Authorized Dealer Signage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just an interesting thing I have noticed. In this day and age of needing written permission for everything and copyright/likeness lawsuits running rampant, here's one that seems to go unnoticed. Just curious if it is like this elsewhere too?

Every little mom and pop small engine repair shop in my area seems to have at least one "XZY Authorized Dealer" sign on their front wall. Walked into one recently that had a big Jonsered sign and smaller Husky and Stihl signs. The building including the shop and showroom was probably about 600 sf total so I am thinking boy there must be a lot of stuff crammed into the showroom.

Me: "Hi, I was just driving through your area and saw the signs so I figured I would stop by and see what saws you had available."

Lady: Oh, we aren't a dealer for anything. We don't actually have any saws for sale right now. JimJoeBob has a few saws out back but he needs to fix them before he puts them for sale."

Went into a different place with Mac signage on every side of their building.

Me: "What do you have for Macs?"

Guy: "We haven't been a Mac dealer for years! But we do have this... (about a 20 YO 40cc class NOS saw with a fairly steep price).

One of these days I will find a "you suck" score LOL

Just an interesting thing I have noticed. In this day and age of needing written permission for everything and copyright/likeness lawsuits running rampant, here's one that seems to go unnoticed. Just curious if it is like this elsewhere too?

Every little mom and pop small engine repair shop in my area seems to have at least one "XZY Authorized Dealer" sign on their front wall. Walked into one recently that had a big Jonsered sign and smaller Husky and Stihl signs. The building including the shop and showroom was probably about 600 sf total so I am thinking boy there must be a lot of stuff crammed into the showroom.

Me: "Hi, I was just driving through your area and saw the signs so I figured I would stop by and see what saws you had available."

Lady: Oh, we aren't a dealer for anything. We don't actually have any saws for sale right now. JimJoeBob has a few saws out back but he needs to fix them before he puts them for sale."

Went into a different place with Mac signage on every side of their building.

Me: "What do you have for Macs?"

Guy: "We haven't been a Mac dealer for years! But we do have this... (about a 20 YO 40cc class NOS saw with a fairly steep price).

One of these days I will find a "you suck" score LOL

Well, keep looking, you might! Doesn't hurt asking, never.

Vintage signs are everywhere these days. Around here when small places get eaten up by bigger places they usually sell everything including the signs. I have seen some pretty expensive signs sold before. Companies don't seem to care and I'm pretty sure the dealers paid for the signs in the 1st place anyway.

I think it would be cool to have one in a garage or man cave. I am just surprised that in this sue-happy environment that it doesn't bother the attorney types working in the legal department of these places. OTOH if a mom and pop restaurant advertise "Taco Tuesday" with a sign in their window, a certain Mexican restaurant chain will be buried up their derriere in no time......

Latest posts

Back