Are ported saws overrated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ported saws??? No way they are just a phase that will go away lol.

Serious note. yes I like em

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

i will say i never ran one till our GTG. i ran a mm'ed 026 and as compared to my found along the road 026 there was a considerable difference.but what do i know?,i'm just an old firewood hack. all the guys at the gtg that never ran a ported saw and did were impressed.

Ported saws are fun to run. I have one ported saw and I enjoy running it, and I have another saw that has a mm and I enjoy running it, but when I am just cutting wood for myself or others, the stock saws work just fine. The ported saws are definitely better when you are running them at a gtg.

The most important thing to remember is this.......just because your saw is ported does not mean it will be impressive with a dull chain, or out of tune.

One of my best customers was less than impressed with a saw I built for him........until I tuned it properly while he watched. Then in his words....."wow, what a difference a tune makes".

I have run stock saws for 25 years(50,550, 272,288, 372, 390 394, 395, 2100). I got my first "worked" saw from Simon last spring, and I have 20-25 tanks through it now. Here is my take on ported saws. They will run with a saw size up in a lighter handier saw. My 372 will cut with a stock 390, and in normal size wood even a 395. In the real big stuff a stock 395 I would say still cuts faster because it still has more torque and oils better than the 372. Trade off though is the 395 weighs a damn ton doing it!!

I wouldn't know heck i ran bone stock saws and they seem to cut wood ok but i like quite saws my self i guess im getting old :laugh:

Really? I can't get any of my stock chainsaws to cut right. No matter HOW hard hard I pull it back and forth. Do they cut on the push stroke or pull stroke? And what side of the blade do you drill a hole in to port it?

Latest posts

Back