Are Stihl saws as good as they were?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one thing i dont see touched upon in these arguments much is the actual structural strength of the saws being considered. ive ran both stihls and huskys in hard-use logging environments and can say with absolute certainty that husky builds a much stronger saw!! ever compare AV mounts between brands?! husky has the steel springs while all but the newest stihl designs are using rubber... i have yet to crack a tank handle on a husky but have ran several stihls with cracked handles. husky has their plastic recipe just right, its tough stuff!

i know most of you guys are just firewood cutters/saw addicts but when your making your living with a saw cuttin big timber on terrain too rough for anything but a skidder, u gotta think about these things. thats why i choose husky hands down.

and it cracks me up when i look at my dads ms362 and its got husky-style air filtration and AV mounts!! haha...

i dont care for husky saws i own one had nothing but problems and its only has 100 hours on it at most and been around logging 25+ years id take a stihl over a husky any day run stihl hushy echo any where from a 025 to a 046 mag stihl an afew 372xp huskys a 750k husky chop saw

can you remind us all what it is that mcculloch has had to offer in say..the last 20yrs.:msp_biggrin:

The McCulloch I knew has been out of business for longer than that. The stihls of that time were porky, under-powered yuppie saws. I only comment on saws that I have personally operated, the new stihls I have run, are similar to the old ones. Although that 066 was a good limbing saw.

The McCulloch I knew has been out of business for longer than that. The stihls of that time were porky, under-powered yuppie saws. I only comment on saws that I have personally operated, the new stihls I have run, are similar to the old ones. Although that 066 was a good limbing saw.
They still are underpowered, porky, and yuppie saws. they also are reliable, bulletproof, and have made me a pile of cash over the last 20 years. best of all they are still in business. now what about mcculloch, didn't they build go-carts for kids and boat anchors for the navy????

Well, the current line-up of Stihl models doesn't contain a single saw model that I would want to buy - believe it or not, but this isn't about any "brand bias", it just is the way it is at the moment.

They still are underpowered, porky, and yuppie saws. they also are reliable, bulletproof, and have made me a pile of cash over the last 20 years. best of all they are still in business. now what about mcculloch, didn't they build go-carts for kids and boat anchors for the navy????

yeah sure, whatever. Where was stihl when the bulk of the PNW old growth was felled. Oh yeah, copying Homelite designs.

Well a 461 is gonna beat an 048 in every way I would imagine. I do think that's a fair comparison.

A 044 will beat a 038 Mag in power and weight.

A 038 Mag will smoke a 041 super.

A 064 had the best power to weight ratio of most saws, however, the 460 weighed the same as the original 064's. But unless the bar was 32" or bigger the 460 was faster.

The only pre 1980 Stihl saw that is competitive with todays saws would be the 090. But wait, they still make the 090 so it's a vintage design but not really a vintage saw.

yeah sure, whatever. Where was stihl when the bulk of the PNW old growth was felled. Oh yeah, copying Homelite designs.
I think stihl did pretty good....imo. To this day a stihl 044 has put more board feet on the ground than any of your homelites have.

Keep livin in the past lol.

attachment.php
lot of timber cut pre 80.

Wait...where was husky? Stihl is the standard even in the PNW today...get over it.

Just show me facts that dispute it and I'lll believe u ;)

The fact of the matter....homelite is done and stihl, husky, and dolmar are still going.

Both stihl and Husky missed the big PNW OG show, you will just have to live with that.
I'm betting the big Pioneers cut far more OG than stihl and Husky put together.
Oh, I'm sure that monster 4.31 cubic inch 044 really put down the big timber.

Sure the new chainsaws dominate the market, no dispute there, but to say one particular model out cut the big Homelites is idiocy.

Back