anyone ever seen anyone sharpen like this ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I went with a friend the other day to help then finnish up a job they were on cutting pulp wood.. my friend was telling me how this guy they work with can really sharpen a chain well. he got him to sharpen his saw while we watched so i could see how he did it .. i never seen anything like this before..he filed at at a 25 degree top plate angle roughly . .and free handed but he held the file handle in about a 45 degree upward angle on the handle or darn close to it and put a hook in the top plate :dizzy: he said to me that you need to have that hook like that.. or it wont cut right .. he wanted to do it to my brand new chain for me .. i quickly said no thanks ive already sharpened it . No way am i going to let someone run a file down my top plate like that.. after he hooks the top plate though he he finishes off with a few hard strokes with about a ten degree upward angle on the file holder. and for some reason after going all of this to it it actually appears to cut decently . there was a bit of chatter but i think my friends rakers were down a bit far to begin with . just wondering if anyones seen that done before ? the guys been cutting pulp wood for 15 or so years. Does he know some kind of trick ? or has he just never learned the propper way to sharpen a chain ?

Never seen that, but if he's using chisel, there's no way that would work better than sharpening it normally.

arborman said:
I went with a friend the other day to help then finnish up a job they were on cutting pulp wood.. my friend was telling me how this guy they work with can really sharpen a chain well. he got him to sharpen his saw while we watched so i could see how he did it .. i never seen anything like this before..he filed at at a 25 degree top plate angle roughly . .and free handed but he held the file handle in about a 45 degree upward angle on the handle or darn close to it and put a hook in the top plate :dizzy: he said to me that you need to have that hook like that.. or it wont cut right .. he wanted to do it to my brand new chain for me .. i quickly said no thanks ive already sharpened it . No way am i going to let someone run a file down my top plate like that.. after he hooks the top plate though he he finishes off with a few hard strokes with about a ten degree upward angle on the file holder. and for some reason after going all of this to it it actually appears to cut decently . there was a bit of chatter but i think my friends rakers were down a bit far to begin with . just wondering if anyones seen that done before ? the guys been cutting pulp wood for 15 or so years. Does he know some kind of trick ? or has he just never learned the propper way to sharpen a chain ?

If I read that right, he finishes with about the right angles and thus is just wasting his time with that rediculous 45 degree stuff. I can't tell what it does to the hook though, probably leaves too much of one whish will work but dull rapidly. The "finishes with 2 hard strokes" alone says he doesn't have a clue.

Harry K

if the guys been doing it that long ,it must work for him.more than one way to skin a cat. like i say if hes happy thats all thats important.jmo

Yea i agree, i just let people do there thing.. thought it was an interesting way to do it and maybe a bit more work then it has to be.. but it looks like he gets them pretty sharp doing it that way.. top plate sure looks funny with a kink in it like it has when he gets done though.. i did some work with a landscaper once and one his fellow workers decided to be nice and sharpen one of my saws for me.. and while i was up in a tree i heard this horrible noise.. and i looked down and the guy was stroking the teeth back and forth like a woman fileing her nails. :( couldent get mad really .. he was just trying to help.. we showed him the dammage done to the teeth and explained a bit about how to file properly .. to the best of our ability.

When I want more performance and theres no dirt possible I do something like what you are describing. I make 2 hooks, one in the side and one looking straight down. It is done by making a 45 angle as you drop the handle end of the file. I was shown this when I was spacing. With a 266xp, 18" bar, 73LG chain (chisel) it will just zip firs like 6-8" in one slice, gone over your shoulder in a second. Sure sucks if you rock out.

Back