Anyone own a 'Super Split' log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I WD-40 and scrape the beam regularly but the rack doesn't always fully retract. I usually find myself just giving it a tap with the piece I'm about to split and that does the trick. I don't find it to be much of an annoyance. One of these days maybe I'll go out and get a little stiffer spring.

It would be pretty easy to build one, I thought about it as well. If I didn't find my SS, this is probably the route I would have taken.

There is also a guy building a clone for almost half the price. I haven't seen his machine in person, but it certainly didn't look nearly as polished as the SS when I checked it out on his website many months ago. Although, the price and the product may have changed since then. I want to say the name of it was something like "Timber Wolf" and I believe he's located in VT or possibly NH. It's at least worth checking out if you want a similar machine w/o the hefty price tag.

Keep an eye out for used machines as well, I saw (and missed) two others before I got mine. This was over a 6 month period. One, in RI, was electric and went for $400, and the other, in NH, was gas and went for $800. They have been making these for a long time, but I don't think they've made any significant changes in the design over the years. Because the design is pretty simple, there isn't much to wear or break on them so don't be concerned about the age of the machine should you find an older used machine.

I have one cord of oak left to split next weekend, you're welcome to come over and do the splitting and check out how the SS is built if you'd like. I'm in Clinton.

I bought the Wood Wolf this past Fall and split about 1.5 cord. Worked great for a novice like me. I had my own reason's for buying it and speed was not one of them. 1) It's manufactured just down the road from me. 2) Without the towing set up (wide axle), it fits through the 36" door of my walkout basement. Here's the link to the Wood Wolf site. http://thewoodwolf.com/. It's got a 6.5hp Honda clone engine and runs and operates great.

I bought the Wood Wolf this past Fall and split about 1.5 cord. Worked great for a novice like me. I had my own reason's for buying it and speed was not one of them. 1) It's manufactured just down the road from me. 2) Without the towing set up (wide axle), it fits through the 36" door of my walkout basement. Here's the link to the Wood Wolf site. http://thewoodwolf.com/. It's got a 6.5hp Honda clone engine and runs and operates great.

Yep, that's the SS knockoff I was referring to. It's not as polished as the SS, but it's the same basic machine at a lot less money. Looks like it would be hard to beat for $1500.

I WD-40 and scrape the beam regularly but the rack doesn't always fully retract. I usually find myself just giving it a tap with the piece I'm about to split and that does the trick. I don't find it to be much of an annoyance. One of these days maybe I'll go out and get a little stiffer spring.

Like I mentioned earlier, it will loosen up with time. Mine very rarely does this anymore.

Latest posts

Back