ATTENTION - ***Stickies - your thoughts please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
In case you didn't notice, Darin and the rest of the staff here have gone completely off their rocker and given me a set of Moderator keys. (Thanks guys, it's an honor...and a lot more like work than I imagined :D )

We added a "Stickies" section after getting some (justified) feedback that the stickies were taking up too much space. When this happened in the Chainsaw section a while ago, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth that people's favorite threads were now "hidden away in a dark corner". I think it's valid personally, and I'd rather have a couple of good stickies at the top of the page, than a dozen or more that (almost) all have some usefulness that are where an occasional visitor can't find them without looking around.

Since this section is where I call "home" at AS, I've volunteered to do a bunch of spring cleaning to get the stickies down to a manageable (hoping for 4, 6 tops) level that we can leave at the top of the page. It'll take hours or more of my time, but it'd be worth it in my eyes. But, I don't want to fix a problem that no one else sees.

So - I want your opinions:

How do you like the current system? The previous one?

Which of the sticky threads do you use, and how often?

How many stickies at the top of the screen is too many?

Any and all other constructive thoughts, ideas, etc. you might have.

Thanks,

Steve

PS - I know some of you aren't all that happy about some of the hooligans trolling through here lately. They're like a lot of us, having a little cabin fever and goofing off. If it bothers you that they're poking fun of us, I suggest trying to lighten up a little bit, or not reading their posts. There's an ignore button you can use, it's not 100% effective, but it helps. They'll tire of picking on us firewooders and probably wander off to the logging section, only to have RandyMac squish em with an old growth log or something like that.

If a post SERIOUSLY offends you, click the "Report Post" button. It's the little triangle with a ! in it at the bottom left of each post. That guarantees we'll take a look at it, but it doesn't mean we will do anything unless the post violates the rules in some way. A forum that's "just the facts" and without some humor won't last long at all.

Congrats!!

Now I gotta ask what ya did to deserve such punishment?:hmm3grin2orange:

IMO.
More than half a dozen stickys is like excessive signage.
People ignore it all, after so many.

I must have missed the hooligans.

Forum war brewing?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

No Way! A CheeseHead Moderator... say it ain't true.

You've got more fortitude than me Steve.... I wouldn't want that job for pay.

As far as the "Stickies", why not just move the ones that have gone inactive for a certain length of time into archive... say, 7 days without a new post.

A CheeseHead Moderator?!?! What have we become?
I suppose now using the words "Vikings", "Bears" and "Lions" will get you sent to Banned Camp? :D

As far as the "Stickies", why not just move the ones that have gone inactive for a certain length of time into archive... say, 7 days without a new post.

i actually think thats a great idea. set it up so its automatic. when a sticky gets a new post its shown just under the sticky folder on the normal forum board and when it sits idle (7 days seems good) have it flip back into hiding in the sticky folder. kinda like a shortcut or the recent history on your web browser

I don't post in here much.
I do, however, visit and scroll daily. Check the logs.
I scroll through the pages of new postings in this section (as it's really the only one that I look at regularly) looking for something that catches my eye and, potentially, click to read it.
With the stickies moved, the likelyhood of my seeing them and new postings is drastically reduced. Heck, I just noticed the sub-directory above because of this thread.

In addition, with the stickies moved, the potential for duplicate topics to be created is increased as users will not see the sticky. Then, when the posting is moved to the sticky, they REALLY won't see where it went. Was it deleted? will be the answer in the mind of the user.

I would not know what the solution is. Automatic de-activation of a sticky is a potential answer. 6 months? Threads that are posted to stay at the top. So, unless it answers a common/repeated question, it should be de-activated and/or never activated at all...... maybe that's the solution. Increase the tolerance to create a sticky to "must answer a common question that we can't seem to get people to search for". Instead of just all popular threads, since popular threads stay on top all on their own.

I like the idea! I felt it was a pain to have to scroll through the stickies. Now, I can quickly see the threads... I know where the stickies are, and I'll access them when I want to.

Way to go!

In case you didn't notice, Darin and the rest of the staff here have gone completely off their rocker and given me a set of Moderator keys. (Thanks guys, it's an honor...and a lot more like work than I imagined :D )

We added a "Stickies" section after getting some (justified) feedback that the stickies were taking up too much space.

Thanks,

Steve

y. A forum that's "just the facts" and without some humor won't last long at all.

Good job Steve. With a avatar with a set of jugs like that, you'll go far. Just don't let it go to your head.

I like the new sticky configuration. Keep it high and tight. as long as new users know what a wealth of information is contained there, I can't see why any one would complain compared to having it the old way. There is alot of little tweaks a user can make in his settings from the user control panel that make the site more tailored to what you want. Look around, check out and ask questions on the technical forum. I'm for a streamlined experience. Thanks, Steve.

this may be way more complicated to do than it sounds, (sounds real easy to me who is a limited computer person who doesn't actually know how much work it would be) but is there a way to have a personal settings for stickies display? Go into that setting and click on only the 3 or 4 that I personally want to see staying open on top of my screen and have the rest hidden?
Show any new stickies for a week or two or until I turn them off.
It is nice to have a certain couple and see if there are new posts.

Even better would be a personal settings where I could set the maybe 5 favorite forums or topics that I often read. Sort of a favorites list on one screen.

but I do agree the list was getting too long. And I do appreciate the work involved in mod positions. You can't be doing it just for the money and fame and adoration.

Last edited:
I'm another vote for liking the sub forum for the stickies! Most of us that get on here are looking for fresh topics to look at anyhow. I think anyone newer will find the stickies eventually. Congrats on your knighthood into moderatorship Steve. Always enjoy your posts so I hope it doesn't cut into your posting time!

I like it the way it is now. Maybe you could add 5 or 6 that have had recent posts or with the highest recent "traffic"
Also, a better explanation as to what the stickie file is, or "Questions? start here."

Oh, and I don't mind the trolls in our wood pile here lately, some days it's been the most interesting thread on here. Don't like 'em, don't read 'em!

Last edited:
Well done, several of the other forums (like the Chainsaw forum) did this awhile ago. Makes it much more convenient to stop in daily and see what topics are gathering comments.

Thanks,

Possible Hooligan, Not sure

I kinda like it the way it is now but I can see the argument that they'll be forgotten.
If you do by chance put the stickies back up I would get it down to 2-4. Leave the info ones and throw the rest back in the pond to swim with the rest of the fish.

By info ones I mean, BTU reference/ Tree ID reference , etc.

Whatever you decide to do though I'll be happy with. If I get to unhappy though I'll just demand my money back!:D

Another one bites the dust... congrats I think. I moderate a forum too so I know the feeling of being able to leap tall buildings and delete a spammers post.

We added a "Stickies" section after getting some (justified) feedback that the stickies were taking up too much space. When this happened in the Chainsaw section a while ago, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth that people's favorite threads were now "hidden away in a dark corner". I think it's valid personally, and I'd rather have a couple of good stickies at the top of the page, than a dozen or more that (almost) all have some usefulness that are where an occasional visitor can't find them without looking around.

Since this section is where I call "home" at AS, I've volunteered to do a bunch of spring cleaning to get the stickies down to a manageable (hoping for 4, 6 tops) level that we can leave at the top of the page. It'll take hours or more of my time, but it'd be worth it in my eyes. But, I don't want to fix a problem that no one else sees.

I like the sub much better than having the stickies at the top of every page.
Having to wade through that many stickies each page you look at was somewhat
a PIA.
Not often but like Einstein said knowing where to look up something when you need the information is the key. or something like that.
A limit to the vertical size of a signature would be nice.
Thanks,

Steve

My 2 cents would be either shrink the sticky, like 3 in a line, so they can be seen but not in the way. Or make it that a new person see's and gets an explanation of them before they are aloud to do there 1st post. oh And how about auto spell check, like the phones or an e-mail. Hate it when I sound as dumb as I am.

How about just a label for the stickies question?

Stickies, many questions already answered CLICK HERE

Thanks for the replies so far! Keep em coming, I'm off to work (OT sucks, but the money is good), and I'll try to address all your questions tonight.

Some are above my pay grade/competence level though!

PS- Spidey, the V, B, and L words won't get ya banned as long as they're immediately followed by the word "suck" :D

i actually think thats a great idea. set it up so its automatic. when a sticky gets a new post its shown just under the sticky folder on the normal forum board and when it sits idle (7 days seems good) have it flip back into hiding in the sticky folder. kinda like a shortcut or the recent history on your web browser

this makes the most sense to me, "make it so number one":rock:

:agree2:

Latest posts

Back