Anyone own a 'Super Split' log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kah68

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a splitter and I'm wondering who has the 'Super Split' how do you like it, how much did you pay? Oh and is anyone selling one used ?

http://www.supersplit.com/

Thanks

Kirk

Last edited:
I have one and love it. I think it's the best splitter on the market. Mine was $2850 and that was 4 years ago. You will love the thing. Do a seach this has been cover a bunch on here.

Scott

After watching ten minutes of video on their site I've got some serious interest!
Was that hardwood he was splitting?

What is the 'cycle time' of those $4k to $6k TW's?
Just asking as I need to find a splitter too.

Supersplit makes a good machine. It does have a few areas for improvement (doesn't everything?). Review the following thread post #12 to see the few areas for improvement. I believe the supersplit is the most productive splitter in its price class and is very well built. It is definitely not the safest. If you are at all "accident prone" don't buy one. If you are safety conscious and careful, it will make a very good machine for you.
Look at post #12 in
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=54622&highlight=super+split

Wicked Nice! I just bought one a month ago, the one with the 4.5hp subaru. Splits everything. The only time you have to hit a piece of wood twice is when it gets caught in the cross grain, so it is cutting it more then splitting it. I can cut and split a cord of wood with this splitter in about 2.5 hours. I bought mine fore $1500 in the local swap and sell guide. In my opinion, short of buying a processor, these machiences are the next best productive units.

Any additional photos?

I know this is an older thread but I was wondering if anyone who owns a super split would be willing to post a few images of the rack engagement cam and release mechanisms.

Merry Christmas!

-Adrien

almost 3 decades of use

I have used the SuperSplit electric splitter for almost 3 decades.
Amazing machine. It is safe unless you are a real Klutz. Even my wife has used it often, never any anxiety, problems.

No problems until this week when I lost the key. How careless. I wrote to the company for advice. Will wait and see if they have any customer service / advice.

FS

Kirk,

I purchased the SSHD with the 6hp Robin engine for $3,100 delivered about a month ago and I am thoroughly impressed and satisfied. I think you'll be hard pressed to find one used. I looked for about 6 months and only saw one on eBay in Texas that with shipping was the same price as I paid for the new one. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Dan

tw cycle time

the cycle time is much more 10sec or so but also take into account its 25tons of force and would cut wood sideways and also add to that you put a 6way wedge in place and 10 sec for 6 cuts is 1.5sec per cut and the other i think is 1 cut 4 sec. but you better be running alot of wood to but a tw5 or bigger ps one is for sale by me. i love the thing just not cutting that much wood anymore to keep such a big machine.

They have a great rep - quick cycle time-works great on the smaller logs. Looks flimsy to me and especially with the larger logs. That fast cycle time is great with a couple of people= whats the benefit when working by yourself?:greenchainsaw:

Super Split

Everyone speaks very highly of these units. I, however, use the vertical mode with my Swisher probably 95% of the time. I see no evidence that you can place these in a vertical mode. Am I wrong or not??

Everyone speaks very highly of these units. I, however, use the vertical mode with my Swisher probably 95% of the time. I see no evidence that you can place these in a vertical mode. Am I wrong or not??

No vertical on the SS.

I have one as well and wont ever buy another hydraulic splitter again. It took a long time, but I finally found my used SS in like new condition (owner said it had only been used a few hours) for $1400... a price I was very happy to pay.

The machine is so simple I struggle to understand the $3k price tag, but in use they are worth every penny!!!

Friend of mine just bought a new one and I managed to borrow it for a little while. It is incredible, especially when compared to my big box store hydraulic splitter. One problem we've had is getting it to return- the roller that supports the rack gets fouled and has to be constsntly cleaned out. What solutions do you longtime SS owners have?

I'd like to see a video of how it handles a piece of knotty 20" diameter sycamore or oak before I'd give it a thumbs up. All that demo wood in the videos looks like stuff my hydraulic splits clean after only going 3" into a 20" log.

Interesting though.

i've broke and bent so many of those little ones you buy for $3k....

so i built my own.

goes on the forks of my front end loader, snap-coupler into the loaders hydraulic system.
it's vertical so i don't have to blow out my back. i put the wedge on cylinder instead of the base. also made wedge 2ft wide, sometimes i run into a big one :)

i finally threw my hands up when i bent the shaft of of 4 of those little tiny twig cylinders; always when they were ALLLLLMOST done splitting, and hit a knot, then *TWEAK* it's bent., so the 5th time i put on one with a 9" bore and 48" stroke. not sure of the push, must be in the 100 ton with a 2000psi releif? i had the formula somewhere. it splits a 3ft wide piece of knotty walnut like a hot knife through butter.

i like it. i can carry it around wherever the loader goes. pull some pins and it's horizonatal, so i can drive up to a massve bucked peice, lay it over it, pinch it in 1/2, they're easier to handle.

dunno about you guys, but i HATE them little briggs engines, always an ass to try and start when cold. gutless at that.

Last edited:
Trialanderror

Now that is a mansized splitter!! With a 9" cylinder and 2000psi you should be able to generate around 63.5 tons of force. Will you be coming to central Indiana with it soon? That is exactly what I need for some huge rounds of silver maple, elm and sycamore. Good job. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back