Yep i call it quits here at 90..... humidity is always at 70% or better. Lets hear it for october!

We had some rain last week so it was to wet to haul wood out. I spent some hot mornings just dropping trees and bucking them up. Today I hauled 5 cords out. Tomorrow I will get almost another 2 cords I have to cut and split it. I'll also cut several staves tomorrow and use the rest of the tree for firewood. Those are my favorite to cut. You get paid really good money for the log right now and get to make money on the firewood later. It's going to be 100 all week here. I'll start at 530-6am and come out of the woods with close to 2 2/3 cord by 11am every day. It should be a good week because of the dry weather. I hope to get at least 10 cords and maybe 15-20 staves. My supplier should send me 7 cords of cut and split homeowners wood and 2 cords of cook wood. Now I have to go to the store and get a new bar for my MS261. The Stihl bar only went about 15 cords before the sprocket went out. That has never happened to me that quick. My 261 is now my favorite firewood saw. Brad Snellering got his hands on it and wow what a cutter. It flat out rips. I'm going to put a bigger sprocket on it to get some more chain speed. I wish I would have had a saw ported a long time ago.

Scott

Latest posts

Back