Anyone use amsoil products in there saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, more oil = more power, it's been proven over and over, let alone more protection.
I just can't see the need for the really lean mix ratios other than a marketing gimmick, and definitely not when the specific power output (ie heat levels) have been raised.

80:1?!!!!!!!!! Maybe 50:1, lol. My BIL tied up a blower running an oil at 100:1. I heard of a Lawn Boy doing the same. Oil's not so expensive that I need to run so little, especially when most of mine are ported.

LOL... I know it sounds scary, it would be to show the amount of oil residue left behind. Trying it at 50:1 would be fine too... The whole point would be to see with your own eyes the amount of oil bath on the parts.

So are you asking me to sacrifice one of my ported saws to the saw gods by running it on Sabre at 100:1? Think a 260 turning 17,400 would hold up? I can get a new top end for $85 from Bcorradi anyway, LOL.

Well ran it today at 70:1 also put in new plug in it this morning. WOW is all i can say ran 100 times better and smoother then it ever did with the stihl oil. Everything was greatly improved pick up idel mid speed all just ran smoother and all out better. Pullged the plug at the end of the day was the perfect chocolate brown color. Shined a light in the hole piston looked to have just a slight coating of llight brown to it. Ill be using this oil for a long time.

Well I am offering up a Stihl weedeater that my father in law gave me to experiment at 100:1 with the Saber. I will be running it at 100:1 and really don't expect any problems.

I am not convinced that difference in Kinematic Viscosity difference between oils is a big indicator of the oils ability to to protect an engine from scoring or seizing......I just emailed Amsoil to see what they have to say and with it being Friday afternoon I would expect that I won't hear from them until Monday. If Kinematic Viscosity was important.....why would their racing specific oil be thinner than the oil they recommend for yard tools? I think that the kinematic viscositiy of 2.6 oz of oil diluted by 128 oz of gasoline is going to be pretty insignificant. What I believe matters is the shear strength and ability of the oil to remain between the moving parts.

i bought a bottle of dominator at lunch and will mix up a batch tonite to try in the 372. couldn't get the saber in town the dealer for amsoil never heard of it here.

Last edited:
Well I am offering up a Stihl weedeater that my father in law gave me to experiment at 100:1 with the Saber. I will be running it at 100:1 and really don't expect any problems.

I am not convinced that difference in Kinematic Viscosity difference between oils is a big indicator of the oils ability to to protect an engine from scoring or seizing......I just emailed Amsoil to see what they have to say and with it being Friday afternoon I would expect that I won't hear from them until Monday. If Kinematic Viscosity was important.....why would their racing specific oil be thinner than the oil they recommend for yard tools? I think that the kinematic viscositiy of 2.6 oz of oil diluted by 128 oz of gasoline is going to be pretty insignificant. What I believe matters is the shear strength and ability of the oil to remain between the moving parts.

That ain't gonna get it, Dave. We want you to sacrifice that new 460 when you get it. Either you believe in the product or you don't, LOL:cheers: Please do report back with what Amsoil has to say.

Most dealers do not carry the Saber as it does not sell as well as their other products. Motorcycle owners are not going to mix at the 100:1 ratio that is listed on the bottle and chainsaw/weedeater types are jusally not going to pay $ 10 a guart for oil.

I asked my local motorcycle dealer that carries Amsoil to order me a quart and they had it in a couple of days.

i bought a bottle of dominator at lunch and will mix up a batch tonite to try in the 372. couldn't get the saber in town the dealer for amsoil never heard of it here.

let us know what ya think about it.

As far as the b/c oil it seams to be thinner then the stihl but it is alot stickyer not sure if that is a good thing or not but to me it seems like a good thing.

let us know what ya think about it.

As far as the b/c oil it seams to be thinner then the stihl but it is alot stickyer not sure if that is a good thing or not but to me it seems like a good thing.

will do, i run cheap canadian tire b/c oil it's 12.99 for a 4 liter jug, the stihl husky dealer wants close to 20 for a 4 liter. thats why i quit dealing with him.

So are you asking me to sacrifice one of my ported saws to the saw gods by running it on Sabre at 100:1? Think a 260 turning 17,400 would hold up? I can get a new top end for $85 from Bcorradi anyway, LOL.

No, not one of your ported saws... I was thinking about a stock one, next time one falls on your doorstep.

It's good oil, I only know this because I've never had any failures, and like I said earlier... All the parts had a liberal coating of oil.

One thing to remember about Interceptor (and I assume Dominator) is that it's made for injection systems and has no dye. I hate undyed premix. I want to see blue or green fuel go into my 2 stroke OPE.

I've used Interceptor at 40 and 50 to one.
Works fine, but it annoys me not having dye in my mix. The Dominator should be slightly better according to Amsoil, but I bet you'd never detect a difference.

Last edited:
One thing to remember about Interceptor (and I assume Dominator) is that it's made for injection systems and has no dye. I hate undyed premix. I want to see blue or green fuel go into my 2 stroke OPE.

I've used Interceptor at 40 and 50 to one.
Works fine, but it annoys me not having dye in my mix. The Dominator should be slightly better according to Amsoil, but I bet you'd never detect a difference.

dominator has a red dye in it. It will turn your gas red once mixed and dominator is for either premix or injection

Brad, here's a good test for you. Next time you have a saw torn down, make sure the inside of the case is good and clean. When it's all back together... Mix some Amsoil Saber at 80:1, and run a few tanks through it.

Pull it back down, and see how much oil is covering everything. I was Running Saber at 100:1 in my 038 Super... When I pulled it apart, the crank and jug had blue oil droplets on it. Plenty of oil was in there.

I have said that before too. Run the saw with that Sabre in it for a little while and then pull the muffler off and the piston will look like a little blue smurf in there, oil is everywhere and thick.

Sam

Latest posts

Back