Are chains cheap? And why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all have different experiences I guess, but I have had best luck with Stihl chains and won’t hand file them more than a couple of times before machine sharpening them Or replacing with new. This costs more money, but I do disaster relief, mostly in the bucket. I don’t have time to fool around with anything other than a saw that is cutting at its best.

I'd be all over that 404 deal. I'd love to run 404 on my ms500i, if the cost was right. I agree about buying cheap when it is available. Hence the 24" Oregon 3/8 0.050 84DL that I am hoarding. Last time I saw this was a few years ago, with Husky chains. Three reconditioned chains at $16.xx. When they showed up they were brand new. I'd have bought more, but was as I am now, questioning how prices move for saw chains. The saws are holding their price, but are as rare as tits on a boar hog.

How will the economy change to favour your budget?
Prices never go down once they are accepted...would you work for 10 bucks an hour, because it would keep you working?
on-line prices raised? of course!
You have stock-piled 30 chains and are asking people all over the world, should I continue?
You answered your own dumb question, while satisfying your desire to use your keyboard, and yack with whoever......very few people on this forum lack common-sense, or are interested in a "chat" about your emotions......
Go back to hoarding chains with reckless abandon.....
"Go back to hoarding chains with reckless abandon....." Best quote of the day. Thanks Bruce.

Oregon is off brand to you? Okay...

My experiences with Stihl, Husky, Oregon chains are the same. All 3 perform well and I cannot tell the difference in holding an edge or longevity.
Somewhere your chain came off a much different roll than mine. The Oregon LGX I've run in the last few years is junk, as it doesn't have the hardness in the cutter to hold a good edge. To be clear I haven't ran any of there new chain (ejx or whatever it is) so I'm talking lgx. Husky X cut is right behind stihl in quality, but can be bought (for now) at pretty good prices in 100' rolls, most likely getting the price per loop below what you're paying for oregon. If I was to stockpile regardless of brand, it would be rolls, so you can cover multiple bars/ saws. Ymmv.

Some of my best deals on chain was buying chains from rental businesses, they put a new chain on every saw before it goes out, when it comes back that chain is removed and often discarded or sold off very cheap. I had a local shop save me a 5 gallon bucket full of .325 Stihl chains, I paid $2. a loop and figured that was a deal. They let me pick over the stack that was there and I only took the best ones that had not been damaged.

Actually, teats on a boar hog are not rare at all, and certainly not useless. They give an indication of how many teats his daughter will have. The more teats, the more they can nurse.
I was thinking that too. I studied Veterinary medicine for about a year. If a Male mammal didn't have tit's some of his offspring would inherit that gene and some sows would be born titless or with just a few. On a side note, just another strange thing or two. Female Possums have 13 tits and like a barn yard hen they have only one back door. Their babies come right out their gazoo then climb into their moms pouch. Roosters may be called Cocks but nope, they don't have one of those. Although Ducks do have what Roosters don't and some ducks even have bragging rights. Life is interesting.. Google virgin birth Comodo Dragon. Have fun.

Back