Arborcutural Words That You Won't Find In The Dictionary...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A colleague and I were removing a willow in 20 knot winds a couple days ago. There must have been three to four feet of sway, but he kept at it. I commented on the size of his lenticels and he told me that if I didn't let the next load run he was going to come down and kick me in the stomata.

That reminds me of "1GUY 1 HORSE", DISTURBING!

1.Chuck and Duck chipper

2. false crotch

3. whoopie sling

just a few that i could think of

When I was in high school, a 'biner (beener) was a diet pill (aka amphetamine). Can you imagine a homeowner hearing the climber yell down for 5 more 'biners! "Wow, those guys work hard!"

We could prolly fill a dictionary with the words the bean town boys use... "Hey, Somebody bring me that Poyta wrap"... :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, everything up here is "wicked" this or "wicked" that. The one that took me a while to figure out was if something happened that was really funny, a Bostonian would say "That's a wicked pissa" as in (I think) a wicked pisser.

we say "throw a tree" instead of fell a tree

"draw knot" instead of truckers knot\

"let er eat" when we have to let the limb run instead of grab quickly

theres alot of cvrap we talk honestly

now there are alot of words that are "country" im sure that we use ON the job just talking to each other i wouldnt call them "arborculture" cause if you were raised in my town then you understand people rather easy and we arent exactly backwoods either culpeper VA but alot of city folk gimme weird looks when i get relaxed around them and get into the country slang "draw" cause i can take it out of my voice when i get around people im not to comfy with ....duno why

We always said "throw the pole" when we were dropping the spar.

Where I come from we call country talk "mountain jack" :)

When I was in high school, a 'biner (beener) was a diet pill (aka amphetamine). Can you imagine a homeowner hearing the climber yell down for 5 more 'biners! "Wow, those guys work hard!"

Here if you said that they would think you wanted 5 more day laborers.

Just the way the locals use that word. Culture is everything.

There are some really good Hispanic climbers around my neck of the woods. One off the best I know grew up in El Salvador.

Last edited:
now there are alot of words that are "country" im sure that we use ON the job just talking to each other i wouldnt call them "arborculture" cause if you were raised in my town then you understand people rather easy and we arent exactly backwoods either culpeper VA but alot of city folk gimme weird looks when i get relaxed around them and get into the country slang "draw" cause i can take it out of my voice when i get around people im not to comfy with ....duno why

C'Mon Freeweight, in Culpeper when you need tree work the biggest problem is figuring out which cousin to hire without offending the others. Of course the DC/Metro crowd gives you looks when you talk regular Virginia instead of yuppie import. No different than the crews out in the WV Panhandle coming in to the Metro area.

We've got one salesman whose two favorite descriptors, when describing a pruning job are "sticky-outers" and "hangy-downers". Leads him into such sentences as "That big one in the back has a big hangy-downer you need to take care of."

So... my dad's latest word is Puck.... For some reason he is calling a throw bag a puck. Now keep in mind that he was born in WV and has probably never seen a hockey game, let alone play it... I can't figure out how he keeps coming up with these words...

Latest posts

Back