Back at it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got the field empty just in time to start filling it again. I have two tree guys dropping off wood- not free but very reasonable in my mind. One guy drops the wood in logs and the other drops it off in rounds cut to around 16" in length. In the last 3 weeks they have dropped off probably about 70 cords worth.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

OMG!!! That's some nice looking wood for sure. I'd say that you are going to be a bit busy for awhile.
Any time you can get wood at a good price, it's worth taking. I just got these two loads and two more on the way if the ground ever freezes up again. ..

Logs15C.jpg

Good deal.

You're indeed fortunate, obviously markets vary, but sourcing wood around here is getting tough.

Last 2 years the biggest issue I've had with the wood business is being supplied with raw stock. Being in competition with pellet mills, mulch plants and commercial bio-mass boilers have made treelength in quantity to firewood guys like me harder and harder to come by. If I have to beg and scrape like last year, I'm definitely cutting back on sales this year. Every cloud does have a silver lining though, I used the treelength shortage as an excuse to tell a few of the PITA customers to look for an alternate supplier.

Are you a one man band like me or do you hire some help as needed?

Take Care

OMG!!! That's some nice looking wood for sure. I'd say that you are going to be a bit busy for awhile.
Any time you can get wood at a good price, it's worth taking. I just got these two loads and two more on the way if the ground ever freezes up again. ..

View attachment 472905

What did they bring you?

Looks like 10 to 12 footers or am I just out of perspective? Looks very clean to boot, does your supplier forward the logs out? Only thing I like better to work with than stuff that's been forwarded out is treelength run through a processing head and had 75% of the bark and nubs removed. To bad that supplier went belly up, really liked his product.

Take Care

Good deal.

You're indeed fortunate, obviously markets vary, but sourcing wood around here is getting tough.

Last 2 years the biggest issue I've had with the wood business is being supplied with raw stock. Being in competition with pellet mills, mulch plants and commercial bio-mass boilers have made treelength in quantity to firewood guys like me harder and harder to come by. If I have to beg and scrape like last year, I'm definitely cutting back on sales this year. Every cloud does have a silver lining though, I used the treelength shortage as an excuse to tell a few of the PITA customers to look for an alternate supplier.

Are you a one man band like me or do you hire some help as needed?

Take Care
I do most of it myself but I do hire out some splitter help. I've done 100+ cords 4 years in a row and have a full time job plus 3 kids. I work hard at it but I don't need to be a slave to it.

Jrider, Looks Good, Job well done. The MIL was saying that you had some real nice weather out there. We are finally starting to freeze up around here so the suppliers will be hauling again.

We had that flu bug for a few weeks now but feeling better today. Hope to get back at it myself to make room for another load. Someone sent an email saying he wants to bring out some logs on Tuesday. I'll see what takes place.

I'd be proud to have a stack like yours.. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That's an impressive pile of heat!! I had 18 days off plant shutdown for maintenance. Between the rain and this damn flu I can't shake:mad: I got nothing but a cord of wood and a small doe to show for it.

What do you split with? By hand?:laughing: Seriously...... Also do you sell by ton, scoop, trailer, etc.? Not trying to hijack the thread. Just trying to understand how you get the right $ for your product.

What do you split with? By hand?:laughing: Seriously...... Also do you sell by ton, scoop, trailer, etc.? Not trying to hijack the thread. Just trying to understand how you get the right $ for your product.
I have an Iron and Oak with a 4 way wedge. I sell it by the cord - full cords or half cords only. I have a dump truck that holds 2 cords and I hand load it. People say there is no money in firewood sales but I make enough to stay happy. I like to keep things simple and just plug away at it all year long.

Cool. Thanks jrider. I feel like there is money in it too. If you can get the wood without too much effort and have the space to do it this way. Do you let your piles set for a year at minimum?

Cool. Thanks jrider. I feel like there is money in it too. If you can get the wood without too much effort and have the space to do it this way. Do you let your piles set for a year at minimum?
Generally 6-12 months. I get the oak done ASAP then move onto the mixed.

Back