ATV skidding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Beavers dropped a few Poplars near my atv trail.. destroyed my bridge across the stream. So I took one of the tree,, more work then it was worth really, I can burn it in the shed I guess..

imgp4760sm.jpg

imgp4764sm.jpg

imgp4774sm.jpg

imgp4776sm.jpg

imgp4789sm.jpg

I'll probably head back and get the maples that will no doubt drown once in the next few years once the pond fills up.

damm beavers

man i have got to get some of those trained beavers....how many cord an hour can they drop? it could save a lot of wear on my saws.
for that matter a few wood chucks wouldn't hurt either...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

nice pics too.

Nice Pictures!! It wasn't that long ago and I would have passed up a tree like that for some good old oak. Now that I'm older and much wiser, I'd be making friends with them beavers. If it makes free heat and I get free hot water for my labor, that tree would be in my pile. Makes for good spring and early fall wood.

Ah it gave ya something to do right :D Cool pics, least you still had some snow to skid on, it does make it easier! :clap: And a Bud :msp_thumbup:

Looks like a nice place to cut some wood. I like the front and rear winch mount. Do believe I have been inspire to do the same to my 400i...:)

I love having a winch on the rear, it comes in handy.
I've got them setup up to run of the same handlebar switch. I just used a large marine battery switch to select from from or rear. I think I have a picture of it somewhere.

Similar to were I am cutting but a lack of snow this year and lots of overflow have the woods flooded with ice up to five feet. I think it's gonna be a long breakup here. Tire chains make a big difference in those conditions. Here without them I would just slide around bouncing off trees.

Nice pics TJ. Been looking at 4 Xs for the bush. What's the displacement of your wheeler? Any problems handeling those logs?

It's only a 400 but it gets the job done. Thoes were the biggest I've hauled yet, a log arch would be nice but some of mt trails are very bumpy (old skidder ruts) and I think dragging them out is the only way.

If your looking for a bike I`d say get the biggest one you can get. I`m getting some more aggressive tires here soon but more power would always be nice.

Winch on the rear is great too.

imgp4763.jpg

imgp4787.jpg

imgp4767h.jpg

Nice setup. Looks like our woodlots here this Spring.
The ATV is just right for getting into tight or steep places. The Foreman will skid only a smaller tree like your Poplar without the log arch. The only problem is snow depth: we bottom out with snow over a couple of feet and wet underneath. Chains on the rear help, but the Honda has only 8"-9" clearance.
How do you deal with that ?

Forgot: beaver tails make some good eating.

Last edited:
Nice setup. Looks like our woodlots here this Spring.
The ATV is just right for getting into tight or steep places. The Foreman will skid only a smaller tree like your Poplar without the log arch. The only problem is snow depth: we bottom out with snow over a couple of feet and wet underneath. Chains on the rear help, but the Honda has only 8"-9" clearance.
How do you deal with that ?

Forgot: beaver tails make some good eating.

I actually run my ATV all winter on trails, the local ATV club grooms trails near by and I've built myself a small drag for doing my own trails. This time of year when the snow is melting my trails are still hard as ice. I'm not sure if this would be possible in the dead of winter unless the trees were close to the main trail.

imgp4543.jpg

imgp4540.jpg

Back