Anyone have experience renting out their own log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacDIESEL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've made up my mind to purchase my own log splitter (I get enough of a workout between the gym and my wife! :msp_biggrin:) Like so many others on this site I'm not content with renting or borrowing I always need to own my own tools (new, used, broken; whatever gets the job done). I'll likely purchase either a 25 or 27 ton horizontal/ vertical splitter. My question for those of you out there who own their own splitter have you ever entertained the thought of renting it out? It seems a lot of folks will rent a splitter for a day or two. Just wondering if anyone has had any personal luck with this. I'm a FIRM believer that you should always return something in the same shape as what you got it in. Unfortunately, not everyone has these same principles. I guess you run the gamete lending or renting your stuff out to people. Then there's always the potential to be held libal if someone were sue-happy. I wouldn't expect this to be very lucrative and do not intend on leaving my day job but would just like to hear other's take/ experience on this.

Would Not Rent My Splitter

I've never even thought about renting my splitter out - I'll leave that option open to the rent all places who are in business for that purpose.

There are too many folks who are not of the same character as you and will not be as caring about what condition the machine is returned in. I wouldn't even think about renting out any of my chainsaws either.

But say for example you have a good friend who needs to split some wood you could take the splitter over to his house or maybe he could bring the wood to yours.

Nosmo

Would not even consider it...I todays sue happy society somebody will own everything
you have or ever hope to have....just not worth it....

neighbor fella decided to do this 2 years ago. went to 2 different people. first one broke the foot of the beam. i welded it back for him. second one completely broke the handle off the hydro lever. not sure how that happened but assume a log was dropped on the lever. cant see any other way this could happen. anyway we fabed a handle and the renting stopped. lol.

I have and never will again.
I can run my splitter for years trouble free, lend/rent it and somehow it always seems to break?
One time a guy called me up said some bolts broke.
I went to look at it and told him (Congratulations you just snapped 4 grade #8 bolts)
I give it the rental car theory ,it seems when ever i rent one i seem to put my foot on the pedal a little heavier than i would if it were mine.(kind of like what will this baby do!)+ i never get to drive something NEW and it won't break.
Most of us will admit to it too!
( I wonder it i can split this crotch sideways against the grain since i am having problems trying to split it normally?)
Mark

I have had a few people ask me about renting or borrowing my splitter. I have never done that. Most of the time I will end up takeing it to them and splitting their wood with them for free. I enjoy splitting. Often you get a free meal out of it. Will work for food. Never thought about the law suite thing. That is scary.

I have and never will again.
I can run my splitter for years trouble free, lend/rent it and somehow it always seems to break?
One time a guy called me up said some bolts broke.
I went to look at it and told him (Congratulations you just snapped 4 grade #8 bolts)
I give it the rental car theory ,it seems when ever i rent one i seem to put my foot on the pedal a little heavier than i would if it were mine.(kind of like what will this baby do!)+ i never get to drive something NEW and it won't break.
Most of us will admit to it too!
( I wonder it i can split this crotch sideways against the grain since i am having problems trying to split it normally?)
Mark

agree. when it dont cost much to use. and isnt yours..... most will not care. "Drive it like you stole it" law applies here.:hmm3grin2orange:

I forgot to mention if this is your 1st splitter lean it's limitations.
There is alot of Chinee steel out there.(WEEFOOYOU crap)
Most rental people have never used a splitter before and will try things that you wouldn't do to inexperience or stupidity.
One of my splitters broke today due to AGE,i don't mind fixing it since it broke in my use.(hell it's at least 35 years old)
I own 3 others that i know what wood they will split and they are placed on the woodlot by what species they can handle.

I've only loaned mine to a close friend once. I was there with it while my son was operating it with his son. So I know what's happening with it. There are some real winners out there when it comes to running equipment they have no bizness operating. Don't do it. You will only regret it if you do.

Been there, done that. As others have said, the majority of people out there don't care enough to treat YOUR equipment with any reasonable level of respect. I've loaned mine out on a couple of occasions to "friends" and the results were not good. Keep in mind, these guys were "friends". At this point, nobody has borrowing privileges when it comes to my equipment. The other consideration is insurance. If you don't have liability insurance and you rent out your equipment in return for any kind of compensation, God help ya' if somebody does something stupid and gets hurt while using your splitter. Your life will change forever and it won't be a positive change.

Insurance

The local T'Wolf dealer looked into making his demo machine, TW-5 available as a rental. The cost of liability insurance involved was a huge nut he had to overcome so he decided against it. If you plan to rent you'll have to go through the machine before and after each rental and keep meticulous maintenance records in the event someone is injured with your splitter. Insurance and continuous upkeep are part of what makes the rates for rental equipment so high. Your homeowner's insurance probably will not cover any equipment used off your property, in a commercial application and most certainly not as a rental piece of equipment.

The previous point about towing over the road is well taken. Splitters are best moved long distances on a trailer, can you provide one? Also if the renter doesn't have the good sense to shut off the gas and run the machine dry before transport, you can expect a lot of gas getting into the oil issues. Also if the renter gets the machine home, are you prepared to go start it if he floods it, or put a new tire on it after he takes the sidewall out on a sharp rock?

I have been asked many times how much I charge to rent my TW2-HD. I tell them the same as it costs per hour for me and the machine. In short, where it goes, I go.

Take Care

Between the liability, maintenance, depreciation, repairs and taxes involved you would be crushed. If your goal is to defray cost of ownership, you could advertise on CL for three to five guys to go in on a purchase with you and screen out the nut jobs, Spend $20 and form an LLC as the owner, work out a use schedule and a buyout clause. Common ownership would take care of liability as long as none of the parties involved didn't let a non-owner use it. If you go this route, make sure all aspects such as maintenance and repairs are addressed in the agreement and always keep the number of owners an odd number so a simple majority is easier to get in the event of a dispute.

Last edited:
There are a couple of people i will lend tools/equipment to, but we know each other well and know how we treat things. I think if I were to rent something out I would have to develop a different mindset about it - it couldn't be my splitter that I was renting out, it would have to be a splitter i was renting out but used myself when it was available (if that makes sense).

Don't do it!!

Never "rented" my splitter, I have "loaned" it out to a couple different "friends" and just wasn't happy. Now they aint happy either.
A couple winters ago I came up with a new policy,,I go with my splitter and every other split goes on my truck!! I haven't had any one want to use it under my new terms,, and that's just fine with me!

The BIL and FIL have use of it. They are both good guys and treat it well.

The tires are rated for 45 MPH what is the first thang they do after they hook it to their truck? Go 60. Then they will break th recoil in the starter. And blame you and act angry because it didn't meet their expectation. Normally I would encourage a guy, in this case I don't think you will break even.

Latest posts

Back