Anyone paying 400 bucks to save their pics & vids?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEAM

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Seems like Photobucket is trying to blackmail us into paying 400 bucks to keep our pics hosted for 3rd party sites... more like picture hostage than hosting as far as I am concerned.
If they really wanted to get rid of non-paying members (it was a free service, after all) they should at least offer a bulk download feature to retrieve pics from one's account before closing it. I am sorry for all the forums losing millions of pics over this idiotic move.

Does anyone actually pay 400 bucks?

Arboristsite couldn't get 400 members to pony *one* dollar to keep the pics and history of the site 'safe'?? btw, Im not condoning in any way, shape or form what pb is doing

I have 12 years of forum pictures on PB. I'm not doing anything right now.

BTW, when I checked this morning the price was $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year.
The way I read this, only the most expensive plan allows 3rd party hosting. What's the differance between "linking" and "3rd party hosting anyway"?
Copied and pasted:
PLUS 50
52.0 GB Storage
$5.99 / MO
Billed Annually

$59.99 / YR
CHOOSE
MOST POPULAR & BEST VALUE!
PLUS 100
102.0 GB Storage
$9.99 / MO
Billed Annually

$99.99 / YR
CHOOSE

PLUS 500
502.0 GB Storage
$39.99 / MO
Billed Annually

$399.99 / YR
CHOOSE
Choose the plan that’s right for you and enjoy the premium member benefits.
  • Plus 50 offers 50GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting
  • Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting
  • Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking, Unlimited Bandwidth, and 3rd Party Hosting*
  • Ad free browsing
  • Get FREE monthly Print Shop giveaways & exclusive offers, valued up to $500
  • Two months free with an Annualized Plan
  • Plus 500 members receive all of the above, PLUS dedicated url and support

Linking would be a text link while 3rd party hosting would be an embedded image or thumbnail, I guess...
Retrieving my images is not really the problem, I have all the images backed up somewhere - losing millions of embedded pics all over the internet will make forums look like Swiss cheese.

PB locked me out years ago when I had some images that did not jive with their LIBERAL ideology. :baaa:

I think they were of Sotero and the Hildebeast? I all of a sudden could not login.

I hope they go bankrupt , sooner than later. :clap:

I have all my images/photos on my old or new computer and backed up on HDs.

As already stated, the problem is all the existing links to pb hosted photos on sites just like this that will go away, it will possibly be a bigger loss than the big hack.
On this site you can't edit your past content, so it's not possible to go back and add the pics back from a different source, even if anyone wanted to go to all that trouble.
I'm certainly not paying them anything...

As already stated, the problem is all the existing links to pb hosted photos on sites just like this that will go away, it will possibly be a bigger loss than the big hack.
On this site you can't edit your past content, so it's not possible to go back and add the pics back from a different source, even if anyone wanted to go to all that trouble.
I'm certainly not paying them anything...
^^^ This^^^

Even if I change hosting sites, there no way in hell I'd go back and fix all the links.

Not that many here, but a bunch on Blade Forums.

For $200, one can get a domain name of their own, unlimited hosting and unlimited bandwidth for 2 years at outfits like Dreamhost. Why anyone would pay 4 times that to put up with PB is beyond me.

I haven't seen anything from photobucket about this regarding my account but notice others are having 'third party' warnings posted instead of pics.
I wonder if there's a size/usage threshold before they want $'s?

Random pic test to see if I'm afflicted yet...

288lite1_zpsc8310902.jpg

Well, I can see the pic, if anyone can't please let me know...

Back