ATTENTION - ***Stickies - your thoughts please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies! I'm not gonna reply to each one, but the consensus is that the "stickies" subforum can stay, needs to be tidied up a bit to be more useful, and could use a better label. I'm gonna get to work on that in a bit.

Back in a minute to hit a few of the questions.

Even better would be a personal settings where I could set the maybe 5 favorite forums or topics that I often read. Sort of a favorites list on one screen.

The best way I know of to do this is to subscribe to threads you are interested in, either by replying or by using the "thread tools" button in the bar below the ads. Then, when you log in, just click "Settings" up on the top right of the page and it will show you all the threads you're subscribed to that have activity since you last logged in. I have this page bookmarked, so it's the first page I come to on AS. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

PS - If you hate all the notification emails, you can turn them off in your control panel. You'll still get notifications for older threads you reply to, but new ones will not clutter your inbox. Older ones can be turned off individually, but I forget how at the moment.

My 2 cents would be either shrink the sticky, like 3 in a line, so they can be seen but not in the way. Or make it that a new person see's and gets an explanation of them before they are aloud to do there 1st post. oh And how about auto spell check, like the phones or an e-mail. Hate it when I sound as dumb as I am.

Dan, it's been mentioned already, but spell check is built into some of the "other" non - IE browsers. Chrome was mentioned, I use Firefox myself. Generally it works very well, and doesn't seem to have all the issues I used to deal with when I had Internet Explorer as my browser. I'd recommend downloading one of the two and trying it. You can always uninstall it if you don't like it.

Trust me, I spell pretty well, but I type poorly. Spell check keeps my fingers in line!

Being familiar with the site I like the new stickies sub category because I know what they are and what kind of info is established there. A new user/guest/ may be confused as to what is meant by "stickie" . How and who determines a thread becoming a "stickie" just curious how that all works.
Bub

It used to be that only a moderator could Sticky a thread, when the points system was added, one of the things it allows you to spend your hard earned points on is making a thread a Sticky. That can be good or bad, but overall it adds to the clutter we're dealing with right now.

Besides explaining to new members about stickies, it'd be even more to the point to explain about searching.

If all else fails, using google to search "search_string" site:www.arboristsite.com

All about not reinventing the wheel.

Yank, I hear ya. I resort to Google sometimes myself - just type in XXXXXXXXXX site:arboristsite.com and it will show results for XXXXXXXX that are on AS.

I wish our search feature was more reliable, but I haven't a clue how to fix that.

Besides, there are days, weeks, maybe months that go by when no one asks a "new" question. How boring would that be? :D

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, I like them being in the sub forum as it makes things cleaner/easier, but would suggest a more descriptive description of what's in the sticky sub forum.

Most all the stickies are info based so something like, "Don't forget to check the stickies before posting Questions on, what is a Cord, what wood weighs what, can I burn old carpet in my air tight stove, ect." I'm sure there is a better sorter way to say...

Oh and the "Post pics or your wood pile/splitting area" probably could come out of the sub forum as it is a good thread and seems to get used regularly.

My 2¢...

And congrats!

The woodpile pics and maybe a few others will be sent back to the main forum unstickied. You're right, they do a good job of fending for themselves and are usually on page 1 or close to it. There are threads on Chainsaw (pick a fight, OKARMOKTX GTG come to mind) that aren't stickied, but stay near the top by participation on a section that sees even more use than this one.

Instead of calling the sub-forum stickies, call it "new user information." In addition to the informative stickies, any really informative threads could be moved there. Problem with a lot of stickies is too many conversations happen, and the information value declines quickly. If the goal is informing the new user, even the sticky threads need to be cleaned up to be really useful.

Yup, lots of clutter to clear up. I don't want to delete a bunch of posts and have people mad that their post count went down though, maybe I'll move them to the Telephone Pole thread :D

The good thing that comes about when new users log right in and ask questions like, "what is the best 50cc saw," or "do I need a pro saw," "What kind of chaps do I need".... well when they do that instead of search for a existing thread it is good since other newbies can help a guy out. You aren't limited by a thread from 2009 or even last week and guys can practice what they have been learning here. And Saw Troll can hook them up with a 346 XP. Every body happy. No body bored.

Steve,
This sounds like one of those town elected positions where you work your butt off for about a nickel an hour! If you are willing, and able, good for you. I enjoy your posts, and I think you'll do a great job.:rock:

'bout 5 cents an hour more than I'm getting!

Now about the stickies. I admit I am a newbie, and only today, sort of figured out what they are, and intend to accomplish. I like 'em! Now I feel like an idiot for asking what I could have found on my own. Live & learn. My opinion on them, keep them simple and "newbie" friendly.

Still trying to figure out the rep points & credits...May never happen because I am a bonehead. Still hoping I can trade for a hat!!

Now, on my above quoted text. I may be considered one of those hooligans. I hope not, but that is for you all to decide. I am a wanna-be comedian! Sorry but I am. I like to make people laugh. If I EVER offend anyone in here, please let me know. I don't get political, I never put anyone down (except the guy limbing on the ground one handed!), never thought I was poking fun at anyone, and If I can try to help someone I will.

As you all can see by the number of posts I have made in my short time in here, I REALLY enjoy this site. I have learned a TON, and have also had a lot of laughs. Many at my own expense!

But enough of my whining already! I should hop off the waaambulance, have another mocha latte and finish my raspberry vinaigrette salad!:jester:

Keep up the good work, raise up that stove, fix the rusty fenders & party on! Oh yeah, almost forgot...:givebeer: (couldn't resist!!)

I'm gonna EVENTUALLY try an "Arboristsite for Dummies" thread, give anyone that takes the time to read it a good idea how everything works and what all the shiny buttons do. Gonna be a while though, don't hold yer breath.

What's wrong with the fenders? Do they need more character? Gotta plow snow tomorrow, that might add some...

Remember people, the moderators have control over content, structure, and so forth. But they aren't programmers. They can't add features that aren't already in the forum software they are using.

Thanks! I'm barely capable of using what's here, Lord knows you don't want me trying to design new computer stuff - even if I had that power.

I like the idea of having the reference material in one place either as a stickie or a "Reference" button at the top somewhere: cords per log, what is a cord, btu charts, log weights, etc. Some of the most popular stickies, like Craiglist laughs and show your wood pile, get enough posts that they would probably stay near the top of the postings list even without being stickies.

" There's an ignore button you can use, it's not 100% effective, but it helps. "
Steve, where is this ignore button? not there there is anyone i want to ignore, I just don't remember seeing it.

When a user puts you over the edge, click on their user name, and on the left side of the page will be "Add user to your ignore list". It works OK, but if someone else quotes what the ignored person says, you'll still see it.

I'd like to suggest a sticky Steve

How about having one in how to burn telephone poles:D:D

I'm runnin a little short in credits:)

I could clean ya clear out of credits, and rep too. Want me to show ya?

Can someone make this a sticky so it will dissapear. Does anyone know where I can get some telephone poles. And what kind of oil shoild I use?

Careful - I haven't banned anyone other than spammers in most of a week now. My hammer swingin hand is starting to twitch...

Sometimes the hardest part of being a mod is NOT doing what you desperately want to do :D

Whew - time for a beer break and let my fingers cool down.

That and go pay for the new pair of "extra" chaps I just got on eBay!

Thanks, Steve and congrats. I'd rep ya but I've got to spread it around first.

I've served forum staff duty on and off since the old BBS days and can agree that it's a thankless job. There's a lot of damage control involved. Currently I'm in admin duty at one vB site, ODJT.com. That's enough, lol. :D

One site I worked with, we used to let stickies accumulate at the top until nobody had posted in them for 6 months. After that they went to a sub forum, created just for that purpose. Members could still post in 'em and they'd reappear at the top of the Stickies on the main page. The sub forum was open to Google spiders and could be found through searches.

The members were gripin' about years-old stickies cluttering up the place so we dealt with that. Hope it helps. :)

I didn't really mind having the stickys at the top, but I thought that there should be a good reason for having them there. Most of them were rather pointless, but I do think the most popular and useful ones should remain. Now there's just another button to click. Do you have any idea how much extra energy and time that takes?!?:msp_sneaky:

Latest posts

Back