Av gas setup questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHDiesel73L

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is a small airport 15 minutes from me that has a 24hr accessible 100LL fuel pump so I'm thinking of running it in my saws. Plus now its only about $3.75 a gallon around here. My current stable of saws is as follows:

-Stihl 025 - Muffler Mod - 14" bar
-Stihl 026 - Muffler Mod - 18" bar
-McCulloch PM650 - 24" bar/full skip chain

I'm considering buying a fuel caddy (holds about 14 gallons) so that I don't have to fill up that often, but the question is do I just keep straight av gas in the caddy and dispense it into smaller cans for mixing or do I throw in mix oil (50:1) and call it a day? I've read that av gas stays good almost indefinitely if properly stored, but would mixed av gas degrade over time? Also, what carb adjustments should I make if any on any of the saws?

I use it exclusively in all my small equipment. I mix up 2.5 gallons at a time and leave the rest for 4 stroke mowers and all. It stores incredibly well. I’ve seen it sit 2 years plus and it’s fine.

I know the debates around it and it does contain lead so you need to be mindful of that.

Mixed it has stored for me > 2 years in a sealed metal can in cool conditions. 100LL is made to store much longer straight up.
It has lead be wary. Not on hands/parts cleaner/vapors.

My saws run a little rich, or some do on 100LL. Keep a mix log with carb settings and fuel. I only use one mix-oil .

i just dont get the av gas thing. you wanna pay more for lead exposure and a fuel that will make less power in your chainsaw than 87 pump gas? i dont get it.

There have been plenty of pissing matches here over the years and I don't really care to start another one but in my estimation it makes sense. At least in my location it's the cheapest and easiest option for ethanol free fuel and the long shelf life is also attractive. With regard to lack of power that seems to be a retuning issue. Finally the lead-obviously you don't want to wash your hands with the stuff and as far as the exhaust it's not as if you run chainsaws inside.

There have been plenty of pissing matches here over the years and I don't really care to start another one but in my estimation it makes sense. At least in my location it's the cheapest and easiest option for ethanol free fuel and the long shelf life is also attractive. With regard to lack of power that seems to be a retuning issue. Finally the lead-obviously you don't want to wash your hands with the stuff and as far as the exhaust it's not as if you run chainsaws inside.
to each, their own, certainly. i guess i just go through fuel quick enough that it never has a chance to go stale on me. any lead exposure is not good in my book, and theres a reason the stuff is not widely available, but its a free country, run what ya brung!

Where I live there are alot of options for ethanol free. I really feel sorry for people that have to go through a ton of effort just make sure their equipment works right.

any lead exposure is not good in my book

Most of us are exposed to lead in our everyday environments far more than we realize. If I made a living running a chainsaw day in and day out I might worry about exposure, but I'm just a weekend firewood warrior. I've probably ingested more lead via errant buckshot pellets in venison I've eaten over the years than I would ever inhale running a saw on av gas.

Where I live there are alot of options for ethanol free. I really feel sorry for people that have to go through a ton of effort just make sure their equipment works right.

Around here it's either buy pre-mix at about $24 a gallon or av gas. Years ago I used to buy Ultra 94 which was ethanol free at a Sunoco but it has long since closed.

Mixed it has stored for me > 2 years in a sealed metal can in cool conditions. 100LL is made to store much longer straight up.
It has lead be wary. Not on hands/parts cleaner/vapors.

My saws run a little rich, or some do on 100LL. Keep a mix log with carb settings and fuel. I only use one mix-oil .
100LL is oxygenated. Is should make them run lean without retuning

100LL is oxygenated. Is should make them run lean without retuning
So explain "oxygenated"? Do you mean alcohols, ethers, and/or esters? They are not in AV gas.

AV gas is strictly regulated and those regs have not changed for 100LL in a long time.

I have my saws running 100LL, and have a tune log. If I can get/or use non-corn pump gas I have a log for that. Most every saw requires the screws turned in with AV gas.

I do use non-corn when milling as there is lead in 100LL and I go through a LOT of fuel.

I started using AV gas in equipment before E-10, back when they started using methyl t-butyl ether in gasoline. (Besides groundwater pollution , there are other issues with MTBE in fuels.)

Before that I ran it in one of my cars, when you could still drive up, and filler up at the airport.

Thanks for the link-never saw that before. I don't know how complete it is, but it does confirm that the only place to get ethanol free fuel in NJ is either airports or marinas. The airport pump I'm thinking of using is the closest (15 minutes or so) with the next closest being a marina on Lake Hopatcong which is an hour away and it's probably dockside fill up only. The airport pump is accessible 24/7.

So explain "oxygenated"? Do you mean alcohols, ethers, and/or esters? They are not in AV gas.

AV gas is strictly regulated and those regs have not changed for 100LL in a long time.

I have my saws running 100LL, and have a tune log. If I can get/or use non-corn pump gas I have a log for that. Most every saw requires the screws turned in with AV gas.

I do use non-corn when milling as there is lead in 100LL and I go through a LOT of fuel.

I started using AV gas in equipment before E-10, back when they started using methyl t-butyl ether in gasoline. (Besides groundwater pollution , there are other issues with MTBE in fuels.)

Before that I ran it in one of my cars, when you could still drive up, and filler up at the airport.
No ethanol, but it is an oxygenated fuel. in the racing circuit, it’s one way of getting more oxygen into the engine. You just need to be able to open the screws up enough to allow more fuel. The rich or lean conditions of one mix versus the other could be due to several factors I suppose. No reason why it couldn’t be richer after switching to 100LL. I’ve only been around it a limited amount. An Mtronic 261 would barely run on it

Back