ATTENTION - ***Stickies - your thoughts please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being familiar with the site I like the new stickies sub category because I know what they are and what kind of info is established there. A new user/guest/ may be confused as to what is meant by "stickie" . How and who determines a thread becoming a "stickie" just curious how that all works.
Bub

Glad to see the stickies shortened into the sub forum as others have stated. I check for new/updated threads almost daily, but scrolled past all stickies in a hurry. Best of luck in the new Mod position, Steve. I look forward to your positive influence and reasonable attitude making the firewood/heating room a better place to be.

Steve, you're a good man for the job..
Keep up the great work here..

Besides explaining to new members about stickies, it'd be even more to the point to explain about searching.

If all else fails, using google to search "search_string" site:www.arboristsite.com

All about not reinventing the wheel.

Being familiar with the site I like the new stickies sub category because I know what they are and what kind of info is established there. A new user/guest/ may be confused as to what is meant by "stickie" . How and who determines a thread becoming a "stickie" just curious how that all works.
Bub

stickies are bought with them credits on the left side of your post under your name. 1000 credits buys you a sticky.

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, I like them being in the sub forum as it makes things cleaner/easier, but would suggest a more descriptive description of what's in the sticky sub forum.

Most all the stickies are info based so something like, "Don't forget to check the stickies before posting Questions on, what is a Cord, what wood weighs what, can I burn old carpet in my air tight stove, ect." I'm sure there is a better sorter way to say...

Oh and the "Post pics or your wood pile/splitting area" probably could come out of the sub forum as it is a good thread and seems to get used regularly.

My 2¢...

And congrats!

A couple things to consider. Some of the threads need to come back here. Woodpile Pics, Craigslist, Free Firewood, and probably a FEW others. They get a lot of traffic. A lot of the other Stickie topics probably get a lot more "reads" than posts and could probably stay put.

One thing I've noticed is we don't always do a good job of pointing out to the newbs what and where the Stickies are and what they contain.
Newb: "This is my first post and I'm wondering about 'whatever'".
Responce: "Go look in the Stickies".
And the newb is silently going " what the %#*@ is a stickie?" before signing off and going elsewhere. FAIL.

The opposite action is we have 4 "my stove won't get hot" threads running at the same time, and 28 oldtimers are responding to all of them. How about we point out a few recent threads on the same subject, or show the newb how to find them using the search function. "Go do a search for 'stove'" doesn't help anyone.

You know how I feel as I posted the initial post questioning the number of "stickys" at the top of the board. If I had to pick the best two it would be, Craigs List and Show Your Woodpile. In any event I have a bad feeling that MY sticky is not going to make the final cut if it come to whittling down the present list. (I'm good with that)

Instead of calling the sub-forum stickies, call it "new user information." In addition to the informative stickies, any really informative threads could be moved there. Problem with a lot of stickies is too many conversations happen, and the information value declines quickly. If the goal is informing the new user, even the sticky threads need to be cleaned up to be really useful.

PS - I know some of you aren't all that happy about some of the hooligans trolling through here lately. They're like a lot of us, having a little cabin fever and goofing off. If it bothers you that they're poking fun of us, I suggest trying to lighten up a little bit, or not reading their posts. There's an ignore button you can use, it's not 100% effective, but it helps. They'll tire of picking on us firewooders and probably wander off to the logging section, only to have RandyMac squish em with an old growth log or something like that.

If a post SERIOUSLY offends you, click the "Report Post" button. It's the little triangle with a ! in it at the bottom left of each post. That guarantees we'll take a look at it, but it doesn't mean we will do anything unless the post violates the rules in some way. A forum that's "just the facts" and without some humor won't last long at all.

Steve,
This sounds like one of those town elected positions where you work your butt off for about a nickel an hour! If you are willing, and able, good for you. I enjoy your posts, and I think you'll do a great job.:rock:

Now about the stickies. I admit I am a newbie, and only today, sort of figured out what they are, and intend to accomplish. I like 'em! Now I feel like an idiot for asking what I could have found on my own. Live & learn. My opinion on them, keep them simple and "newbie" friendly.

Still trying to figure out the rep points & credits...May never happen because I am a bonehead. Still hoping I can trade for a hat!!

Now, on my above quoted text. I may be considered one of those hooligans. I hope not, but that is for you all to decide. I am a wanna-be comedian! Sorry but I am. I like to make people laugh. If I EVER offend anyone in here, please let me know. I don't get political, I never put anyone down (except the guy limbing on the ground one handed!), never thought I was poking fun at anyone, and If I can try to help someone I will.

As you all can see by the number of posts I have made in my short time in here, I REALLY enjoy this site. I have learned a TON, and have also had a lot of laughs. Many at my own expense!

But enough of my whining already! I should hop off the waaambulance, have another mocha latte and finish my raspberry vinaigrette salad!:jester:

Keep up the good work, raise up that stove, fix the rusty fenders & party on! Oh yeah, almost forgot...:givebeer: (couldn't resist!!)

I like the Sub forum, but I will say it took me awhile to find it when I first joined, some sort of newbie guidance would probably be usefull. I also liked the Chainsaw Stickies better the way they were set up before, 3 or 4 of the most used at the top of the main page shouldn't be to much to scroll through for those that aren't looking at them. Especially the swap meet thread in the Chainsaw forum, I liked it the way it was before. Good luck with your new hammer Steve, I'll try to stear clear of it :msp_biggrin:

BTW Beerbelly, How did you end up with so many credits :confused: I must be missing something, or maybe it was all those camping trips :laugh:

I like the Sub forum, but I will say it took me awhile to find it when I first joined, some sort of newbie guidance would probably be usefull. I also liked the Chainsaw Stickies better the way they were set up before, 3 or 4 of the most used at the top of the main page shouldn't be to much to scroll through for those that aren't looking at them. Especially the swap meet thread in the Chainsaw forum, I liked it the way it was before. Good luck with your new hammer Steve, I'll try to stear clear of it :msp_biggrin:

BTW Beerbelly, How did you end up with so many credits :confused: I must be missing something, or maybe it was all those camping trips :laugh:

beer!:laugh:

Remember people, the moderators have control over content, structure, and so forth. But they aren't programmers. They can't add features that aren't already in the forum software they are using.

I like the idea of having the reference material in one place either as a stickie or a "Reference" button at the top somewhere: cords per log, what is a cord, btu charts, log weights, etc. Some of the most popular stickies, like Craiglist laughs and show your wood pile, get enough posts that they would probably stay near the top of the postings list even without being stickies.

" There's an ignore button you can use, it's not 100% effective, but it helps. "
Steve, where is this ignore button? not there there is anyone i want to ignore, I just don't remember seeing it.

I like the idea of having the reference material in one place either as a stickie or a "Reference" button at the top somewhere: cords per log, what is a cord, btu charts, log weights, etc. Some of the most popular stickies, like Craiglist laughs and show your wood pile, get enough posts that they would probably stay near the top of the postings list even without being stickies.

" There's an ignore button you can use, it's not 100% effective, but it helps. "
Steve, where is this ignore button? not there there is anyone i want to ignore, I just don't remember seeing it.

Maybe someone can compile the ultimate sticky, with links to good threads and external references, without the chatter that otherwise clutters good info.

I'd like to suggest a sticky Steve

How about having one in how to burn telephone poles:D:D

I'm runnin a little short in credits:)

How did you get all them points beer belly? You been on all fours? I only ask because of your avatar of course. If there is to be a sticky it should be hoe everything works, rep points, credits, avatar, cool toys at the bottom of page, so on and so fourth.

Can someone make this a sticky so it will dissapear. Does anyone know where I can get some telephone poles. And what kind of oil shoild I use?

Latest posts

Back