Are Stihl saws as good as they were?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i thought it was mall that contributed design help to stihl post ww2. i have nothing against stihl or husky run them both. but the statement of an 044 which is a good little saw has not put near the amount of wood on the ground as the north American saws that preceded the modern stihls or husky's. and randy mac did not play with said dinosaurs the man worked them , so i think he has a leg or two too stand on. :wink2:

i thought it was mall that contributed design help to stihl post ww2. i have nothing against stihl or husky run them both. but the statement of an 044 which is a good little saw has not put near the amount of wood on the ground as the north American saws that preceded the modern stihls or husky's. and randy mac did not play with said dinosaurs the man worked them , so i think he has a leg or two too stand on. :wink2:
he used dinosaurs to skid out old growth? holy moses, he is old. trying to keep it light hearted, and not trying to discredit anyone here. i am sure that all the old american made saws put a ton of timber on the ground in the old days. but i am equally sure that 044 and 066 saws have dropped alot of timber in the last 25 or so years as well. that being said, if i needed a saw with a 36" plus bar, and i do not, i would much rather run a new ms661r m-tron vs. a 40 yr. old has been.

If your running a 36" plus ill take my 84 over the 660 or 661. The amount of board feet on the left coast trees is 10x the rest of the countries. How many 4' plus trees do you cut? Most mills wont take anything over 32" anymore.

There were/are Redwood groves that contain(ed) a million BF per acre. A typical area might have a third to half that amount. Washington and Orygun had vast areas of Douglas Fir, some places they grew so tight, you needed to step sideways to go between them.
I'm a piker, arriving almost too late, the opportunities were limited, the big stuff was all but gone or locked up in a park. I did get to sample old growth all over Northern California, from the big Pines, Cedars, various Firs, DFs and a few Redwoods. Oh and quite a few giant hardwoods.

There were/are Redwood groves that contain(ed) a million BF per acre. A typical area might have a third to half that amount. Washington and Orygun had vast areas of Douglas Fir, some places they grew so tight, you needed to step sideways to go between them.
I'm a piker, arriving almost too late, the opportunities were limited, the big stuff was all but gone or locked up in a park. I did get to sample old growth all over Northern California, from the big Pines, Cedars, various Firs, DFs and a few Redwoods. Oh and quite a few giant hardwoods.

Piker? Hardly. You were just born ten years too late.

In the old days, they were felling trees that you could build many homes from the wood from just one tree.

Someone must have been making money from these big trees but it sure doesn't seem like it was the crews felling 'em. So I gotta ask, was it the loggers, millers or wood merchants making the cream back then, or someone else, or nobody, and has it differed much over the years?

In the old days, they were felling trees that you could build many homes from the wood from just one tree.

Someone must have been making money from these big trees but it sure doesn't seem like it was the crews felling 'em. So I gotta ask, was it the loggers, millers or wood merchants making the cream back then, or someone else, or nobody, and has it differed much over the years?

Everybody got a piece of it, that is why money does grow on trees. It is a fickle business, it depended on many factors, I think the builders made the most.

For the type of work your doing I would go with an Echo 400. Good price easier on fuel and maintence and the Dealers will not screw you as much as the Stihl dealers do while its under warranty ( which basically with a Stihl means there is no warranty).

Everybody got a piece of it, that is why money does grow on trees. It is a fickle business, it depended on many factors, I think the builders made the most.

Oh sure blame the "filthy rich" carpenters!!! LOL!! As always the bulk of money goes to those that do the least......speculators and middle men who get the biggest slice of the pie.......not the first to touch the wood nor the the last to touch the wood.....it goes to those that never touched the wood.....LOL!!!

i thought it was mall that contributed design help to stihl post ww2.

The info I gathered at the Acres, Sutton, Trover conference in 2008 was that as the war ended Andeas was detained by US forces in a special camp.

During the war he had built many KS43's that were used to drop trees in front of allied forces to slow their progress.

Prior to WW2 Stihls were being sold on the west coast from Cal to BC. I believe Marshall Trover has a few of the Stihl two man sold here before WW2

After the war ended Mr Mall who also was a german had a part in getting Andeas released from internment and in return he helped Mall redesign the Mall 7.

If you look at the Mall 6 and then sit a Mall 7 next to a KS 43 you can see the similarities. Dont know about the internal changes but external is evident.

A never fired KS 43 courtesy Stihl NW Chehalis Wa. On loan from Stihl Germany.

snks43.jpg

BL
sn2.jpg

BLK
snblk.jpg

Lightning Contra
snlit22.jpg

For the type of work your doing I would go with an Echo 400. Good price easier on fuel and maintence and the Dealers will not screw you as much as the Stihl dealers do while its under warranty ( which basically with a Stihl means there is no warranty).
let us know how that "famous 5 year warranty" works out for you.

Like I said "what warranty" Dealers gonna give you every type of BS he can before he gives you a repair or new saw on the arm.
out side of the occasional defect from new, not too much warranty business going to go on with most good quality saws. if you intend on using/getting warranty because you do not know how to tune a saw, well you might want to consider electric, baattery, or a hand saw.

i found out the hard way bout a saw warrenty my echo the chain brake dont work it sticks on is a pain to release it the dealer sais echo will say that wear n tear

Kinda funny around my area you see alot of 044 and carcasses of 044 ; you go to the smaller logging towns around here and it's just about all Stihl's

Like I posted a while back (believe it was in September) I was at a saw shop and watched two pallets (dozen saw's or so on each pallet) of saw's heading to two different logging companies here and they were Stihl saw's (new models to last year)

You only see a select number of Husky saws at saw shops here and in the Northwest corner of the state of Washington one shop has only 5 models of Husky chain saws then you turn to the other corner of the show room and you see the whole line up of Stihl saw's

I know one firewood supplier that ran now called "Farm & Ranch Chain Saws" for twenty years of his business (270 to 310 Stihl's) with no motor problem's only one of his saw's is not around anymore because a tree barber chair and smashed the saw on its first day of use

Tree service that came out to take care of the neighbors Cedar trees that were damaged after last July storm had 5 MS 180 for limbing; I asked why those saw's owners of tree service answer there cost effective they last two years and he buys new ones his other saws are 036 and 460's they were out of Everett WA

Regarding Stihl's warranty, it's far from worthless, but as with any warranty, its enforceability is dependent on the person(s) between the manufacturer and the customer. Some dealers, having sold an MS180 and made relatively little profit, do not wish to see the saw again, and will frustrate the customer's attempts to have it serviced under warranty. These dealers clearly have plenty of business, and can afford to have some angry customers, I guess.

The guy I work for sells more Stihl than the other 4 dealers in the area combined. A few weeks ago, an older fella came in with a 180 that wasn't idling well, and was a bit slow on the trigger. We have found that the carbs on the 180s rarely respond well to cleaning or adjustment, so I popped on a replacement carb. Retail on that carb is about $30, labor to install about the same. The guy came to pick up the saw, admitted that it was three years old, but that he had bought it from us. Rob asked for the price of the carb, the guy was thrilled, and Rob ate the labor. I got paid, and that $30 or so in labor that went uncollected will buy us more goodwill than five times that amount spent on advertising. In the same vein, if a homeowner saw comes in and needs a carb during the warranty period, we do the repair and submit the claim to Stihl. Stihl seems to be aware that the carbs are less than perfect, and makes good.

My point in all of this is that the warranty experience has a great deal to do with the dealer and his representative from Stihl, and Stihl shouldn't be condemned for the policies of some of their dealers. There are good ones out there, for whom profit is essential, but not the only concern. Stihl, from where I'm standing, has been quite responsive, particularly in this age of disposable goods.
There are saws at the home center for $200, designed to work briefly and fail, for which there are no parts available under their meaningless warranties. Or there's the MS180, a perfectly decent little saw, built by a company that builds power equipment and nothing else, with a meaningful warranty and excellent parts availability, at your (hopefully good) Stihl dealer for the same money. Buy $12 worth of oil and get the warranty doubled.

We had a newish 660 last week, bought elsewhere, that was losing power in the cut. Pretty clear evidence of having been leaned on with a dull chain. Stihl bought the guy a top end and paid me to install it, because they don't want folks walking around talking about a 660 that doesn't cut well. I don't expect them to pay every warranty claim, particularly in cases where the equipment isn't at fault, but I respect a company that stands behind their product.

Also, they don't build vacuum cleaners.

You sure about that?

Vacuum Cleaners - StihlShop

I believe they're popular with builders and other tradies who make a mess

Yes they do build vacuum cleaners, also in their new catalog here in Europe (STIHL Catalogus 2013 p154)

I'm sure I'll have better help with my Stihl dealer than I would have with my Echo dealer (warranty or not). It all depends on the person in question imo.

Back