Anyone have any idea why this saw seized???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, you may feel a little upset with this, but I try to see both sides of a story, and think there may be more to this than a dull chain. A saw running the correct mixture, of high quality, and at the right richness, should not burn up with a dull chain (if it burned down the clutch I could see it). What was that saw on the tach when it left your shop?

How can the dull chain burn it up...if it was tuned right it wouldn't have burned up even with the light load and max rpms...I'd be more suspicion of an incorrect fuel/ oil mix/ the wrong oil or lean mixture.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It simply overheated from being worked too hard, that's not so hard to understand is it? A chain that dull, you would have to lever up on the rear of the saw with both hands to get it to do anything. Ham fisted knuckle draggers are good at wrecking perfectly good saws. I've seen intake boots torn open from it, av mounts go bad from it, crankshaft's snap from it.

Mike, you may feel a little upset with this, but I try to see both sides of a story, and think there may be more to this than a dull chain. A saw running the correct mixture, of high quality, and at the right richness, should not burn up with a dull chain (if it burned down the clutch I could see it). What was that saw on the tach when it left your shop?

I agree. It's pretty difficult to make a well-tuned saw in good condition blow up just by forcing it to cut with a dull chain. I think there's other factors at work.

It simply overheated from being worked too hard, that's not so hard to understand is it? A chain that dull, you would have to lever up on the rear of the saw with both hands to get it to do anything. Ham fisted knuckle draggers are good at wrecking perfectly good saws. I've seen intake boots torn open from it, av mounts go bad from it, crankshaft's snap from it.

I also agree with you Will and I've seen all the same stuff, but I've also seen landing saws forced to cut 10 hours a day with dull chains the entire time, for months on
end and not blow up. I've even seen landing saws run without an air filter and cover and the cylinder packed so full of sawdust that the saw would not turn over. Once
the sawdust was cleaned out, the saw was a fine runner again.

I agree. It's pretty difficult to make a well-tuned saw in good condition blow up just by forcing it to cut with a dull chain. I think there's other factors at work.

I also agree with you Will and I've seen all the same stuff, but I've also seen landing saws forced to cut 10 hours a day with dull chains the entire time, for months on
end and not blow up. I've even seen landing saws run without an air filter and cover and the cylinder packed so full of sawdust that the saw would not turn over. Once
the sawdust was cleaned out, the saw was a fine runner again.

Yes there are allot of variables, some saws are more resilient then others to abuse, some are not.

What happened to the saw? Where is the scoring? Or did it just seize up?

Still got shine on the heal of the top plate, he was just getting started when the saw failed. Lots of peoples chains look like that.

Nice burr on the bar too !!!
How many times have you naysayers read on this forum that running dull chains is the biggest destroyer of saws , bar none ? (pun intended)
By the looks of that bar and chain , he wouldn't have a clue as to maintaining a proper tune either . :bang:

I don't know that I've ever read that dull chains are the biggest destroyer of saws, but all the years I was in the dealerships- the biggest destroyer of saws
I was witness to was poorly maintained fuel systems. People would put their equipment away for the year with gas in the tank, and drag it out months later.
There's a particular season when we would see the most blown up saws and weedeaters- late spring/early summer.

Jacob , maybe my wording was poor . "Biggest destroyer" maybe over-sensationalizes it . But I think you get my point .
John

Dang you guys are a tough crowd!

I didn't say that the dull chain caused all of the damage in and of itself.
I said that I thought the chain had something to do with the demise and I am still 100% convinced that it was a contributing factor.

I haven't completed my autopsy yet but there is more than enough evidence of abuse that I'm not gonna take responsibility on this one.

I don't know what rpms the engine was running at but I do know (and have a very credible witness) that the saw was running great when I delivered it and was four-stroking nicely.
I rebuilt and mildly ported this saw to use for myself and I did for several months.
I was asked by a friend to sell his brother a saw and I took two for him to choose from. This one and a very nice running 029Super.
He chose the Husky.

I will be happy to post pics of the piston tonight when I get a chance.
The owner has had this saw for over a year.
He also has killed 4 Poulans, a Stihl and danged near toasted a nice little Shindaiwa.
Luckily the fuel system gummed up before the Shin could get completely killed.

Mike

a year???

well heck id say make him pay out the rear!!! looks like he was cutting roots that were never washed:hmm3grin2orange:

Man I cannot believe the looks of that piston. He got this saw so hot that it melted that much aluminium to cover the ring. Wow. I would make him pay just for ruining a good saw if nothing else. I cannot believe that there was not some kind of warning the saw was being damanged before it ever got to that point and then he just kept running it. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
I think there should be a law against stupid people using a chain saw, or a test you should have to pass! Stupid!! If my chain even gets the slightest bit dull it drives me crazy,I sharpen it right away it takes 3-4 min. This guy makes my old man look like a pro, and that aint sayin much. :msp_thumbdn:

Man I cannot believe the looks of that piston. He got this saw so hot that it melted that much aluminium to cover the ring. Wow. I would make him pay just for ruining a good saw if nothing else. I cannot believe that there was not some kind of warning the saw was being damanged before it ever got to that point and then he just kept running it. Unbelievable.

I actually got to talk to the owner this evening.
His brother has been doing all of the "go between" until tonight.
The owner says he knew he was probably damaging the saw but it was one of those had to get the job done regardless of the cost.
He was tearing down a 100 year old barn and was using the saw to cut the lumber to truck length.
He stated that the saw would die and he would let it cool off then it would start again and he would cut (gnaw) until it stopped again. :msp_ohmy:

It did that "a bunch of times" then it just wouldn't start up anymore.

He was cool with the price I gave him to fix it.

Mike

I actually got to talk to the owner this evening.
His brother has been doing all of the "go between" until tonight.
The owner says he knew he was probably damaging the saw but it was one of those had to get the job done regardless of the cost.
He was tearing down a 100 year old barn and was using the saw to cut the lumber to truck length.
He stated that the saw would die and he would let it cool off then it would start again and he would cut (gnaw) until it stopped again. :msp_ohmy:

It did that "a bunch of times" then it just wouldn't start up anymore.

He was cool with the price I gave him to fix it.

Mike

I hope you stuck a little more cushion in the price because with this guy who knows when it will be coming back again.

Back