Ariens Splitter breakdown & repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CenterTree

Firewood hacker
Reaction score
Got a new 22 ton from my dealer a few weeks ago. Used it very little until Easter Sunday after the dinner guests left.

About an hour into a pile of logs the Ariens just stopped. Engine kept running, but hydraulic piston froze.

So I thought I would put up a simple thread here for anyone else who may have this issue in the future.

Here is what I found as the problem and the (thankfully) easy fix.

Directly under the engine is what is called a "love-joy coupling". It basically connects the engine shaft to the hydraulic pump system below it.

PROBLEM: The allen-screw that holds the bottom section of the coupling came loose and the section fell down... effectively disconnecting the engine from the pump.

FIX:
First remove the orange sheet metal cover.
DSCN8172.JPG

You will see the coupling inside.(below engine)
DSCN8174.JPG
DSCN8175.JPG

The white plastic "bushing" on mine was a little peeled and split from the spinning metal, but I will reuse it until a new one arrives from the dealer.

Simply lift the bottom section of the coupling up (I used a screw driver) and mesh it with the upper.
DSCN8176.JPG

You will notice the top section and the bottom section both have an allen screw. Tighten the bottom one. I applied lock-tite just to be sure.
You may have to gently pull the engine starting cord to bring the coupling around in order to access the screw.
It's a 1/8" allen.
DSCN8180.JPG

FYI: This is the 22ton unit, Others may be a little different.

That's it.:)

Back to splitting.:D

Love joy screw failures seem to happen to a lot of store bought splitters - a lot. thanks for the pics

Latest posts

Back