Are all axes created equal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That video was pretty good. Notice he held the handle of the file in his left hand. Normally, you would move both hands together when draw filling. But when draw filling the file handle is held by the left hand. Why? Because the file teeth won't cut on the draw when the file handle is in the right hand. Single cut files have teeth that are cut into them in one direction only, so they can only remove metal in one direction. The push cut he demonstrates is the usual way to file but draw filing gives a finer edge, imo. If you try to file, with a single cut file, in a back and forth, sawing motion it will ruin the file in short order.
I thought the same thing too about the sawing motion of the file. Not sure how I knew, but I knew that was a bad idea. Something about going with the grain, not against it?
I found some things in the barn along with the ax, that need sharpening.
I've filed the pruning saw and the small clippers, working on the large clippers now. I discovered a makers mark, "Keen Kutters" on them, I'm going to go over them with a soapy brillo pad now to clean them up.
I'm saving the ax for last. :)
These are the "before" photos.
DSC01643.JPG DSC01644.JPG

Rust in a saw is bit of challenge, I have softened rust with diesel, few days submerged (don't submerge wooden parts), then over night with vinegar. Rust in saw makes it stuck quite easily, but of course when used enough rust will go away.

I like that axe head, hopefully it stays on handle, if not you might need to put new wedge to it, looks like you just need to do little sharpening on that one, 50 degrees (25 degrees angle for each side) could be all that it needs and that is quite to file.

Speaking of Keen Kutter brand, anyone know anything bout them? Just picked this one up at Goodwill store. It has some weight compared to an old Plumb double I have.
35ffb08fecc6d96a76e4f6d19481d89d.jpg
913ab51c5275c5f1b7176a57c37e0fab.jpg

In The Hills

Back