Anyone use amsoil products in there saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dominator is crazy looking stuff. I love mixing it up for my dirtbike. It is BRIGHT red and looks like melted red jolly ranchers.

<snip>
.....why would their racing specific oil be thinner than the oil they recommend for yard tools?

or to turn this around the other way, why do all the worlds major two stroke oil blenders use much higher viscosity oils for their racing brews.
None of those companies are numpties, not when you have world motorcycle and kart championships on your palmares.

I think that the kinematic viscositiy of 2.6 oz of oil diluted by 128 oz of gasoline is going to be pretty insignificant. What I believe matters is the shear strength and ability of the oil to remain between the moving parts.

Film strength is unrelated to oil viscosity, but there is a direct correlation between film thickness and viscosity.

Case in point, when NEO began supplying their 0W-5 (and yes, I know there is no such SAE viscosity range) di-ester based oils for car racing in the early nineties, it performed better on a Falex test (a test of film strength) than any of their other, or the oppositions oils. Unfortunately, when engine builders started to use it they experienced increased bore wear and cavitation errosion of the bearings. While that oil had superior film strength, the film thickness wasn't sufficient to prevent metal to metal contact of the rings and cylinder. A significant change in bore surface finish and clearances was required to extract the full benefit from the oil.
A much finer grit + plateau honing was my work around, I'm sure other builders came to similar conclusions.

Whether this is significant or not on the little ends and nikasil finish of a modern saw I'm not sure, but we definitely went up in viscosity and reduced the mix ratio when going from relatively understressed 11,000 RPM kart engines to 15,000 RPM piston port and 15-18,000 RPM reed and rotary engines twenty years ago.

the dealer had dominator last week, i was going to pick it up at lunch it had all sold and he's not getting any more in. said it was ordered by mistake and
he's not sticking it. so i guess i cant try it till i find some one who carries it.
i hate this town. i'll find it sooner or later.

I have run many gallons of Amsoil Domminator oil through a KTM 200 motorcycle. My opinion is there are a lot better oils out there. Amsoil is not a smoke free oil and it builds carbon on the power valve just as bad as others. For the same money you can buy Mobil One MX2T and get a smoke free oil. I always keep a packet of Opti-2 with me on the bike. I use it as an emergency oil. When I have used it iv'e been very happy with it. I would rate it as one of the cleanest oils out there. The bottom line is the chainsaw oils have a lot more additives in them and are much cleaner oil the the bulk stuff. It only makes sense that they would want the chainsaw to run cleaner. You are a lot closer to the exhaust cloud.
ZG

the dealer had dominator last week, i was going to pick it up at lunch it had all sold and he's not getting any more in. said it was ordered by mistake and
he's not sticking it. so i guess i cant try it till i find some one who carries it.
i hate this town. i'll find it sooner or later.

I can ship

I wonder how Polaris VES Gold would work in a chainsaw. That stuff smells sooo good

It works well but there is hardly any dye in the oil so your not sure if the gas is a mix or not. Thats why I like klotz, the red dye gives the gas a real good color.

What type of klotz do you use in your saw?

The dye wouldn't be a big issue for me, I only mix my gas in one container, its a 1 gal motor oil container. so I can't get it mixed up with my regular gas cans

What type of klotz do you use in your saw?

The dye wouldn't be a big issue for me, I only mix my gas in one container, its a 1 gal motor oil container. so I can't get it mixed up with my regular gas cans

klotz technaplate, same thing as I use in my sled. Smokes a tad on startup but after that there is no smell. I run it about 40:1.

Last edited:
Where do you find your klotz xcr? I can honestly say I have never seen any for sale here in Maine. I can get amsoil dominator no problem though(which is what I will probably start using).

I shouldn't post this but I did. Sorry if it offends any amsoil salesmen
I get it shipped from a guy in mn. He is real fast and good on his shipping. I met him over at hcs.

[email protected] is his addy, Rick is his name, runs tams racing products.

Good guy to deal with. sells the oil for $26 per gallon. Best price of any syn 2 cycle oil that is egd rated, that I can find.

Last edited:
I wonder how Polaris VES Gold would work in a chainsaw. That stuff smells sooo good

I run that stuff at 32:1 just to get the smell!!!!!!!!!! Already run approx 5 gallons in my 026, after every gallon I yank the muffler just to look at piston skirt wear (my rude-n-crude experiment)....ZERO wear so far, and ZERO carbon buildup - can't say the same about Amsoil Interceptor!!! I've done similar experiments with Amsoil Dominator though, and it also showed ZERO wear....Klotz also had no wear, but my favorite still has to be Ipone just for the smell! Never ran it long enough in my chainsaw to check for wear, but tearing into race snowmobile engines and my motocross bikes where I've run Ipone showed similar wear results as the Klotz, Dominator and Polaris VES.........
I've also done the same experiments with Blendzall castor oil - to my surprise I did notice skirt wear, along with mega carbon buildup!
Another good oil that showed zero wear is Redline - VERY pricey though!

I run that stuff at 32:1 just to get the smell!!!!!!!!!! Already run approx 5 gallons in my 026, after every gallon I yank the muffler just to look at piston skirt wear (my rude-n-crude experiment)....ZERO wear so far, and ZERO carbon buildup - can't say the same about Amsoil Interceptor!!! I've done similar experiments with Amsoil Dominator though, and it also showed ZERO wear....Klotz also had no wear, but my favorite still has to be Ipone just for the smell! Never ran it long enough in my chainsaw to check for wear, but tearing into race snowmobile engines and my motocross bikes where I've run Ipone showed similar wear results as the Klotz, Dominator and Polaris VES.........
I've also done the same experiments with Blendzall castor oil - to my surprise I did notice skirt wear, along with mega carbon buildup!
Another good oil that showed zero wear is Redline - VERY pricey though!

Or you could just run Stihl Ultra and not have to check the engine for damage all the time. :buttkick:

not much difference from ultra to klotz,sabre,ves or redline.

Last edited:
I run Klotz R50 at 40:1. It has greater film strength than Techniplate. It protects nearly as well as Castor oil but is a fully synthetic racing quality oil.

Good stuff, just not alot of sled places stock it and you pull more from your saws than I do. I've seen your vids:)

Whats the going price for a single mix packet of sabre? I am hearing good things about it at 80:1 ratio in ice augers.

$1.40 for a 1.5oz packet
$2.25 for a 3.5 oz bottle
$4.05 for an 8 oz bottle
You will get more for your money with the bigger size bottles
I dont know yet if sabor is one of the items on the list to get a price drop April 1st

Last edited:
Back