Anyone own a 'Super Split' log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been cleaning the beam with my pocketknife- the scraper is a good idea, save the knife for opening beer bottles- and spraying away with the WD40, it's good to hear that I've been heading in the right direction :cheers:

I've found that a gasket scraper with a 45° angled head on it works even better (mine is a Mac and has about a 3/4" edge), but it's not as handy to keep in your pocket or on the SS w/o making a custom holder. The blade is sharper and the angle makes it nice for getting under the rack when you pull it out to clean under it. I use the gasket scraper at the end of the day and a 1" stainless steel putty knife during operation.

I'm sure there are more (or better) ways to skin a cat, but this seems to work well for me.

I know this is an older thread but I was wondering if anyone who owns a super split would be willing to post a few images of the rack engagement cam and release mechanisms.

Merry Christmas!

-Adrien

The rack engagement is a very simple linkage with a cam follower on the end of it. The linkage presses the rack down on the pinion then goes over toggle to lock it in for the forward cycle. At the end of the rack there is a chamfer which allows the linkage to release. The linkage can also release by the operator pressing down on the engagement lever.

I modified the linkage on my supersplit so that the operator input is forward and reverse instead of up and down. This sure helps the sore shoulder at the end of the day.

The SS seem like the cats meow. If it were a year ago I think I'd be scrounging for the 3k but a lot has changed.... $2k sounds reasonable. Scott care to post some pictures so I can see what condition yours is in? :)

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to build one (I own a lathe and mill). I've done a bit of research and I think I found the SS patent. It has long since expired.

Given I'm working 12 hrs a day, it's not likely I'll build one but I am curious to see the mechanisms under the hood. Would anyone within a reasonable drive of Stamford, CT be willing to indulge me?

:cheers:

-Adrien

Your welcome to come see mine in NH. I think it would be very easy to build your own if you have the resources. The only chalange I forsee is getting the rack material right. I had an earlier supersplit and bent the rack, the replacement rack I bought from the OEM looked and stood up much better. I have considered making a 4' version for years.

Actually I am looking to run a test and looking for some help. I just got a Powerhorse splitter (splitfire knock off) and want to run some side by side tests. Unforunately I broke my elbow and my curiousity is killing me. I wouldn't sell my supersplit for anything but another but I am curious about the two way splitter and I don't think I will be lending out my supersplit anymore. A friend who is experienced with the superspit (has over 50cord experience on mine) clipped off the ends of two fingers this summer. Learned a tough lesson shouldn't have friends hanging out **** chatting while he is running the splitter.

Everyone speaks very highly of these units. I, however, use the vertical mode with my Swisher probably 95% of the time. I see no evidence that you can place these in a vertical mode. Am I wrong or not??
You are correct. If you have to split some monster logs like the ones I cut, which are over 22" dia. and usually over 250 lb, the Super Split is a dead duck. That's MHO.

Vertical splitting is still a necessity, irrespective of speed, unless you love making bundles of curlies, wearing out saw chains, and using up lots of gas.

You are correct. If you have to split some monster logs like the ones I cut, which are over 22" dia. and usually over 250 lb, the Super Split is a dead duck. That's MHO.

Vertical splitting is still a necessity, irrespective of speed, unless you love making bundles of curlies, wearing out saw chains, and using up lots of gas.

Chains are cheap and the super splitter will more then make up for your chain saw gas usage while quartering them. How many of you guys that split small can get 6-8 ranks of wood split on a tank of gas(normal tank) out of a hydraulic splitter. If I split is as big as some of you guys I could split well over 3 cord with a single tank of gas. Wood doc that log lift you made for your truck would work perfect for the super splitter. I have split 30plus inch elm with the SS. It will do the big stuff.

Scott

Chains are cheap and the super splitter will more then make up for your chain saw gas usage while quartering them. How many of you guys that split small can get 6-8 ranks of wood split on a tank of gas(normal tank) out of a hydraulic splitter. If I split is as big as some of you guys I could split well over 3 cord with a single tank of gas. Wood doc that log lift you made for your truck would work perfect for the super splitter. I have split 30plus inch elm with the SS. It will do the big stuff.

Scott
Scott, thanks for remembering that log lifter, I use it all the time.
LogLifter2.jpg

That's only a 16" dia. log above. Maybe you are right. I usually walk away from the monsters anyway these days. Super Split amazes me and it's compact, light in weight, easy to store, energy efficient, will run on either a gas engine or a 120v electric motor, and will split wood as fast as you can feed it and with no hydraulic mess. I worry about splitting elm, and I cut a lot of that (as shown). If SS can handle that brutal stuff, I'll get one for next year.

Last edited:

"Monster" logs over 22"? Hmmmm, I haven't seen a "monster" log that the saws in your sig would normally handle that the SS can't work through. And for the rare tough customer that is so big it can't be moved, just cut the thing with a saw and then split it. I'll be the first to say the SS probably isn't for everyone, but some of you guys make it sound like the average log most people split is 36"+ diameter, knotty, and 800 lbs... :dizzy:

Well, when over 22" dia. you cannot lift it. Nobody can except super strong guys, especially if the wood is green. Remember that the weight goes up four times as the diameter doubles.

Anyway, people pooh pooh Super Split because (1) they fear lifting big logs to its platform level and (2) they think that crotch or elm will stall it out, (3) the price is about twice what they would pay for a hydraulic, and (4) getting a used one is next to impossible. Used hydraulics are everywhere.

Personally, I like the whole concept of the Super Split. Heck, it takes up less room than my 2-stage snow thrower.

We got some more snow over the weekend and they're calling for a deep freeze later in the week but today was beautiful and I had the day off so I took the new SS out for some fresh air and exercise. After reading all of these posts it might not be the right splitter for everybody but the one thing that is clear is that everyone who owns one is pretty pleased.

Just a wild idea but a person could use a old square hay baler running off a tractor pto or a small engine to turn the pto and use a beefed up plunger arm as the splitting ram and the cut down bale chamber as a work platform, just torch off all the hay pick up side, it is the same basic principle with very minor modifications, they run 45 strokes minute up to 100 stokes a minute depending on the gear box and rpm of the input shaft. It would damn sure hit hard enough to split wood.

Scott, thanks for remembering that log lifter, I use it all the time.
LogLifter2.jpg

I always remember talent and you sir have that. I envy things like this because no matter how had I try I can;t make something work and be pretty. I could make one of those but it would look like crap. I know my limits and hen i see people with talent I respect it because I can't do it.

Scott

My friends father has a SS that is about 30 years old and still works just fine. At one point in time back in the late 70's early 80's he had 5 SS. They were the heart of his firewood bus. He was running 5 splitters and 5 conveyers.

I have not personally used it yet but I will come spring time. He says that it has split anything that he can get on the beam. For stuff that he cant get on the beam he will half it with the saw or half it with a maul and wedge.

Just a wild idea but a person could use a old square hay baler running off a tractor pto or a small engine to turn the pto and use a beefed up plunger arm as the splitting ram and the cut down bale chamber as a work platform, just torch off all the hay pick up side, it is the same basic principle with very minor modifications, they run 45 strokes minute up to 100 stokes a minute depending on the gear box and rpm of the input shaft. It would damn sure hit hard enough to split wood.

I have seen this done and it does work really well. The only problem is it's either on or off. You can't stop it quick. It does work well though.

Scott

My question with the bailer splitter option is how would you center the wood on the wedge each and ever time? You would ahve to v the plunger and the bottom of the bale chamber to center each logg I would think

Which model is that? I like the handle better than the knob.
The rack not returning, is that what they were talking about needing the scraper to keep it clean?

The rack rides across the main beam and it can get munged up with wood and return poorly. Mine has a larger spring that replaced the stock one.
but you can keep it clean very easy, scrape it off every so often and dont use a heavy oil or grease

Latest posts

Back