Anyone have any Mobile 1 2-stroke synthetic left?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasted a couple of hours looking for Mobil 1, finally one of the car parts stores sent me to a motorcycle mechanic and I bought a qt of Amzoil.

The next time I was at the Dolmar dealer, I noticed he was selling six packs of the 6.4oz Dolmar synthetic oil for $8. That's 38.4oz, in convenient little bottles, for slightly less than I paid for the 32oz of Amzoil Dominator. And the Dolmar has dye in it, the Amzoil was apparently intended for injection and is clear. I hate premix that looks like nomix.

woops! Anyway, there is some on ebay.

Only one one on Ebay that I could find for Mobil 2T wants $36 for shipping, and it is over $30 now in bidding for 5 qt. Seems that the price of this stuff is going sky high for what is left (or 2 cents if you can find it at AutoZone).

I found Elf Moto 2XT full synthetic at the motorcycle shop here for $12 a liter. Bel-Ray Si-7 and Torco GP-7 synthetics are both $14 for a liter. About the same Ebay/Mobil 1 price, for a tad more oil. All of these are rated JASO FC and ISO-L-EGD, like Mobil 1 is. Sad that they are no longer making Mobil 1 2T at the price I used to get it it ($8-$9 a qt) and available at auto parts stores.

If it's such good stuff why did they discontinue it?

wasnt enough demand with all the Green Stuff going on,,, has been discontinued since last year @ this time,,,, and there are stihl bottles left on the shelf,,,,

Tree Huggers are doing us all kinds of favors....

As far as a subsitute or equal the Klotz RD 50 is good smokes a bit more when the engine is cold @ 32:1 but lubricates very well

I buy Ultra HP by the gallon for the Tree service/Stump gringing,,,, its very good also,,,,,

Last edited:
I never got an answer on this one. I asked several dealers, and got shrugs in reply. Looked on th earlier AS oil threads on Mobil 1, and did not see the answer there either.

In early 2006, I asked Mobil by email if they had tested the 2T with ethanol-blend fuel and they replied in the negative. A year or so later it's discontinued. I don't know if there is a correlation.

I switched over to Husky XP and haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
Only one one on Ebay that I could find for Mobil 2T wants $36 for shipping, and it is over $30 now in bidding for 5 qt. Seems that the price of this stuff is going sky high for what is left (or 2 cents if you can find it at AutoZone).

I found Elf Moto 2XT full synthetic at the motorcycle shop here for $12 a liter. Bel-Ray Si-7 and Torco GP-7 synthetics are both $14 for a liter. About the same Ebay/Mobil 1 price, for a tad more oil. All of these are rated JASO FC and ISO-L-EGD, like Mobil 1 is. Sad that they are no longer making Mobil 1 2T at the price I used to get it it ($8-$9 a qt) and available at auto parts stores.
Yea, right now it would be $10 per quart shipped to me. I'm not bidding again.

Klotz R-50 is the way to go

I was running short on my Mobil Racing 2T oil, so I ordered a gallon of the Klotz R-50 this Fall. I was very impressed. The saws even seemed to have more power than usual. It was $36.99 plus shipping from the Klotz Warehouse (http://www.klotzwarehouse.com).

I mixed it at 40:1, even though my Stihl 028 Supers call for a 50:1 mix.

Now, is there a clever way to measure out exactly 3.2 oz. for each gallon of gas? I've been using an old left over quart container with the 3.2 oz cup at the top.

:agree2:

I was running short on my Mobil Racing 2T oil, so I ordered a gallon of the Klotz R-50 this Fall. I was very impressed. The saws even seemed to have more power than usual. It was $36.99 plus shipping from the Klotz Warehouse (http://www.klotzwarehouse.com).

Now, is there a clever way to measure out exactly 3.2 oz. for each gallon of gas? I've been using an old left over quart container with the 3.2 oz cup at the top.

Got to your local vet and get a syringe and put a piece of vacuum hose on it to suck out the oil. I think 29cc's is 1 ounce but i just go with 30.

Yes, buy a 2 stroke mixing cup from Baileys.

50:1 in everything.

Yes, buy a 2 stroke mixing cup from Baileys.

50:1 in everything.
Exactly, they are quite convenient for various gallon amounts and ratios.

I did not like Mobil, not because of its lubricating quality, but because of its lack of color, LOL. I know it sounds petty, but I like Amsoil or others because they turn the 2 stroke gas blue.

We can all cry about the various minor lubricating abilities and differences to no end, or whether or not the ratio should be 30:1 or 50:1 or 100:1, but if you totally forget or mistakenly don't put any oil in the gas and someone else or yourself puts straight gas in the saw, well, you can plan on needing a P&C in about 2 minutes.

I didn't like Mobil oil because it didn't have any color to it, so you can't tell when its in the jug/gas. I run the Amsoil Saber at 50:1, which is a dark blue in color, and have all this year and the saws haven't destroyed themselves and when you take the muffler off and slowly move the piston up and down, there is an excellent coat of blue oil all over it. My saw-builder has taken several of the saws apart and checked them and he says they don't look like they have worn a bit.

Additionally, there are several members that are running Amsoil at 100:1 without any problems. Now I admit that takes a certain testicular fortitude that I don't have yet, LOL, but there isn't anyone that I have heard of who is willing to run their chosen oil at that 100:1 ratio and talk about, additionally, if Amsoil states it can be run at 100:1, being a multi-million/billion company I would think they probably have someone knowledgable hired to tested it quite a bit. If it failed they wouldn't recommend it at that ratio, additionally, running the oil at 100:1 in theory would cut their volume of sale in half when compared to 50:1, so why would they do it unless it does truly work at that ratio.

My opinion,

Sam

The newer Mobil One Racing 2 T in the quart bottles has red dye in it. I bought a lot of MX2T (same oil) in pint bottles at Autozone for a $1 each and it did not have dye in it, so I got some liquid candle makers dye at Michaels and made it blue (10 to 12 drops per pint). Amsoil Saber at 50 to 1 should be fine for those engines that call for that ratio, I too would not run any oil leaner than the engine manufacturer calls for. I use 32 to 1 in all my two cycles even those that call for 50 to 1.

Nalgene makes some nifty little 6oz bottles that seal tight, don't mind being bumped around in the saw box, and whatnot. 6oz to two gallons is a workable ratio, and super easy to measure and mix...

I realized this past weekend that I only have 15 quarts left...going faster than I had thought, for how little cutting I've been doing lately. Burned up 4 gallons of mix on Saturday doing leaves...

Last edited:

My favorite is to use a decent scale I have in the shop. That way I can do any amount in any cup.

All you have to do is determine how much your brand of oil weighs per oz.

I use one of those dinky 2.6 oz bottles. I drew a line around the outside with a magic marker, and I fill it with a quart or liter bottle of oil and then dump it into a gallon of gas. I usually overfill it a tad to get more like 45:1 and err on the side of more lube in the mix.

The Mobile 2T that I had was dyed light red. Just enough to give the clear gas a light red tint, like the tint that leaded gas used to have. Leaded gas... smelled so sweet... bad for you, but it smelled good. :dizzy:

I have a Ratio Rite and it works fine for mixing a 5 gallon batch of mix - but I don't believe the markings start until you get to 2 OZ and there are no markings for partial ounces if you just mix a gallon at a time. Estimating in between is difficult as it is tapered and going halfway between the marks will get you less than half an ounce. The difference between 40:1 and 50:1 is only the difference between using 3.2 or 2.6 ounces. In my motorcycle the mix is 80:1 and the Ratio Rite just won't measure 1.6 oz at all.

I have been using a clear plastic bottle from Lucas Fuel Treatement that I have marked to 2.6 oz. by dumping a new Stihl 2.6 oz bottle into the used plastic bottle. The Lucas bottle is pretty narrow so an accurate measurement is pretty easy - however the cap is somewhat narrow and pouring a precise amount from the quart 2T bottle is a little tough.

I am going to see if I can recycle one of the old bottles of cheap mix that you can get at the Big Box stores that have the measuring cup on the side that you squeeze the oil into and is marked at 2.6 oz (My neighbor buys all his saws and oil at the Big Box stores and I can probably get a used oil bottle from him). There is a little plastic button pushed into the bottom of the measuring cup that they plug after the fill the bottom reservoir - and if I can remove that I could pour my 2T into that for measuring. Also the Sta-Bil bottles have a measuring cup on the side that is graduated - and they have caps on both sides and those bottles could be re-used for measuring mix.

I am also going to go look at one of these Quick 2 Mix bottles from Maxima and see if they will measure 2.6 oz any easier. Unfortunately all of the photos I can find on the web do not show the back of the bottle to see how well they woud measure 2.6 oz when only mixing a gallon. Most motorcycles use gas quickly and they are set up for mixing a 5 gallon can - 5 gallons of mix for my chainsaws would last months.

attachment.php

I just looked and the Ratio Rite does have a scale for mixing 1 gallon down to 50:1.

I now remember the reason that I don't like to use it for small mixes is that the cup is huge - and when you measure out 2.6 oz and pour it into the gas container - most of the oil sticks to the sides of the Ratio Rite. This requires you to start pouring some gas from the fuel container into the Ratio Rite and swishing it around until it is all washed of the side of the Ratio Rite. It takes me about 3 or 4 of these rinsings until I have all the oil out of the Ratio Rite.

Latest posts

Back