Anyone have any idea why this saw seized???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way!

I'm gonna be good to him.
As long as he is sawing, I'll always have new saw money.

Good on you Mike!!! We, as saw lovers, tend to forget what they are...
TOOLS!!!
Some guys get em, use em' hard, and send em' to one of us to make run again...
They also pay for the repairs... Knowing they did "bad"... I can't tell you how many times my BIL has called me and said "I did a bad thing today"... It's not that he don't work hard, or is stupid... He just needs to get done what he needs to get done...
He don't complain when I give him the price to make it right...
He's the one that got the Black 039....
I'll see it again...
:msp_wink:

I call it "dull chain override". The things people do to make a dull chain cut. I make it clear to my customers that there's no warranty on that crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's not just how dull the chain is that bothers me. Notice the underside of the chain, the bar side... the link plates are ROUND. How much burr is on the underside of the bar ? You could probably do open heart surgery with it.

siezed saw

There is a good lesson learned here, and it has saved me a load of hassle, Dont lend anything with a motor on it or a skirt on it.

If someone wants to borrow my gear, The only way is if I come to, to operate it, And if its wood to be cut or split,I get paid in kind, Or they can go to the local hire centre and destroy their gear, or in this case thank somone upstairs he decided to buy his own and destroy it. Some people have more money than sense

Last edited:
Dang you guys are a tough crowd!

I didn't say that the dull chain caused all of the damage in and of itself.
I said that I thought the chain had something to do with the demise and I am still 100% convinced that it was a contributing factor.

I haven't completed my autopsy yet but there is more than enough evidence of abuse that I'm not gonna take responsibility on this one.

I don't know what rpms the engine was running at but I do know (and have a very credible witness) that the saw was running great when I delivered it and was four-stroking nicely.
I rebuilt and mildly ported this saw to use for myself and I did for several months.
I was asked by a friend to sell his brother a saw and I took two for him to choose from. This one and a very nice running 029Super.
He chose the Husky.

I will be happy to post pics of the piston tonight when I get a chance.
The owner has had this saw for over a year.
He also has killed 4 Poulans, a Stihl and danged near toasted a nice little Shindaiwa.
Luckily the fuel system gummed up before the Shin could get completely killed.

Mike

At that rate, it might be cheaper for him to just buy oil. :msp_unsure:

Ok, here's my take on it: He payed for the saw so as far as I am concerned he can run it over with his truck if he wants to. He owns it. Sounds like the OP isn't bothered by the guy damaging the saw which seems like a healthy attitude to me, as long as they guy pays to get it fixed. Its not the way I would treat my saw but whatever. I own a farm and I get a kick out of craigslist listings where people are selling livestock and write "not for food". Excuse me?

Last edited:
237305d1336428294-p1010934-jpg

Is this the correct clutch?? It doesn't look right for a 55.........

It's not just how dull the chain is that bothers me. Notice the underside of the chain, the bar side... the link plates are ROUND. How much burr is on the underside of the bar ? You could probably do open heart surgery with it.

I was going to say the same thing. The bottom of the chain is mushroomed, he was pushing in the saw hard, for a loooong time. Believe it or not most tree care "professionals" are harder on saws than gust about anyone else.

No gang......

Look at the clutch? Does it look like a Husqvarna 55 clutch? Look at the gap between the clutch shoes and the sprocket, does that look OK?????

Fish,

That clutch was from another saw that he ruined and sent me to "look at".
It was there when Andre and I delivered the Husky and that was what Andre was referring to in his first post.

I just included it as further evidence of how hard this guy is on his tools.

Mike

Fish,

That clutch was from another saw that he ruined and sent me to "look at".
It was there when Andre and I delivered the Husky and that was what Andre was referring to in his first post.

I just included it as further evidence of how hard this guy is on his tools.

Mike

Who is Andre, and why would you put a pic of a different saw in the context of this thread and discussion?

Have you worked on this saw before, and this owner saying that the failure is your fault?

True, you need to find out what burnt up this saw, so you need to stay on point to find out why. Pics of other saws don't prove "reasonable
doubt"......

Or they may......

Last edited:
Andre is Andyshine77.

I have worked on this saw before.
I rebuilt it and gave it a mild port job to use for myself.
I wasn't sure what the owner was going to say, but he openly admitted that he caused the failure, and that after he knew there was a problem, he continued to run the saw until it would stall and then allow it to cool and start it up again ...........until it wouldn't start anymore.

As I said earlier the clutch twisted off was just another example of a good tool ruined by abuse.

Mike

No, just trying to give an idea why that saw seized, as running a dull chain won't do it by itself.

Just assummed that all of the pics pertained.....

Pics of another victim are not admissable, they would prejudice the jury..........

Back to the other victim, it's body needs to be exhumed and an autopsy done on that cadaver, as that clutch/drum area screams at least
a charge of wreckless homicide!!!!

I'll alert the A.S. D.A. and see if we can get it up before the grand jury.........

Back