Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful looking saw. Is she a 10 mm??? Any mods???

She is not a 10mm even though the covers are that style. It is a 12mm with a dual port muffler. I have a new metal tag to go on the top cover. After I bought the flip cap tank and installed a friend of mine showed me a OEM tank that is in good condition he has for sale. Dadgummit, you'd think I was done forking out green backs for this thing! :D

Thank **** that is over! 039 POS![emoji13]

7fee06be269d20e44d7fde6cf773456c.jpg
b6a4d31a4d48cefcbea3da90472862a6.jpg

Onwards and upwards!!! My CD2100 resto next [emoji16]

Sent from my iStihl.

She is not a 10mm even though the covers are that style. It is a 12mm with a dual port muffler. I have a new metal tag to go on the top cover. After I bought the flip cap tank and installed a friend of mine showed me a OEM tank that is in good condition he has for sale. Dadgummit, you'd think I was done forking out green backs for this thing! :D

Nice looking saw, enjoy it. My 044 #1 has a 440 tank handle, as does my 046 (a 460 tank handle). I'm kinda just used to them, and they don't leak (my 044 handle just needed a new cap) and the tank breather is better. It is also easier to see your fuel level with the new tanks, so for a working saw, I kinda like them.

I put one 029 engine together, well, made it into an 039. I may try to put it into the saw tomorrow if it works out that I can, then I'll start on number two.
You using the Hutzl kit for the 039/MS390. If so I am curious as to whether you pressure and vacuum test before you run them. (remembering a previous thread on these and was considering buying one -- don't remember the outcome of the thread as to whether there was a significant problem with quality).

You using the Hutzl kit for the 039/MS390. If so I am curious as to whether you pressure and vacuum test before you run them. (remembering a previous thread on these and was considering buying one -- don't remember the outcome of the thread as to whether there was a significant problem with quality).
Actually, I'm not using the Huztl kit. The cylinder is one called a Mahle. The piston only is AM but not Farmer Tech, it came from the US but I can't remember the vendor, maybe I still have the box it came in, I'll check on it tomorrow. And no, I'm not gonna pressure test this one, it's gonna have all new stuff in it including pulse hose, seals, etc. I may not need a new piston in the next one, it looks good through the ports but I may check compression before I decide.

Has Farmer Tec got as good a name as Golf for Pistons?
But I wasn't going to pay $220 for a piston from Stihl!
Just used a FT with the 039 I just rebuilt. [emoji52]

Sent from my iStihl.

Actually, I'm not using the Huztl kit. The cylinder is one called a Mahle. The piston only is AM but not Farmer Tech, it came from the US but I can't remember the vendor, maybe I still have the box it came in, I'll check on it tomorrow. And no, I'm not gonna pressure test this one, it's gonna have all new stuff in it including pulse hose, seals, etc. I may not need a new piston in the next one, it looks good through the ports but I may check compression before I decide.
Sure wish I could come up with a 039/MS390 cylinder right now. I need one for a project.

Back