Ax-men and Theft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
On last night's episode of Axmen, Jay Browning had someone ride a quad up into an area he was scouting and steal his 660. The previous episode documented another crew as they dealt with the fallout from someone stealing 3000 feet of rigging rope ($4500 loss).

This got me wondering: is the filming of the show attracting unwanted attention to these particular sites which then results in the theft or is such theft common at logging sites?

Seems to me these guys are veterans of the business (with a couple exceptions) and would/should know by now not to leave things unattended.

I think the show would be done shooting before airing the first episode. But don't know for sure.

On last night's episode of Axmen, Jay Browning had someone ride a quad up into an area he was scouting and steal his 660.

"and steal his 660." I haven't seen last nights episode, I'll go watch it now, dtv, but is the wording to you quote above right?

Absolutely. They're not filming live. It's miles of video that an editor pieces together for the shows and Mike Rowe narrates over the top of it.

That's nothing new having people (especially on weekends) come around the logging areas. We never leave anything besides machinery on site and even then it's locked and if possible we gate the road or take a grapple skidder and throw/plow some boulders across the way. Even then, unfortunately, if someones determined they'll get in and screw with the stuff.

No pity for the fool who gets caught messing around with a loggers gear.........

I didn't see it in the previews of the upcoming shows but that would change the pace, huh.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I am sorry mihalek, I misread that part of your post. I got it straight now.

I know how he feels. Last year I was grinding stumps in a backyard in the city and I got ripped off $4,000.00 worth of equipment. Brand new 065 and a 046 Mag. Also a Stihl leaf blower and my gas air compressor along with a box of tools. The low lifes took it right out of my truck broad daylight. Jay hit it right on the head last night when he said that there is nothing worse then a thief. Of course my insurance never covered the loss.

I was thinking that during the filming there might be some helicopters hovering above a site with cameras, some fancy rental trucks for the camera crews and stuff like that which might attract the attention of some local good-for-nothings. So then these low-lifes ride over to see what the commotion is all about, see some stuff and decide to steal it.

If stuff is on a road, and sometimes even if locked up, it tends to disappear. The days of the smelly, gruff old watchmen are gone. Not enough profit to hire them. Maybe one of those "Puppy Girl" dogs like Bookerdog has would work.

A friend of mike works for a tree service company. He was working in a bucket by himself when a truck load of illegals pulled up. By the time he got to the ground the 2 passengers had opened compartments and grabbed a saw and a Lewis winch and the truck was gone.

tis very sad

maybe we should institute a forein policy on thieves here! if caught stealing cut thier frigging hand off!!!!!

i hate a :censored: thief

Saw and rigging theft is getting worse these days. I was at the local Stihl shop a month or so ago and heard that there are guys with binoculars watching the local logging crews at the end of the day, and even well buried chainsaws were being stolen. So now most crews take their saws home with them. Some larger logging sites have watch people around here if they are logging on a BLM road that does not have gates. Locals with trailers in need of places to camp pretty much do it for cheap, with the hope of getting a little side work here and there. We had one guy up the road here for about a month last fall camped at a yarding platform. We also have a few people around here that live in smaller trailers that they can get up the roads that do long term fire watch in summer during fire restricted cutting. I always come across a few of them above us scattered around in the hills in summer.

A friend of mike works for a tree service company. He was working in a bucket by himself when a truck load of illegals pulled up. By the time he got to the ground the 2 passengers had opened compartments and grabbed a saw and a Lewis winch and the truck was gone.

I carry my .45 auto with me here. Some Mexicans come up and steal stuff while I am working, the bullets will fly. Reminds me of a thread to start; all this crap in CA today about whailing illegals screaming about rights violations by the INS becasue they are watching schools. What a load of BS! Illegals have so many rights now, they may as well take over. Oh, wait a minute, they already have.

I carry my .45 auto with me here. Some Mexicans come up and steal stuff while I am working, the bullets will fly. Reminds me of a thread to start; all this crap in CA today about whailing illegals screaming about rights violations by the INS becasue they are watching schools. What a load of BS! Illegals have so many rights now, they may as well take over. Oh, wait a minute, they already have.

Beware. During the 80s, a tree planting crew here was suspected of stealing stuff. Locals slashed the tires on their van. Turned out, it was some of the local people stealing stuff.

Absolutely. They're not filming live. It's miles of video that an editor pieces together for the shows and Mike Rowe narrates over the top of it.

That's nothing new having people (especially on weekends) come around the logging areas. We never leave anything besides machinery on site and even then it's locked and if possible we gate the road or take a grapple skidder and throw/plow some boulders across the way. Even then, unfortunately, if someones determined they'll get in and screw with the stuff.

It's actually Thom Beers that narrates it, not Mike Rowe. Beers is the same guy that narrates Ice Road Truckers and also produced both of those shows, plus Deadliest Catch (which Mike Rowe does narrate).

maybe we should institute a forein policy on thieves here! if caught stealing cut thier frigging hand off!!!!!

i hate a :censored: thief

The trick is to catch them. They would be begging for some one to call the police. To err is human to forgive is not my policy.

Beware. During the 80s, a tree planting crew here was suspected of stealing stuff. Locals slashed the tires on their van. Turned out, it was some of the local people stealing stuff.

Never fear; I shoot at them only when they are at the scene of the crime. Guy near here was ripped off for an art collection last year. He is an art restorer, and lives further off the beaten track than we do. Someone had the balls to go up there and steal his stuff in a van. More than likely an insider in the fine art trade. I doubt thet the illegals would have a clue as to what the art was worth or where to unload it. We are fortunate in that we do not have many illegals around here. Actually none out here in this little village. I have had hunters shoot toward me poaching on this property; I have busted a few of them over the years too.

If my stuff is ever stolen, I would cruise Ebay and Craigslist, and the local pawn shops. More than likely it would turn up pretty fast. More than likely at the latest tweeker meth lab rental around here. They tend to move around, usually after they get busted. Not hard to find; caravans of 2 and 3 cars going out the highway, and 10 minutes they are back in again, back and forth all day and night in beater cars and trucks. Next thing yah know, the property is listed on the sheriff's auction.

"I'd like to spit some Beech Nut and that dudes eye and shoot'em with my ole .45, cause country boy's can survive."

If only this were a musical. That's how I roll, except it's a .357 Sig.

I never liked double action semi-autos. For me its the single action Glock or the Colt .45. I love the simplicity and the design of the model 1911. It cannot be beat. I have tritium sites and lightweight trigger, and several other custom features. It shoots straight, for an automatic.

Latest posts

Back