Anyone from Wisconisin in here??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am currently living in the PNW and run a lot of bigger saws (woods 660's with 32", husky 3120 with a 50", etc) but am really looking at moving to the Rice Lake/Eau Claire area of Wisconsin.
i'm just curious if i would be better off selling these big saws and just keeping maybe one 66. Since i dont know how big the timber is over there. Just today i cut up a 48" fir.

Or if there is any value for big saws over there.

Thanks for your information

Jason

I've never seen a saw with a 50' bar in these parts! I'm just across the border in MN about 60 miles from Rice Lake.

Around here you what we call huge trees maybe 36" to 42" inches in diameter (large Maple or Elm). Mostly what is cut probably 2 to 2 1/2 feet in diameter. That's from my limited experience only.:pumpkin2:

Quietrangr is right on.

Big Jay, you might want to get the spelling of Wisconsin down before you move there! :hmm3grin2orange:

I Tried, I Really Tried

I am a native of the PNW. I tried to live in Wisconsin. People said it was the prettiest part of Wisconsin too, up North on Chequamegon Bay, Lake Superior.
I tried to like it. The cross country skiing was good. The down hill skiing was well, short. The kayaking was great. The people were really really nice.
I lived in one of those little towns where nobody much locked their doors, at least in my neighborhood. But, I found I missed the mountains. No offense, but the logging there was boring. The pine plantations were planted in rows, which was a hard concept to get used to. There were no pretty mountains. I liked the winters, even when it got -27 but hated the summers. I had never been in such a humid place. The people thought I was crazy cuz I'd head to the lake and go right in to cool off. (I grew up swimming in glacier fed lakes.)Now there were some other people from here that managed to settle there. I had planned to try to stay, but an opportunity popped up here at one of my favorite areas so I came back. I do miss the people there, they were great. And I picked up the accent easily. Youse guys go or no, eh? :heart: If only I could move our mountains there and the summer weather from here......And the trees....and get rid of those brush and deer ticks that were there in the grass and got all over, icky,.....I'm staying here.

Last edited:
i'm from the western part of the state in bangor, it's by la crosse if anyone knows the state. Most of the guys i know who log run 046's and 660's with 28'' bars for hardwood logging. though with the market the way it is now with hardwood and webster lumber closing, i dont know how anyone is still cutting, my dad's been driving log truck for 19 yrs and each year it gets slower.

i'm from the western part of the state in bangor, it's by la crosse if anyone knows the state. Most of the guys i know who log run 046's and 660's with 28'' bars for hardwood logging. though with the market the way it is now with hardwood and webster lumber closing, i dont know how anyone is still cutting, my dad's been driving log truck for 19 yrs and each year it gets slower.

I here you, I been there in the hayday when Websters were sawing 300 logs per shift alone in Bangor and not counting the other smaller mills in Blair and Westby. After Websters sold out the tie procurement plant to Stella-Jones. And then Websters mill(Bangor) became Western Wisconsin Hardwoods,going from tie production to grade lumber production is very difficult. I was sad to here the 90+ plus people losing there jobs though

yea i know, we have now a log truck with a tractor trailer with two flatbeds to haul ties from stella when they get busy, i dont remember it becoming Western Wisconsin Hardwoods, but as much as i know they were still sawing ties till they got closed down. i pulled veener from bangor to marion Wi all summer and it was pretty slow all year. funny how it happend just came in one day and the yard guy told all the drivers that they were shutting down for good and thats at least a dozen drives not to mention the loggers, buyers, mill guys, and the lumber side no less, so much for a company that was almost 100 years old. supposdly there is a lumber company from illonis looking at the site to pile lumber on, but no more mill, but thats just the rumor mill.

I'm in wisconsin, and I'll tell ya, you definately can use those saws over here. You'll just want to put some smaller bars on em. Those hardwoods tax a saw more than the soft trees of the pnw.

As far as living here, there is nothing like the southwest part of the state. It is the driftless area, and geographically unique.

Come on out, you'll love it.

yea that was one of the rumors goin about, supposidly they were telling the bank they had more footage in the yard than was acutally their and using the loans the bank was giving them for themsleves, that and the accountant were all in it together and they all took a share, and then the other is that the owners knew that they were in over their head so they just shut it all down and cut their losses. i dont think anyone really knows the whole story. One the bright side i know my dad said that some company (dont remember who) is trying to pay off the truckers, loggers, and i think some of the landowners who got bad checks or didnt get paid at all in the end.

quietrangr is right on the money. From my informal polling, Stihl 660 and Jonny 2171 with about a 24" seem to be the hot set up for the big maples in my area.

Best to just ask when polling rather that peek in the back of logger's pick ups. They can be funny about that, but usually can't run very fast. Don't want one of those big rascals to sneak up on you and catch you looking in his truck though.:biggrinbounce2:

As far as softwood/pulp doesn't matter. If they can get a harvester in there, no way they're going to send guys in with saws to cut.

Maybe you'll pick up the accent. When I travel, people can't figure out where the heck I'm from. Canada is usually the guess. Except when I met a guy from Oklahoma. We both accused each other of talkin' funny. Then he said his daughter went to school at UW Madison, and he knew right away I was from "Wesconsin".:hmm3grin2orange:

Keep the saws and the bars!

Ya can't go getting rid of saws like that man. You'll ruin the good reputation that we've all been trying to keep around here-that we are all a bunch of addicted "saw junkies".:jawdrop:
You can keep it all and just pick up a couple shorter bars. Ya never know when you'll have to help a neighbor out and cut down a big ole cottonwood.
What type of work are you going to be doing in Wiskeyconsin anywho.
I got relatives that live in that area and I live up near jonseredsjonny and quietrangr.
I run 28" on my 2171 and 7900 but thats just for cutting down some of the hollow basswood and dead maples from the neighbors pasture that I burn in the outdoor wood boiler. And then I don't have to bend over so far when I cut on the ground.:hmm3grin2orange:

+2 Keep the tools, add some shorter bars.

There are enough saw junkies in this state who'd gladly relieve you of them should you change your mind.:cheers:

There must be some pretty big hardwoods up in the Blue Hills near Rice Lake. I notice too that there's some pretty nice white pine is making a comeback in that area, although I don't know how much of it is cut. I'd keep the saws too. You can always sell them later. I have one 90cc Solo and use it.

I'm about 50 miles north of Rice Lake in red and jack pine country and my red pine is NOT planted in rows but nice 100-120 year old natural 2nd growth. Lots of infernal wood ticks tho, but that's because we have so many damned deer and the DNR won't let us shoot enough of them.

Yep, Keep your current equipment

As the rest of the "Sconny" loggers mentioned. Keep your stuff, and just get shorter bars. We have allot of water in northwestern Wisconsin. You could use your longer bars for a canoe paddle to get yourself to some decent cutting, then just change them out when you get there.:hmm3grin2orange:

There must be some pretty big hardwoods up in the Blue Hills near Rice Lake. I notice too that there's some pretty nice white pine is making a comeback in that area, although I don't know how much of it is cut. I'd keep the saws too. You can always sell them later. I have one 90cc Solo and use it.

I'm about 50 miles north of Rice Lake in red and jack pine country and my red pine is NOT planted in rows but nice 100-120 year old natural 2nd growth. Lots of infernal wood ticks tho, but that's because we have so many damned deer and the DNR won't let us shoot enough of them.

How close are you to Grandpatractor???
Good place for a gtg.:laugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back